We plan to use the IIWA in an industrial context in the following way:
- A real-time capable desktop computer (linux) sends targeted axis positions to the sunrise controller.
- The sunrise controller sends its axis positions to the computer.
Instead of using FRI, we want to use EtherCat (because of e.g. real-time requirements and future communication with /control of EtherCat-capable devices mounted on IIWA) for the communication between the computer and the sunrise controller. Therefore, we have the following questions:
- In the FRI case, the master is sunrise (and the computer is the slave). Right? is it still true in the EtherCat case mentioned above?
- What is the simplest way to establish a FRI-like EtherCat-connection between a destop computer and the iiwa controller sunrise?
- by attaching a fieldbus coupler with I/O at port X65 (KUKA bus extension) of sunrise and using the coupler API on the computer to read-write the I/Os?
- How to configure the communication frequency between computer and sunrise similarly to FRI (e.g., read/wite every 0.1 ms)?
We will appreciate any hint, since we are not familiar with IIWA.