Trying to get a C30 to boot, only getting a black backlit screen...

• It happens so fast I don't think I can catch it. Maybe I can try to take a video and go frame by frame, it's really fast.

The other MFP doesn't seem to do anything, but I didnt try to download the TP software to it yet because if I did something wrong with the first one I didnt want to mess up both.

I had just assumed that having the computer attached (with KCWin) wouldn't hurt anything but might show me if something was going on. If it messes up the process being attached, that's my mistake!

I'll try to get a video of it and see if i can pick out the screen thing going one frame at a time.

• Place your Ad here!
  • The other MFP doesn't seem to do anything, but I didnt try to download the TP software to it yet because if I did something wrong with the first one I didnt want to mess up both.

This is exactly why I said do what I asked without the PCMCIA, nothing can get changed then.

All you are doing is 'asking the MFP to start it's bootloader for installing firmware' and if there is no PCMCIA card inserted, then nothing can be changed.

Ok, try something else:

- Set SW2 no 1 to OFF and no 2 to ON.

- Just power up the controller for at least 1 min.

With that setting you should hear a continuous beep.

Then turn the controller off, set SW2 both switches to OFF and power back on again and report back any results?

• It sure does beep when powering it on with that #2 flipped!

I made sure to wait for a few minutes before shutting it down, then turned them both off and powered it back up.

It didn't do anything differently.

I did get a picture of the screen flicker thing, though I thought it had green bars but it only looks like it is the lcd flipping from clear to black.

It is linked here:view?usp=share_link

• The other MFP doesnt flash, it just stays goes from off straight to black.

This one doesn't stay that way it just flashes when it first lights up, I had to take a video and then page through the frames to catch that.

When this whole thing started I bought the only other MFP available that had a matching number as I thought it was the problem since it wouldn't show anything. Do we think that both MFP's are broken? Is there a way to run the robot just through a computer? Or is it compatible with a different MFP?

Just in case it might give more insight, here are a picture of the card rack, and of the door, if I am missing a cable or if that red light on the power card mean anything... stuff like that.

view?usp=share_link

view?usp=share_link

• The thing is there are no video signals from the CPU as the MFP is it's own standalone.

See the below image of the connection pinout:

The flickering is not conducive to the CPU though, this will purely be with the MFP.

Going off all the information you've provided you may have:

- Bad CPU or CPU which has been attempted to install firmware to, and failed and bricked it.

- 2 bad MFP's

Probably worth measuring the LT from the AVR (pins are available on the CPU board) to rule out a supply issue.

Without a known good device, it is difficult to troubleshoot.

Any chance you can go back to the original seller and see if they have anything you can loan to test?

• I bought it on an auction, so I am probably out of luck there. I am not terrified of picking up a spare CPU card if I could find one that we knew was good. As the machine is getting older by the day, if it is truly a spare and we don't need it, it isn't terrible to have two anyway... Sadly it almost seems that it might be two MFP's, though would a bad MFP freeze the CPU? Or is the CPU probably freezing because it has bad firmware and we cant flash it without a good MFP...

I don't understand the LT and AVR comment, there are test pins on the side of the CPU board? Are we looking for continuity, or a voltage, or a waveform?

The red light on the power board in the picture above, that would be caused by a bad cpu board or a bad mfp? (it can't be the power card if it has all four voltage led's lit?)

• The red light on the power board in the picture above, that would be caused by a bad cpu board or a bad mfp? (it can't be the power card if it has all four voltage led's lit?)

From memory the 1HP has 2 dedicated error leds.

a. 1GB in error (servo error).

b. 1HP in error (servo control error).

So I am not surprised to see this, as it does point to the CPU not starting up.

I don't understand the LT and AVR comment,

Sorry, that's my old school coming back:

- LT = Low Tension or Low Voltage.

- AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator) is the power supply for all the logic (big block right side of the card rack).

The pins on the 1GA/1HA board are test pins to check these voltages.

+5V

+12V

-12V

The 1HP has 2 test pins for +24 check.

So it's worth checking those are within range.

The 1GA/1HA and the MFP are only connected via the TXD-, TXD+, RXD-, RXD+ communication lines.

So it's possible the handshaking is causing either devices to freeze.

Can you try the following using both MFP's:

- Have KCWin running and connected.

- Power off the controller.

- Set SW2 on the 1GA/1HA board to 1 and 8 ON only.

- Set SW2 switches on the MFP to both OFF.

- Power the controller up.

- Report back what appears on KCWin and if any change on MFP

- Set SW2 on the 1GA/1HA board to 1,3,6 ON only.

- Set SW2 switch 1 to ON and 2 to OFF on the MFP (do not touch any of the screen).

- Report back what appears on KCWin and if any change on MFP.

- Set SW2 on the 1GA/1HA board to 1,3,5,8 ON only.

- Set SW2 switches on the MFP to both OFF.

- Report back what appears on KCWin and if any change on MFP.

• Apologies for this.

I remember now that the MFP connects directly to the 1HP board and not the 1GA/1HA on the Cxx controllers.

It could well be the 1HP card that is creating this problem, it may be worth having a punt on this board if you can locate one.

• Sorry, was out of the shop for most of this week.

So.

