Controlling robot speed during PTP motion

• Hi,

I am working on creating kuka program offline and looking at the Kuka documentation, it seems that the only way to specify motion speed during PTP instruction is to use a % speed for each axis.

I am not a big fan of this since it could create mismatch between my offline simulation and the actual program if the max axis speed is not correctly set in my offline environment.

Is there a way to specify PTP motion speed by using a time in ms for example? If not, is it possible to modify the max axis velocity to use for each axis (It would be lower than the max velocity for sure, the robot cannot go too fast or it could damage the tool used).

• SkyeFire

Approved the thread.
  • I am not a big fan of this since it could create mismatch between my offline simulation and the actual program if the max axis speed is not correctly set in my offline environment.

why would your offline configuration be different?

Is there a way to specify PTP motion speed by using a time in ms for example?

that is unit of time, not speed. no, you cannot do that for PTP but spline PTP is another story. lookup TIIME_BLOCK

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks, I will look up TIME_BLOCK. I just find it weird that the only way to specify robot speed during PTP is a %.

To me, % is an "incomplete" representation of a robot speed. It is a parameters that can be easily tweak when testing on the robot, but not really useful for offline programming.

Most robot manufacturer allow to specify motion duration/speed with deg/s or a duration (s,ms), I thought I missed something when glancing through the kuka docs.

• Thanks, I will look up TIME_BLOCK. I just find it weird that the only way to specify robot speed during PTP is a %.

To me, % is an "incomplete" representation of a robot speed. It is a parameters that can be easily tweak when testing on the robot, but not really useful for offline programming.

Most robot manufacturer allow to specify motion duration/speed with deg/s or a duration (s,ms), I thought I missed something when glancing through the kuka docs.

It is not duration, it is distance over time eg. 15 inch/min or 1.2 meter/second

• To me, % is an "incomplete" representation of a robot speed. It is a parameters that can be easily tweak when testing on the robot, but not really useful for offline programming.

Since 90%+ of all robot programming is done on the robot, not offline....

Not to mention, this all originates from decades before offline programing was even remotely a thing.

Advertising from our partners