KUKA KRC2 3,5' SATA HDD -> PATA SSD

• Hello guys,

Recently I have tried to copy the content of original Kuka HDD disk to new PATA disk.

Controller is KR C2 edition 05, and soft version i V5.4.7 build 66.

I managed to make an image backup of HDD drive using Macrium Reflect software.

I soldered appropiate pins on PATA disk to set disk as Master (there were too little space between disk and adapter to attach a jumper), and attached the PATA -> SATA converter.

Then, I formatted PATA disk, and restored disk image onto PATA drive also with help of Macrium Reflect software.

After I plug in PATA disk and turn on the controller, disk is recognized in BIOS - disk name "SQF-P25M4-16G-P9C" is visible on hardware list.

So far, so good.

After that, "Windows Resume Loader" window appears, and when I choose "Continue with system resume", the next screen "Resuming Windows..." appears.

When the loading bar is full, the screen becomes all-black, and Windows is not starting up.

At this time, the red diode on adapter stops blinking, which I assume means that drive in no longer processing data.

In other threads I saw some users suggested using other software for disk cloning (for example Acronis, or Norton11) - I haven't tried them yet, because last time I couldn't stop the controller and cause more downtime.

Maybe you guys had similar issue in the past and could provide me with some ideas for me to try? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Janusz.

• Did you create image from original KUKA HDD disk or you just copied from one to another? And for pins soldering are u sure you need from pata to sata converting?

Edited once, last by RoboCopo ().

• RoboCopo

I created image from HDD disk using Macrium software, I think copying files wouldn't be sufficient.

About soldering - I couldn't find pin assigment and description because documentation for this particular disk is no longer available.

But, when no pins were jumpered BIOS did discover the disk, the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) appeared every time before Windows loading.

Only when pins were jumpered just like below (Master and Slave connection), BSOD did not appeared.

My other concern is, when I connect either HDD or SSD drive to my laptop and try to start Windows from external drive, the Windows is loading just like I described in my previous post (resume bar is filled, and then screen turns black). I don't know, if it's an issue with starting the Windows XP Embedded on laptop with originally installed Windows 10, or is it an issue with disk.

Anyway, I asked disk manufacturer to provide me with pinout documentation for SSD drive to check, if connection is OK.

• Did you format your SSD before putting image on from HDD?

I saw on forum that someone formated the SSD disk and then put image from HDD to SSD and then it worked.

• first of all lets stop mentioning SATA. there is no SATA anywhere in the posted images, everything is PATA only. it is just that original PATA HDD was 3.5" and replacement is newer SSD with 2.5" formfactor (still PATA interface). the adapter is just mechanical adapter - plain PCB with no electronics which is necessary to do conversion PATA<>SATA.

PATA = Parallel ATA (40 pin on 3.5" units, 44 pins on 2.5" units - yes more pins but denser)

SATA = Serial ATA (only few pins actually used)

next - booting home computer from HDD/SSD that has KRC image on it. this does not work... this is not some "live CD" equivalent. the software on HDD/SSD is already installed and customized to KRC hardware. that means that it does not match your home computer or laptop (different hardware = different drivers required). if you try to boot from it - it WILL crash... this is NORMAL for that OS. if you want this disc to be a boot disc, you need to run this in the correct environment (in this case on the KRC, not on your laptop) ... OR... you need to do a fresh install so that drivers matching your laptop are loaded. but of course, if you do this, HDD/SSD will no longer be able to properly boot in KRC.

If you did installation from scratch, you would know that during installation process you are asked to provide CD with drivers for YOUR hardware. Normally each computer (or motherboard) would have own CD with collection of custom drivers. KUKA image does not include them. This is why this does not work on your computer. This is why it thinks that content of the disk is corrupted and wants to do "repair" (to have chance to find and load drivers that would work)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners