Demo Ideas + End-of-Arm Tooling for SCARA SR-3iA

• Hello,

I'm new to the FANUC/robot world and have appreciated the help from this forum. Folks recently helped me resolve an issue to access iRProgrammer which ended up having the most simple solution.

I have a question: I want to give a simple but realistic demo with a FANUC SCARA SR-3iA robot my company has. We would need to procure end-of-arm tooling and build the code for demonstration. Any help would be much appreciated.

Background: We are a cybersecurity company and working on a demonstration to integrate our product with a typical manufacturing / OT operation. We are using the FANUC SCARA SR-3iA robot, which we have in our office. We are not building out a manufacturing line. We have seen recommended demonstrations around hole drilling and pick and place. We are quick learners but aren't experts in FANUC robots. To date we have successfully built a base and plexiglass shield and have powered on and jogged the robot.

Here are the questions I have for the SCARA SR-3iA robot:

-Any recommended easy to setup demonstrations using this robot?

-Where can I buy end-of-arm tooling?

-Any other general recommendations?

Edited once, last by ekumar ().

• ekumar

Changed the title of the thread from “Demo Ideas + Attachments for SCARA SR-3iA” to “Demo Ideas + End-of-Arm Tooling for SCARA SR-3iA”.
  • I think that the simplest program would be a pick and place using basic square blocks. Just have the robot pick up a block, set it somewhere else, then pick it up again and set it back at the start. Once you are more comfortable with programming you can make the program more complex if you like.

As far as end of arm tooling, after you've determined what kind of demonstration you want to do, you could consult with a local tooling shop to help with the EOAT.

• I think that the simplest program would be a pick and place using basic square blocks. Just have the robot pick up a block, set it somewhere else, then pick it up again and set it back at the start. Once you are more comfortable with programming you can make the program more complex if you like.

As far as end of arm tooling, after you've determined what kind of demonstration you want to do, you could consult with a local tooling shop to help with the EOAT.

Thank you very much for the response. Is there a type of EOAT you would recommend? Mechanical grabber, suction cup, or another? I've reached out to EMI Corp for ideas.

• Fake dispensing path is probably the easiest to setup.

Followed by a simple looping pick and place path.

End of arm tooling is pretty much entirely custom designed to fit the application. Common suppliers for components of the grippers are Schunk, Destaco, McMaster-Carr, Mitsumi.

One major thing I would recommend is to implement safeties first. Enclose the robot with fencing or a lightscreen, and implement safety rated relays or switches to interlock the guarding.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Thank you! We have a plexiglass enclosure for the robot. Will take a look at those gripper suppliers.

Do you know of an example (video?) of a fake dispensing path?

• Here is an example, and it is fake:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Here is an example, and it is fake:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you. That makes sense. In that video is that a vile connected directly to the spindle? What EOAT would be required for that video?

• It looks like they just machined a chunk of aluminum, dropped in a plastic syringe, and bolted or clamped it the J4 ball screw.

Honestly you could get away with a 3d printed version.

• It looks like they just machined a chunk of aluminum, dropped in a plastic syringe, and bolted or clamped it the J4 ball screw.

Honestly you could get away with a 3d printed version.

We decided to do a fake dispensing path as our initial demo and then see if we want to graduate to a drilling demonstration. Do you know of any 3D printable files that we could leverage?

Advertising from our partners