Am I writing / running KAREL the hardway?

• I have a computer science background and I'm working on an interdisciplinary robotics project. Fanuc is my 2nd taste of robotics after having worked with Universal Robots.

Fanuc_KAREL_hello_world.md
    GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.
    gist.github.com

I wrote this which outlines how I created a hello world KAREL program using a CRX-20iA/L controller on ROBOGUIDE V9.40274 with Windows11.

It was a huge pain and I want to know, am I doing it the hard way?

I plan to write a server / client socket implementation in the future where the robot is acting as a server executing move commands sent from a Python client and I fear this is my fate for the next few weeks.

• Place your Ad here!
  • MOM

Approved the thread.
  • What are you trying to achieve, specifically?

Fanuc has many interfaces to their robots, and writing Karel to implement a motion server might not be how you want to spend your time.

Have you looked at Remote Motion Interface R912?

• I'm with a team supporting an open source testing platform designed to assist businesses with things like Q/A, R&D and maintenance. We're writing programs that interface with tools, like robots, which will abstract away programming aspects for operators.

I've made motion servers for other manufactures in a similar way and I've been asked to attempt it with Fanuc.

• support for motion in karel was discontinued in the 90's. using karel motion today is not a good idea at all (unless you like the motion from a 30 years old motion planner). as suggested several times here, it is better to use an existing interface like remote motion interface.

• Wanted to report that I was able to accomplish what I set out to do strictly with KAREL and Python.

This GUI interacts with a Python script. The script sends a message to a KAREL server. The KAREL server parses the message then moves the robot contingent on it's payload.

236565884-c15f7dab-2ed4-4590-be3e-899b3a7b7999.gif