Kuka-Keyence through ethernet

• Firstly I want to thank you for your great work in forum
    I have a keyence camera and I need to know if the robot can communicate with the ethernet controller of the camera. I've done through rs232 but I need to make communication via ethernet.
    Thanks.

• The current (KRC2) and previous versions of the KUKA system (not sure about the new KRC4) do not support basic serial communication across ethernet. The closest thing they offer is the optional Tech Package KUKA.Ethernet KRL XML (EKX). This would require that the Keyence camera supports XML and I don't know if that is true.

• The last Keyence camera I worked with (about 4 years ago) could not deal with XML-formatted command strings. It needed to do RS-232 style Telnet transfers of simple command/response strings. And KRL doesn't support that, for reasons which are impossible for me to understand. I mean, even the cheap industrial robots support simple TCP-port string TX/RX. Seriously, someone in Augsburg is really missing the mark on this one.

I know of someone who once wrote a .NET application that ran in the Windows side of the KRC2 and could mediate TCP communications between KRL and a Keyence camera over Ethernet, but since that was a corporate project I doubt he could share his code freely. However, I did get the impression that, once you puzzled out how to transfer variables between Windows and KRL, the rest wasn't too difficult for someone with decent .NET programming skills.

• cant believe i missed this one.

the KUKA can communicate to a keyence camera through ethernet. the older versions of keyence in my opinion were better suited for this because you could recieve notification for connect and disconnect signals to the camera. i believe that was the cv-5000 series. the newer cameras have an sdk but there is quite a bit of stuff missing.

the transmission of information to the camera is pretty straightforward. you send a value and it sends a value back. the transmission of an image on the other hand is another story.

I can probably answer any questions you have and i may be able to dig up a screen shot or two.

• I know this topic is quite old but can you help me doing this? (Connecting Kuka KRC4 to Keyence by ethernet)
    Have you got any examples?

thank you so much!

Advertising from our partners