Fanuc Teach Pendants on a R-20ibe ArcMate Controller.

• Hi there. I have a customer that has an old R-20iBe Arc Mate. He has 3 teach pendants, 2 have broken switches that I have ordered new ones for. The Pendant that currently works has 4 micro switches on the Deadman handles, while the other 2 have only 2 micro switches A05B-2301-C301 and A05B-2301-C330. I keep getting the SRVO-231 Channel 2 (0v) abnormal faults on both Pendants. The C330 Pendant is almost brand new and was purchased online recently. My question is; Is there different jumper settings to make these 2 pendants work? Apparently the C301 was the original Pendant that came with this controller. The Controller has an A20B-1008-0580/01A EStop board in it. Does anyone have the jumper settings for this board, from Dual Channel to Single Channel safety circuit?

Thanks in advance.

• MOM

Approved the thread.
  • I don't know about the wiring... but have you reset that alarm through the alarm screen the first time it happens?

There is a button called "RES 1CH" on the alarm screen. Click on it, confirm and press shift+reset yo see if error dissapears.

Sometimes when the deadman is pressed incorrectly controller gives that error, the alarm also fires if wiring is damaged, but will not dissapear if you do not reset the error manually.

It also fires if some security channel like the "fence" or "emgstop" is not changing the dual-channel signal at the same time, or if a fuse from the safety board if blown.

If you are using 2 different pendants and one of them for sure is ok because its brand new, check the fuses from the safety board, it's likelly a problem on the controller side.

• Not familiar with that e-stop part #. What controller is it? If you're not sure then what software is it running?

AM120iBe were R-J3iB or R-J3iC/R-30iA. Both these controllers are dual run-chain and need the dual chain pendants, A05B-2301-C37x or A05B-2301-C19x for example. Dual chain pendants have (2) switches on each deadman handle giving (4) total.

• Thank you. I will check the fuses in the Controller. It seems strange that the Pendant with 4 micro switches works, but the newer Pendant with 2 micro switches does not. Thanks.

Mike.

• Searching the board you have said I do not see any fuse, maybe they are inside the black box near the orange connector where the safety signals are wired. There must be fuses on some place, at least on all controllers I have seen, even on RJ3 controllers there are fuses placed on the safety board but in different locations on the board.

If with one pendant it works the fuses will not be the issue, Skooter may be right, but it seems to me strange to exist pendants with single and dual channel deadman... even with 2 or 4 switches I would expect to work the same way, using 2 signals in order to detect faults, but with more switches in parallel so the deadman is easier to handle.

Deadmans usually work by providing 2 signals, usually inverted and the two must be engaged at the same time with very little time difference. If some switch is in bad state and signals are not syncronized an alarm is raised. I haven't seen the inside of a fanuc pendant yet, only abb ones while repairing them.

• The single micro switches seem like a normal micro switch, however the Pendant with 4 micro switches look like an OEM part and has a mechanical rocker system to make 2 work at once. I have ohmed the switches in the other Pendants and they all look good.

Mike.

• Could you post the photo of your controller (operator's panel)?

As far as I know, there was no such contreller type as you mention.

To AM 120iBe there was R-J3iB Mate economical, which has a singla channel estop. So in this case dual channel TP won't work properly.

• Hi there. I have a customer that has an old R-20iBe Arc Mate. He has 3 teach pendants, 2 have broken switches that I have ordered new ones for. The Pendant that currently works has 4 micro switches on the Deadman handles, while the other 2 have only 2 micro switches A05B-2301-C301 and A05B-2301-C330. I keep getting the SRVO-231 Channel 2 (0v) abnormal faults on both Pendants. The C330 Pendant is almost brand new and was purchased online recently. My question is; Is there different jumper settings to make these 2 pendants work? Apparently the C301 was the original Pendant that came with this controller. The Controller has an A20B-1008-0580/01A EStop board in it. Does anyone have the jumper settings for this board, from Dual Channel to Single Channel safety circuit?

Thanks in advance.

The A05B-2301-C301 is very old, works on R-J thru single channel R-J3

The A05B-2301-C330 was made for the R-J2 which is also single channel

The other issue is the TP cable is different between 1-ch & 2-ch systems.

• Could you post the photo of your controller (operator's panel)?

As far as I know, there was no such controller type as you mention.

To AM 120iBe there was R-J3iB Mate economical, which has a single channel estop. So in this case dual channel TP won't work properly.

Don't recall seeing a single channel R-J3iB although I think the V6.xx software had the CE/RIA option always enabled for units I've worked with.

Not sure a Mate controller would work with the bigger AM120Be, maybe the AM100Be.

Interesting to see where this goes once we get accurate info.

• Don't recall seeing a single channel R-J3iB although I think the V6.xx software had the CE/RIA option always enabled for units I've worked with.

Not sure a Mate controller would work with the bigger AM120Be, maybe the AM100Be.

Interesting to see where this goes once we get accurate info.

I'm not talking abour R-J3iB which have dual channel estop. I was taking about R-J3iB Mate economic version, which was a standardo to AM100iBe and AM120iBe - this I'm sure, dealing many times with those robots. Just look into manual.

"Mate e" has a single channel e-stop. When haveing a bit of time, I could post you a page from the manual.

• I can confirm there are RJ3-ib robots with a single channel e-stop.

But anyway, when you have a robot with dual channel, you will have to use a dual channel pendant. ( and the right cable )

The single channel pendants will not work.

• Apologies for not doing my homework - thanks much for the info. Had the RIA info but had to really dig for the CE info. Didn't know there was a Mate controller specific for the AM100B/120iB. All the AM100iBe I've worked with were B-cabinet RIA - R-J3iB & R-J3iC (before the R-30iA name change). I'm also used to the AM120iB using the -H002 amp. Assume the difference in motors for the AM120iBe allows it to use the smaller -H003 amp.

• Thank you for all your responses. I figured out that the controller has a blown 5A fuse which is stopping the 2 micro switch pendants, but lets the 4 micro switch run on a single channel apparently, as weird as that sounds. I will keep you all informed when I get both channels running.

Advertising from our partners