KSS doesn’t load correctly

• Hello guys,

when i downloaded update for KSS I minimized HMI and stopped the KRC module. When i turned off key switch and turned it back on it just loaded Windows Embedded CE 6.0. I would ask you for help because i tried multiple things and nothing changed. For drive it only shows NAND Flash drive.

So if anyone encountered with this problem, please help!!

Kind regards

• kwakisaki

Approved the thread.
  • I wanted to upgrade KSS release from 8.2.6 to 8.5. Firstly i stopped the KRC on the minimized HMI (Windows), then i tried to setup the KSS 8.5 Relase. Then it showed it cant be set up and then i turned the switch off. When i turned it back on it just showed a startup KUKA picture and then directly went to Windows Embedded. So im really confused what have i done wrong.

Kind regards.

• you are welcome

proper way is to contact KUKA, share your system info (serial numbers, software versions, KRCDiag) and ask for quote.

this is not just KSS, it is operating system (migrating from XP to Win7) and options. creating of new project, transferring programs and settings, hardware (firmware) update...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I wanted to upgrade KSS release from 8.2.6 to 8.5. Firstly i stopped the KRC on the minimized HMI (Windows), then i tried to setup the KSS 8.5 Relase. Then it showed it cant be set up and then i turned the switch off.

Where did you get this KSS release? Many KRC4s that shipped with KSS 8.2 may not be able to run 8.5. Also, what you describe is not the process for updating KSS. You must use a KSS Image from KUKA, deployed using a KSR USB stick. The KSR stick must be configured correctly, then the KRC rebooted with the KSR plugged into one of the KRC's USB ports. The KSR stick will wipe the KRC's hard drive and perform a factory reset, using the new Image.

Obtaining correct KSS image from KUKA, using your KRC4's serial number, is critical, since attempting to install a KSS Image that is not correct for the hardware will likely destroy the KRC at the software level. The only way to recover from this would be to factory-reset the KRC, using KSR with either a KUKA factory Image, or a good Backup Image made with the KSR while the robot was still in good operating condition.

• it is... and it should include firmware upgrade for all hardware, something only KUKA does.

as far as KSS, Windows and KRC4 motherboards compatibility, SJX shared nice overview:

KSS 8.6 - Roboterforum.de - die Industrieroboter und Cobot Community
    Guten morgen, Ich habe hier 20 KRC4 Steuerungen. Unsere Geschäftsführung sieht es vor alle Roboter auf den gleichen Softwarestand zu bringen. Einen Preis habe…
    www.roboterforum.de

of course cost of software licenses is rather high and if you are lucky, you may get discount. otherwise, changing to a different major software version is a piracy.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Changing from KSS 8.2 to KSS 8.5 is not an update. It is an upgrade and must be paid for.

Normally KUKA check the exsting hardware and give you a price for the upgrade (software and needed hardware)

• Like i said im new to this, it was said to me to upgrade KSS Version so i tried my best but nobody told me all consequences that this may have. So I really thank you all for help.

Kind regards.

• Going from KSS 8.2 to KSS 8.5 the OS (WinXPe vs. Win7) and the KSS and additionally maybe hardware has to be upgraded!

You should talk to the person who said that to you: check with kuka!

Was there a specific reason for the upgrade or just wanted to have the latest version (which is actually not the latest version)?

At the moment I am not really sure who of you violated the forums policy and should be banned

You becausea asking

or the second man ordering

• Like i said im new to this, it was said to me to upgrade KSS Version so i tried my best but nobody told me all consequences that this may have. So I really thank you all for help.

Kind regards.

I can only conclude that whoever told you that is either incompetent, or was selling illegal copies of KSS.

• Like i said im really fresh with kuka i didnt know this kinda stuff. So yes ill tell him that this is not possible and show him the text’s that you all send so i have a proof. From now on ill only ask you guys.

Kind regards.

• From now on ill only ask you guys.

Not a bad idea, but i would advise to ask kuka first. especially about stuff like this. asking costs nothing and in my experience they are always willing to give information if you ask.

This forum has a lot of information and experienced people on it, but it is no replacement for kuka service.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• This forum has a lot of information and experienced people on it, but it is no replacement for kuka service.

It was never the intention of this forum to replace kuka service!

If you have a problem there are different ways to solve the problem:

1- check this forum for already known problems and solved issues (if they marked solved and how)

2- try to figure it out yourself - most of the time this will not work

3- check with kuka (they will do the rest)

This also works for all other robot manufacturers

And this forum will not help to violate any copyright or license rules

Advertising from our partners