Problem with the connection between KRC Kuka Roboter and my computer

• Hi everybody!

My name is Luis, and I´m new user in this forum.

I would like someone can help me about the connection between KRC Robot and my computer.

I only have to create a local network between two computers by a crossover wire RJ45, I know it is not difficult to do it, but it ocurrs a problem when I try to look for the IP in my personal computer because the Office Lite program creates a virtual network target, and I don´t know how I do it.

The crossover wire is ok beacuse i have done a test in other computer, so in my personal computer doesn´t recognize the wire because of ( I think) this virtual network.
    How can I solucionate this problem ? Please, help me.

Thanks.

• Just to be clear: you have an actual, physical KRC unit, not an OfficeLite installation?

The trick to connecting a KRC to a network is to adjust the correct network interface.

In the KRC, if you go into the WindowsXP Control Panel, Network Connections, you should see two network connections. One of these is an internal virtual network connection that makes the contact between the Windows and VxWorks sides of the robot's brain, and has an IP of 192.0.1.2. DO NOT EVER TAMPER WITH THIS CONNECTION, it is a system-critical item and changing it will prevent the robot from booting.

The other connection is the physical Ethernet socket in the robot controller (this varies somewhat between different controller models, and you haven't said which one you have). This is usually defaulted to using a DHCP address. If you are just connecting your computer to this robot, you'll need to set this IP address to an IP compatible with your computer (do NOT use any IPs in the 192.0.1.* subnet, however), and use a Crossover ethernet cable (unless you have a hub/switch/router).

• Ok! thanks for 2 answers!!!

But, I keep on having a problem.

I comment to you, when I connect the croososver wire between the two computers, there isn´t connection because the green light doesn´t turn on. It´s such strange that I don´t know how I can solucionate the connection.
    I think the problem is in a Virtual network who called Realtime OS Virtual Network, this network is created when you install the program Office Lite.

Do you Know anything about this??

Thanks!!!!!!!

• The KRC is for a pattern Kuka´s robot, the pattern is KR 60 L30 HA

• Yes, but what model is the controller? Since this is an HA robot, I suspect the controller must be pretty new, which makes it most likely a KRC2, 2005 edition. On this controller, the standard ethernet port is on the motherboard of the internal computer. How many physical ethernet ports does your controller have?

At any rate, the Virtual Network connection is NOT the issue. That connection is absolutely necessary to the operation of OfficeLite and the KRC, and has no effect on the hardware ethernet connections.

Now, if there are no LEDs illuminated on the ethernet ports when you connect the cable, that is very strange. I would recommend obtaining an ethernet hub, and connecting the robot and the external computer to this hub. After doing this, the port LEDs should help determine whether the problem exists on the KRC, or on the external computer.

It is possible that the hardware ethernet port on one of the machines has been disabled in Windows XP. I would recommend checking both machines in the Windows Control Panel, or by using IPCONFIG in a command-line window.

• It´s ok everything what you tell me, but when I installed the Office Lite in my personal computer my network target dissappeared and it was substituted by Real time OS Virtual Network.
    By the way, in this moment my ethernet port is not ok, and I know this because I have tried to connect other computer (don´t have Office Lite), and the lights green and yelow is turn on without problems.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Can i unistall the Office Lite program so that I can observe if the virtual network has substituted my original network?

• Properties of Realtime OS Virtual Network :

Type of device : adaptador of network
    Manufacturer: Kuka Roboter GmbH
    Provider of controller: Kuka Roboter GmbH
    Date of controller: 22/12/2007
    Version of controller: 6.2.2.1

This is the information about the virtual network creates in my personal computer.
    I hope it can help you to know which is my problem.
    I very much appreciate your effort to explain everything to me.
    Thanks

• I think I understand now. You have a KR60L30HA that you would like to communicate with over Ethernet from your laptop. And your laptop has OfficeLite installed and you believe it is what is preventing your laptop from communicating. And one of the issues on your laptop is that the lights on the Ethernet port don't illuminate when you plug in your crossover cable. Is all this correct?

Was the port ever working? It may be turned off in the BIOS. And what are you trying to do with the Ethernet connection? Are you trying to transfer files or something?

No, the OfficeLite installation should not impact your laptop's other Ethernet communication. But if you think it is the problem, it would not hurt to un-install it. You can always re-install it later.

Your OfficeLite is not actually running while you are trying to do all this, is it? (OfficeLite does not play well with other applications.) Also if you have a VRC manager is in your Startup, move it. You only need to start it before you plan to start OfficeLite from KUKA Sim Pro.

• MeanRobot is correct. Your laptop's hardware ethernet port should not have been affected by installing OfficeLite. Is it possible that the port was simply disabled somehow in Windows settings? If you use Windows Hardware Manager on your laptop, does the port show up? What is its status? It's possible that an obsolete or corrupted driver could cause the port to cease functioning.

Do you have to use your OfficeLite laptop to connect to the KR60? OfficeLite is not required to connect to physical-world robot -- any regular computer with a working ethernet port should be able to make a simple network connection to a KRC.

• Hi MeanRobot and SkyFire!

You have said perfectly what I want to do, I want to connect my laptop with the KRC to transfer files without having to use a USB, for example.
    Yestedary i unistalled the Office Lite program and dissapeared the Real time OS Virtual Network, after I could connect the KRC with muy computer, :bravo: :bravo:
    But the problem is again, because today I´ve installed the Office Lite program and you know what happened? the Real time OS Virtual Network has appeared again :wallbash: :wallbash:

Real time OS Virtual Network = It´s a network creates to connect offline the Office Lite program with Kukla Sim.

