New to Fanuc. Challenge given. Need some help to understand, please.

• Hello,

I'm very new to Fanuc. I was given a challenge, that is basically as follows;

"explain to us how the robot does its communication with the PLC in these 2 robots?
    Please make a local copy of the files before you start working with them.
    You can open them using notepad++.
    Can you make a little report about how the robot programs are started from a command given by the PLC?
    What does this structure look like and how does it work?"

I understand how to open the files and look through them, of course. It is rather vague though. I'm not sure exactly what to look for or how to explain the process. I'm used to the KUKA file format. What files should i be looking for, to explain what they are looking for. I have RoboGuide. I've opened the files in Roboguide and Notepad++. I can see the PLC commands and how it is talking to the robot in multiple programs, I'm just not sure that's what they're looking for.

Unfortunately i can not provide the backup, because of confidentiality issues, but I'm assuming, if it IS like kuka, most backups/file layouts are pretty similar (specific tech packages excluded).

I want to understand, of course, so if anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

• Place your Ad here!

• I'll give it a shot, line by line, see if it is close to what you are looking for.

explain to us how the robot does its communication with the PLC in these 2 robots?

To me, this would sound like an explanation of the communication protocol. For our plant, all of our robot-plc communication is done in one of three ways. A hardwired digital I/O connection, where each connection is one bit, and the two communicate by turning bits on and off. This is common if the UOP is all of the communication you have. Second and third way are both over Ethernet/IP, one being bit by bit as with a hardwired connection, the other being Explicit Messaging to write value directly to variables in the robot controller and pull values similarly.

Please make a local copy of the files before you start working with them.

This seems more like a command than a question. We are installing memory cards with PCMCIA adapters in each of our controllers and keeping a time stamped Image and All of Above backup locally inside each robot. This makes sure that if we screw something up, we can quickly recover. This is always good practice.

You can open them using notepad++.

The AOA backup will produce copies of TP programs that can be read via NPPP, along with some of the configuration files (not all). This can be useful for tracking out some of the communication points, which it sounds like what they may be interested in.

Can you make a little report about how the robot programs are started from a command given by the PLC?

This seems like the most clear and simple request. What start method are you using, and what additional communication is going on to get the correct program to run? RSR, PNS, Other are all valid methods. We typically use RSR to launch a single main program, then Digital I/O from the PLC to branch into specific sub-programs as needed. It is easier and more readable than using a separate RSR for each program, and necessary with a high number of programs. Other can be a really good method with Explicit messaging and BG Logic, a you can set a system variable to the name of the program you want to launch.

What does this structure look like and how does it work?

This will be a bit trickier and is very subjective to what they want to see. I would start out with some sort of diagram showing the conversation between the PLC and Robot and how that leads to the robot running the desired program.