Best practices when creating work spaces

• Currently working on improving a couple things on our training cell (see this link to see the training cell) and I was pondering what everyone does when creating work spaces from scratch for a new application. Generally on our production equipment we don't modify the work spaces, although I have added a few basic ones sporadically. When I did create new or modify existing ones I more or less just jogged the robot around to get a approximate value for my cube. Not necessarily the most efficient way to do this. Does anyone have tips/tricks for setting up new work spaces? I have use of AutoCad and K-Roset and have been playing around with doing a rough layout in AutoCad and then creating a obstacle in K-Roset to sort of plot the Work Space in advance. Still feels like I'm doing a lot of guessing/eyeballing values. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• AD
  • I try and use the following method:

- A fabricated tool with the correct TCP to reflect the known tool, and the same in KROSET model.

- Accurate dimensioned cell layout modelling within KROSET.

- I create transparent 'boxes' to represent the actual workspace dimension using the shape generator.

- I then use the robot to 'teach the lower and upper corners (vertices) of the 'transparent box'.

- This then represents the 'actual size' and lower/upper limit values that I enter into the workspace fields.

- But instead I create a file for AUX DATA and put my workspace values in there and just load into the live robot and 'tweak' where required.