ASYNC AXIS for KR C2

• I'm tying to stop an axis from moving when the robot is not working in the area of where that axis is (the robot moves with a lineal track, the external axis is a toner).

What I'm trying to do is that when the robot leaves the area, the PLC will know and it will send a signal back to the robot telling him that he's not working in the area, so he will use that signal to, in the sps.sub, constantly check that he's keeping the E2 ASYNC so it will not move by accident when working on other area (Areas are controlled by the PLC with sensors, no need to do any area check)

How can I toggle an axis from sync to async in the sps.sub?

• Place your Ad here!
  • Fubini

Approved the thread.
  • How can I toggle an axis from sync to async in the sps.sub?

I'm not sure that's possible. But to have any chance of making an accurate answer, first we would need to know how this external axis is configured, as there are several different configuration types that control which Interpreter can have control over that axis.

• no kss version or options are mentioned but if you really want to stop the robot from going somewhere atleast decently new versions allow you to set up monitoring spaces. Plc tells robot if a monitoringspace is activated, and you can make the robot stop if it violates that space, even if you alter the program it will stop. And even if you manually jog it over the boundary it will stop atleast until you acknowledge that the space has been violated.

A simpler approach would be to use handshakes and interlocks where one participant act as the master, usually the plc. The signals in between the devices in question would allow or dissallow robot from entering a certain space. This can be bypassed with programming, user jogging or similar.

In krl you have full controll of the axis softlimits so you can also use those to your benefit if you like. With this you could temporatily move the axis softlimits yo something that would more or less lock e2 in place. However trying to go over that would make the robot fault out, so you still need to handle when and how to allow the robot to go somewhere and when.

• I'm not sure that's possible. But to have any chance of making an accurate answer, first we would need to know how this external axis is configured, as there are several different configuration types that control which Interpreter can have control over that axis.

The external axis is E2

• no kss version or options are mentioned but if you really want to stop the robot from going somewhere atleast decently new versions allow you to set up monitoring spaces. Plc tells robot if a monitoringspace is activated, and you can make the robot stop if it violates that space, even if you alter the program it will stop. And even if you manually jog it over the boundary it will stop atleast until you acknowledge that the space has been violated.

A simpler approach would be to use handshakes and interlocks where one participant act as the master, usually the plc. The signals in between the devices in question would allow or dissallow robot from entering a certain space. This can be bypassed with programming, user jogging or similar.

In krl you have full controll of the axis softlimits so you can also use those to your benefit if you like. With this you could temporatily move the axis softlimits yo something that would more or less lock e2 in place. However trying to go over that would make the robot fault out, so you still need to handle when and how to allow the robot to go somewhere and when.

I'm not sure if I can use a Space Check since it's an external axis that doesn't move the robot itself, it's a rotatory table so there's no movement to do, but changing the soft limit of the axis is a good idea indeed, since all I want to do is make it not move while the robot isn't there. the KSS version is 5.6.8.

• The external axis is E2

Your configuration does not show any kinematic using E2. Are you sure you meant external axis E2 and not external kinematic ET2? If the latter it can not work anyway because ET2 is a Robrootkinematic (robot mounted on the external kinematic)

Code
    $EX_KIN.ET2 = #ERSYS

External axes also used in Robrootkinematics (or Basekinematics) can not be set async. For an axis to be able to go async it requires to be stand alone so more or less a single individual motor not connected to anything and integrated into anything else kinematically. Is it like this in your setup?

Fubini

• Your configuration does not show any kinematic using E2. Are you sure you meant external axis E2 and not external kinematic ET2? If the latter it can not work anyway because ET2 is a Robrootkinematic (robot mounted on the external kinematic)

Code
    $EX_KIN.ET2 = #ERSYS

External axes also used in Robrootkinematics (or Basekinematics) can not be set async. For an axis to be able to go async it requires to be stand alone so more or less a single individual motor not connected to anything and integrated into anything else kinematically. Is it like this in your setup?

Fubini

E2 is an independent axis, the robot is mounted on a track (E1), but don't worry, I figured out how to make it async, just changed $ASYNC_AXIS before every program that needs it and made a check with the sps and the PLC so the external axis E2 doesn't move, and if it does, the PLC will stop the robot. It's working fine.
    Thanks for your help :smiling_face: