Kuka TwinCAT configuration change

• Hello,

We have a Kuka with some Beckhoff i/o cards already assigned and working. The Kuka is utilizing system software 8.2. I need to change 1 output card to an output card of a different type (PNP to NPN). I currently ran relays to get by.

From my understanding, I need to reconfigure the card in TwinCat System Manager. Does that reside in the Windows installation of the robot? If so, how do I get there? I am going from a Beckhoff EL2809 to an EL2889. I am pretty new to both Kuka and TwinCat.

Thanks,

• Place your Ad here!
  • If the buscoupler (usually EK1100) for those modules is controlled by KEB (X44 on CCU) then those I/Os are under spell of KRC4 controller and that means configuration is done in WorkVisual. This will most likely need older WoV (2.4.6 for example)

Steps include:
    1. downloading and importing device description file for new module into DTM catalog (unless it is already there)
    2. establishing connection to KLI of your controller and transferring working WoV project from KRC4 to your laptop with WorkVisual
    3. noting mapping of I/Os on existing module (EL2809) so you can remap it later on.
    4. removing that module (if you really want to)
    5. inserting new module in same place in KEB topology
    6. mapping I/O (restore same mapping you had before)
    7. save project as different file name (add revision for example)
    8. Deploy to controller and activate.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks Panic Mode. This may actually present more questions than answers! sorry.

1. what is DTM catalog?
    2. what is KLI and WoV? I surmise WoV is a WorkVisual project?
    3. what is KEB?
    4. where can i get WorkVisual? I seemed to be unable to find it on Kukas site.

Thanks again.

Steps include:
    1. downloading and importing device description file for new module into DTM catalog (unless it is already there)
    2. establishing connection to KLI of your controller and transferring working WoV project from KRC4 to your laptop with WorkVisual
    3. noting mapping of I/Os on existing module (EL2809) so you can remap it later on.
    4. removing that module (if you really want to)
    5. inserting new module in same place in KEB topology
    6. mapping I/O (restore same mapping you had before)
    7. save project as different file name (add revision for example)
    8. Deploy to controller and activate.
    [/quote]

• DTM = Device Type Management

1. it is a library of products. Before devices can be inserted into projects, they must be added to DTM catalog (library). This import is a step in described process. it exists in any controls software that deals with fieldbuses and it is also known as "hardware catalog"
    2. KLI is Kuka Line Interface as described in robot documentation (check READ FIRST). WoV is WorkVisual
    3. KEB is Kuka Extension Bus. It is an EtherCat network meant to add I/O to KRC4.
    4. read READ FIRST. you can get copy from your robot (should be on D:\WorkVisual) or http://www.kuka.com download section

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks Panic.
    I was able to get WOV 4.0. After verifying requirements it should be the correct version. When I connect to the current robot to grab the WOV project, will that pull the current SRC and DAT files, or will it pull what was transferred to the robot when the WOV was transferred? I do now some of the programs and positions have been changed over time, so when I load the new configuration in, I want to be sure I do not overwrite any of the logic and positions.

• WoV4 will pull current state from robot (deployed project will be updated with any file changes before transfer from KRC to WoV)

3) read 1 and 2

• [size=2]yes, it's been a while that KSS/WoV do rebuild of the deployed project before transfer.[/size]
    [size=2]but this was not always the case. using older software versions returned WoV project as it (as it was deployed) or at best, only programs would be updated but not configuration. This was painful to use since any little change made on smartPad used to get lost, even if one tries to pull project from controller. [/size]

3) read 1 and 2