I cannot remember accurately, but my CS8 controller looked a little different inside. Mine did not have a battery but a capacitor instead. When I reached a BIOS hang up, I left the controller on for several hours and it then booted up fine. We call that process "out gassing" .
I then got a STARC card error. I will not go through the details, but the Staubli software designer requires the fiber optic lines to be in optimal order. I replaced the fiber optic lines with a pair of lines that run directly from the STARC card to the robot base. I eliminated two junctions in each line and the pair cost about $100 delivered from a company that matched the connectors.
My robot was used as a prototype and had only about 100 hours on it. I was told that the company that used it was a state of the art robot company. After I was able to get through their passwords. I looked at their code and I was not impressed at the simplicity of the code. It consisted of only movej, movel, waitEndMove and a few DIO commands.
My system uses the robot as a slave. It receives about 10 coded commands ( a bunch of if/thens, it is very simple) moves if needed and returns position and a few status bytes all through the serial port. I have a vacuum pick-up, clamp and a renishaw probe on the hand.
Good luck getting your robot operational.