Can I install the Office lite program with my network LAn together to transfer files from Office Lite to KRC?? or Is it better have the Office Lite in a different computer? I say this because when I install the program, it always replace my network to comunicate to KRC by Virtual network.

Thanks

• Okay, something is not right here.

KRC controllers run two Operating Systems in parallel: Windows to handle the user interface, and VxWorks to handle the critical realtime functions (I/O, motion, etc). Think of them as the left and right hemispheres of the robot's brain. These two OSs are not aware that they are running on the same machine -- they think they are running on separate machines, and communicate with each other using the Virtual Network connection, which acts somewhat like the Corpus Callosum in a human brain. Without the Virtual Network connection, the controller cannot function.

OfficeLite works the same way, except that it has been modified to use your computer's pre-existing Windows install as the Windows "host", and the VxWorks engine has been modified to work without KRC hardware or a connected robot arm. But under no circumstances should installing OfficeLite affect a computer's pre-existing hardware network interfaces. Also, the Virtual connection is not for connecting OfficeLite to KRSimPro, although it does serve that purpose as a secondary function -- it's primary function is the same as on a physical KRC controller.

There is one circumstance where a possible traffic conflict could arise: if your computer's hardware network connection uses a 192.0.1.* IP, traffic you're trying to send via that connection won't know which network connection to use. You should probably used a 192.168.*.* IP for the non-Virtual network connection. Modifying the Virtual connection on OfficeLite, or on the KRC, will cause the unit to stop functioning.

If, somehow, your OfficeLite is breaking your laptop's pre-existing network connection (I've never seen it happen, but nothing is impossible), I see three possible solutions:
    1. Contact KUKA service -- they may have encountered this before and know a work-around.
    2. Install OfficeLite on another computer.
    3. Create a Virtual Machine using VMWare or VirtualBox, and install/run OfficeLite inside that virtual machine. I'm using OL inside a VMware virtual machine right now, and I know other forumites have had success using VirtualBox (which has the advantage of being free).

Transferring programs from an OfficeLite to a physical KRC is as simply as copying the files onto a USB drive, and carrying them to the KRC and pasting them into the correct /R1/subdirectory. A network connection is convenient, but not required.

• Good morning,

My problem is almost solucionate, although it doesn´t often transmit well, little by little I hope i don´t have any more problems.

Probably I will have more.

Now I´m trying to send files from my computer to KRC, using the Office Lite, but I´m new user in this world ( robot Kuka) and my Knwoledge about the program is not fluent, do you know where I can see the manual about OfficeLite program to learn more things about how to use this program?

I asked for a new activation code for KukaSim 3 weeks ago, but I haven´t recieved anything.
    I installed the KukaSim in other computer,but I need OfficeLite and KukaSim together to see the robot´s movements, is it neccessary to be together both programs?
    :frowning_face: everything is bad for me!!! :wallbash:

Thanks

• Okay, now I am confused.

Do you have OfficeLite and a real-world, physical, robot? Or do you have OfficeLite and a robot modelled in KukaSim? Because I've been thinking that your problem was making a network connection between your computer and a physical robot.

• Hi,

I have a OfficeLite program, KukaSim and 4 physical robots to work with them. At the beginning I thought the same with the connection, but I unistalled the program and more or less everything run correct.

Now I have connect two computer with physical roboter, only one, the others works the same.
    I need to learn who to use the program to be able to do trajectories in metalics pieces. ( :wallbash: :wallbash:, help me with a manual, hehe)

But I have one doubt, when you make a little program in Office Lite and make movements , if you want to know how robot is moved by the program, you need to connect in real time KukaSim and Office Lite, don´t you?
    I had a problem with KukaSim, I install in other computer and now I cannot change into other computer because I don´t have other license, how can I solucionate this problem?

Thanks

• Hi Skyefire,

I have a new question, I hope you can help me.
    You know that I could connect my computer with the robot´s computer (KRC), well then I ´m trying to send little programs from my computer to KRC with a shared foldier who is inside Kuka OfficeLite (KRC), but when I send the files .src and .dat, the KRC are not recognize!!!!
    My shared foldier is just inside the program OfficeLite, besides all the programs who I made with the KCP have errors, I don´t know why because I have used this programs perfectly. You know, what´s happen??

I explain to you what I have to do: I have to try to do a programs and send them to Robot without using the KCP, I know It´s difficult but my boss has asked for this, and I have no experience with robots, I have only been working a month and a half.

Thanks

• In short, to simplify the question, could I connect my computer directly to the physical robot from the computer and run it?

I know it´s difficult, but if someone know something about this , You tell me yes or not , and I gonna try to do it.

Thanks a lot.

• I think your best bet for that will be using KUKA's DirLoader tech package. I have no idea about the price. It basically lets you download all files in a directory straight to the Program folder on the robot via signals from a PLC or similar.

You can also read the following topic, as it goes over some of the same issues you are having (or may soon have):
    http://www.robot-forum.com/rob…uka_software-t7582.0.html

• Hi MeanRobot!!!

Thanks for answering.

Then, if I want to connect my computer with the robot directly, I have to use a program, right?
    But I do not want to use that program, could we connect it?
    Would it have to do some instalattion of PLCs somewhere in the KRC?
    Remember that I have to connect my computer to the robot without using the KCP, only control it from my computer!!

:help:

Thanks.

Advertising from our partners