Is it possible to automate the backups generation while working in RobotStudio?

• Hello all,

Lately RS is giving me all sorts of fun, mostly it decides to crash after a while and I loose 1 or 2 hours of work.

Given the Autosave thing is useless (after a crash the only auto-thing you can do is crying under the table).

Is it possible to automate the backups generation?

I would like to be able to get a backup done every 10 or 20 minutes in a temporal folder... of course, I could delete that folder at the end of the day and just keep the interesting backups.

Any idea if this is possible?

PS: just in case, my current development machine is a Thinkpad P14s with 32GB RAM, a Ryzen 5850u with 8 cores and 16 threads which is more than capable to run RS.

As always, thank you in advance!

• AD
  • Solution:

Unless that fails because there could be read only files, it seems that Rs allows you to make automated backups...

In fact it seems it makes exactly what I described before.

You can go to File->Options->Autosave and there enable automatic backups of station files and enable automatic backup of controllers in solution.

You can change the number of backups and the minute interval it will use: it is the same amount of time it uses to autosave the station.

PS: it seems it only creates a certain amount of backups in the folder.

What I don't know is if the backups on the same day will have different names (which would be the best given the current rate of crashes). Yep, it stores the backup with the time also.

:)

• If autosave works for you - awesome. I like control over my saves so I save whenever I take a break, make changes or make substantial progress. I label my backups with a sequential number at the end and keep most the old backups till the project is done. I refuse to lose work anymore and this system works for me at work & home. Besides, what customer/boss wants to hear the last 4 hours they paid you was for nothing.

Glad you found a solution and good luck with your project!