Advertising

Robot Programming by VW Standart

• Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask weather anyone has some materials that you would be wiling to share on robot programming by Volkswagen standart: for example main application signals, structure of the programm, communication between robots and PLC and so on. I would really appreciate any sort a help in this regard since I am very new with programming using VW standart.

• AD
  • VW? ...ugh.

It's been years since I was involved with VW. And I don't have any documents handy.

What I can recall of the VW programming standard:

1. All robots must be programmed in the vehicle coordinate system. This actually makes sense, but means that you have to take extra care in your base/frame setup at the start. It can get a bit tricky with pedestal-welding robots.

2. Every Pick/Drop operation sets a trigger condition that monitors the status of the part-present sensors on the end effector. For example, after picking a part, this monitor condition will throw a fault if any of the part-present sensors go false, until the monitor condition is formally shut off at the Drop operation.

3. As of ~10 years ago (about the time VW was switching from KUKAs to Fanucs) they were still using optical Interbus-S for all their I/O. And setting up the communication required the configuration software tool from Phoenix Contact

4. VW is obsessive about adherence to their standard, even when it doesn't make any sense. Also their record-keeping -- they want a master copy of every Interbus setup file generated from the config software, for each robot, for example.

• RenarsIT, if You are already in a VW plant, I advise You to ask the docs to Electrical Planning techniciana of Your project.

VASS Roboter Standard has small updates from project to project, and the best course is work with the docs regarding to Your specific project.

But If You want just take look, drop me a message.

• RenarsIT, if You are already in a VW plant, I advise You to ask the docs to Electrical Planning techniciana of Your project.

VASS Roboter Standard has small updates from project to project, and the best course is work with the docs regarding to Your specific project.

But If You want just take look, drop me a message.

Hello massula,

Since I will be able to have some work in plant only starting with January It would be great if you could give me some info to check and look into till then. Thank you very much.

• Not really. VW kept using all the KRs until they were fully depreciated. But on their regular replacement schedule, they bought Fanucs to replace the KRs. Those KRs would have ended up on the 2nd-hand market at about the same time, in about the same shape, even if they'd been replaced with more KUKAs.

• Nowadays VW is using KUKA, FANUCs and now ABBs with VASS standard.

The brand varies from project to project, and from country to country.

Last projects made here in Brazil were almost all FANUC. Current project running on Argentina uses ABB and KUKA.