From DXF to robot movements and pump control

• First of all, it's important to emphasise that I'm new to industrial robotics so excuse my ignorance on this topic. That's why I'm here to get some expert advice and guidance.

I'm working on a project that should deliver a robotic cell that dispenses a liquid material onto a flat surface. The information where the material should be is in the DXF file and selected by the operator. There will be numerous different files so the robot control software needs to be flexible. This DXF file needs to be converted to robot movement instructions. Also the dispensing pump controller needs to be implemented that will control how much of the material is dispensed based on the nozzle absolute speed.

So here is my first batch of questions:
    1. To which file format should DXF file be converted? G-code? Note that this conversion will be done automatically on a PC. Any examples?
    2. How would you send instructions to the robot? Profinet? Fill the cyclic buffer?
    3. What would the software on the robot controller look like? KRL code?
    4. Where would you place dispensing pump control - in the robot controller or PC? Why?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Place your Ad here!
  • [size=2]forum is meant to point you in the right direction, not replace formal training or give you turn key solutions.[/size]
    [size=2]how much is this worth to you, or more precisely how much you are willing to pay?
    [/size]

[size=2]1. G-code would be ok, but DXF is also just a text file so capable KRL program can interpret it directly (not that i would recommend it).[/size]
    [size=2]2. sure[/size]
    [size=2]3. sure[/size]
    [size=2]4. i would not put any displenser into a PC[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi panic mode,
    thanks for your answer. I'm sorry if you interpreted my message as an request for training or turn key solution. The intention was to get some advice from experts like you who might have encountered a similar problem. You asked how much I'm willing to pay - as little as possible of course. :icon_mrgreen: If you are interested in making a quote or offer your consultancy services per hour please feel free to PM me. I'm very interested in your opinion.

• The problem is, there's essentially no off-the-shelf solution for this.

Just getting from the DXF to a robot program is non-trivial, and depends on a lot of details. I've seen people write home-brew applications that do this, but always as part of bespoke solutions.

G-code is an option, but then you'd have to have a translator to go from G-Code to KRL, or buy the KUKA CNC option package that allows the robot to read GC natively.

Then you'd have to have a means of putting your pump on/off commands into the resulting code. If you use a G-Code tool chain, this might be as simple as hijacking the Spindle commands and piping them into the I/O that controls the pump.

Definitely all I/O control should come from the robot. Trying to tie the robot and PC together for realtime control is an entire other world of potential issues and technical development.

• I just had very similar project to this.

I converted dxf file with help of AutoCad and Excel to KRL instructions, but I had to change it very rarely, so I can't answer your 2nd question since I updated dispensing job paths with laptop.

To adjust dispensing amount of material, based on TCP speed, we used pneumatic pump with dispensing needle that have adjustable opening which is controlled with servo motor as external robot axe.