Touch-sensing and wire brake

• Good afternoon everyone.

I have fanuc 120ib/10l with rj3ib controller.

Our company runs mig welding and we had a problem that part is shifted.

So, we used touch-sensing and there was a progress but still can't get enough result because we don't have wire brake and cutter.

We will buy wire cutter and install wire brake on the torch gun

My question is

When we install wire brake on the torch gun, how do I activate wire brake on/off with teach-pendant.

Is there anything we need to do configuration or wiring into the controller?

(our weld gun is tregasskiss)

Any advice would be appreciate a lot

• When I did welding applications:

- I had stationary torch cleaner and wire cutter.

- Before each welding job the robot did wire cut to make sure that you have correct length wire for TCP position.

- Do not remember about wire brake system....it could be that it was embedded into our wire feeder that is installed on the robot's J3 arm. Never had problem with wire brake, so I won't be able to help you with it. If I misunderstood the question then please describe it with more details.

If your application require high accuracy for your wire then you need to install laser sensor to detect wire offset after cut to apply wire's position compensation into your TCP.

Maybe one more advise. When you will teach your wire cutting position, make sure that it's same as your TCP. So you won't make wire too short or too long.

• Thank you so much for advice, Scotty.

Our issue is that even if we cut the wire from wire cutter, while robot travels air move in order to get weld point, wire is feeding or retracting automatically(not too much but enough to miscalculate in touch sensing). We tried to adjust tension of wire feeder as well but we couldn't keep the wire length same after we cut the wire.

That's why we need to install wire brake on weld gun which is connected to J3 and wondering how to activate brake on/off through the teach pendant.(module A is installed inside of controller, fyi)

I know laser sensor will give us more accuracy unfortunately, laser sensor is not our option

But again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you

• Yes, like Scotty stated, you will see 100 percent difference with what we call here a torch tender. It cleans the nozzle and also before every program with touch sense has a wire clipper. Usually the clippers will keep it close enough it won’t hurt, but if it deviates a lot we made our own wire check system based off the wire length etc. Basically a simple research motion that will keep the robot in a loop until the correct outcome is made. The most important is the wire cutter out of the two though, wire brake is helpful but we have many that for some reason or another we had to disengage and they still work perfect. Edit: I just read your response after typing this, and realized that the wire brake was needed. Ours is activated through a universal Output if that helps? Our cells are mainly yaskawa though.

• I just went through the installation on a 120iC and an R30iA. I am not 100% sure that they are the same, but this is what I had to do.

I purchased the mount with brake and jump liner from Tregaskiss.

I purchased 1/8" nylon tubing, 1/4" nylon tubing, 1/8" to 1/4" push to connect adapters, 1/4" tube size 1/8 universal thread (NPT, NPS, BSPP, BSPT) push to connect fittings from McMaster, Allen Bradley 3 Pin Pico Straight connector P/N 889P-F3AB-5, Festo Brake Solenoid P/N VUVG-LK14-M52-AT-G18-1R8L-S, Fujikura part number JMSP1305M (Harness Adapter)

Install all this with an air regulator to regulate pressure b/w 40-60 PSI.

Use RO1 to enable or disable the solenoid and engage or disengage the brake.

• Yes, like Scotty stated, you will see 100 percent difference with what we call here a torch tender. It cleans the nozzle and also before every program with touch sense has a wire clipper. Usually the clippers will keep it close enough it won’t hurt, but if it deviates a lot we made our own wire check system based off the wire length etc. Basically a simple research motion that will keep the robot in a loop until the correct outcome is made. The most important is the wire cutter out of the two though, wire brake is helpful but we have many that for some reason or another we had to disengage and they still work perfect. Edit: I just read your response after typing this, and realized that the wire brake was needed. Ours is activated through a universal Output if that helps? Our cells are mainly yaskawa though.

Thank you so much, Tcgatorfan

I also confirmed with Fanuc that we have to use RDO which is Robot Digital output for activation.

We ordered wire brake, wire trimmer and can't wait to install and test it for better results.

Again, I really appreciate your support. Cheers

• Thanks a lot JDRyan,

I also talked to Fanuc tech support and here is what they said, just inform anyone who needs this

information for the future

Wire Brake is typically controlled by air. The air solenoid is typically mounted on J3 and the EE connector RDO[1] is used to pull in the solenoid and apply the brake. Hardware for this is supplied by the torch manufacturers or the integrators.

Just quick question, for the solenoid, what type of solenoid do we need? has to be 5/2?

Tregaskiss said they don't supply solenoid, so We need to purchase it separately

any information about solenoid would be helpful.

• Yeah. Make the jumper harness with the part numbers in my first post. Blue and black wires go to pin 1 (RDO1) and pin 3 (0v) doesn't matter which goes to which. Connect it to the solenoid and the EE (end effector) connector by J3/Wire feeder.

Lincoln sells the EE connector and wire if you need to source them.

• Hey JDRyan.

I am trying to purchase those item you listed. I wanted to know how to connect those.

so, female end of 3pin pico cable goes to solenoid. and the other end of pico cable, there are

3 wires, which are black blue and brown. where do I need to wire those cables?

another question is fujikura harness adapter. it looks like one side is connected to EE on J3. and how do I connect it to the solenoid?

I really appreciate it

Advertising from our partners