I changed two things, sorry, I had a spare 1GB board that is brand new in the bag that I swapped in. I just flipped the switch to see if it just magically worked now. It didn't.

BUT!!!!!!!

I then set 1,8 on SW 2 and now KCWin is asking me if I want to initialize, enter 1 for yes, 0 for no.

I have just left it on this screen as I don't want to do the wrong thing and brick something. I'll wait until I am going home and then decide wether to let it idle overnight or shut it off in await for your response.

But, the cursor is blinking in KCWin and I think it is awake... Kinda!

What do I do next?

• That's some good news.

OK, at that point select NO and the controller SHOULD continue to boot and your cursor should still remain blinking, wait for the information to scroll through as before and then press enter a couple of times to confirm the comms.

Then get a file save, so just type in:

SAVE file0 and press enter.

It should take a file save and store the 'file0.as' in the directory of your KCWin32 application.

See if you can get to this stage?

• Ok, so I had to press enter probably a hundred times or so to get past all of the [number if Accel/decel data check sum error => set initial value.] Confirm!

And things of that nature...

Tons of things. Anyway, it finally stopped at the end, and still had a blinking cursor, I tried to type SAVE in, and the cursor froze. I tried to hit enter and nothing...

I waited a bit, still nothing so then I restarted, and got the wait 5 seconds message, initialize, I selected 0 for no, which it allowed me to type and hit enter, it then responded AC primary power OFF. And locked up again.

Thoughts?

The bottom of the two red lights on the 1HP is still lit, I think they are super cheap online, is now the right time to snag one of those?

• If you selected no to the initialization, you should not have even been asked any further questions as it would try and boot normally.

You have probably lost the original settings now.

What cable are you using, are you sure it's a null modem?

• You had said

press enter a couple of times to confirm the comms.

The first message was a comm error, press enter, then it was a robot error, then a checksum error, then, etc...

Yep, at least I ordered a "DB9 RS232 Serial Cable Female to Female Null Modem Cord Cross TX RX line for Data Communication" and that's what the package said?

It sure seems to be working when it is working as when it asked me to enter 1 or 0 to agree or not, that absolutely worked. The system seems to become unresponsive when it tries to boot or whatever it wants to do after it says AC primary power OFF.

If the next thing it tries to do is something involving the 1HP board, then I am tempted to get one of those as it has the only red light in the control cabinet. If the next thing it tries to do is run the CPU board then maybe that board is sick...

I already very much assume that whatever settings were on the machine are gone, as it sat for god knows how long with dead batteries, then I dinked around with it for several months under sporadic guidance from Kawasaki tech support until I finally got frustrated enough to find this forum.

I have pretty excellent documentation that came with the machine, what seems to be all of the setup paperwork, what Kawasaki claims to be all the software I need to set it back up... My primary intention is to figure out what in the machine is preventing it from booting, and a bonus would be not purchasing every component part in the process, though I have been coming to terms with the idea that if I do end up buying the entire machine a second time one piece at a time, then I have a whole machine of spares...

:upside_down_face:

Anyway, I am very much guessing it is a board being mad that is keeping the machine from moving through its boot sequence far enough to tell the MFP to wake up. Does this make any sense to you or is all of this post illogical?

Thanks so much for your attrition. I am assuming the reason this was auctioned off by the trade school is that it is not a super simple problem...

-Parker

• Can you just do the above and ONLY the above without pressing anything.

• OK!

Here is everything I got. I typed it all out identical to what I received. Both MFP's got the exact same results.

With Screen Protector MFP

(1)

Starting kernel initialization…

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

SStarting kernel initialization…

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

Start Timer

Change Interrupt

kernel: loop forever

AC Fail Process Error = 4474a334

KAWASAKI ROBOT SYSTEM [AS] START UP

KAWASAKI HEAVY INDUSTRIES,LTD.

Version 080J0IGE

01/02/06 16:18

Please Wait 5 seconds

Initialize ? (Yes:1, N0:0)

(2)

Starting kernel initization…

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

S*** Ram memory AS Boot UP ***

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

S!!!! Boot DownLoder Start !!!!

tart Timer

Change Interrupt

kernel: loop forever

(-508)Communication error(remorte terminal).

(3)

Starting kernel initaization…

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

S*** Ram memory AS Boot Up ***

Kernel960 init done.

Start SIO…

S!!!! Boot DowlLoder Start !!!!

tart Timer

Change Interrupt

Kernel

T/P Baudrate = 625000

: loop forever

{[( Original MFP)]}

(1), (2), (3)

Perfectly identical.

On every test both mfp's stayed black, this is what came through KCWin

Thanks!

• OK so try No.1 again with SW2 on 1GA/1HA board 1 and 8 ON and at the initialization question and blinking cursor see if you can:

a. Enter 1: for 'yes'.

b. Enter 9894 for 'are you sure'.

c. Feedback the results you see from KCWin32 application and also if any change on either MFP's.

• Ok,

Here is what I got:

***** SRAM DATA ALL CLEAR *****

[Terminal Data Sum Check Error => Set Initial Value ]

Initializing

[System data check sum error => Set Initial Value.]

Set Memory Capacity. (0:1M bytes , 1:4M bytes)

I am waiting on instruction...