Safe Distance Calculations ?

• Normally, we write a "Pre Start Health and Safety Report" for each machine. The most important part of which is the well known "safe distance calculations".

I don't understand how to write one for a Cobot, since it does not stop when someone is near.

Does anyone have any experience with Safety documentation for Cobots (running in Cobot mode only) ? If not Safe distance then, is there any other kind of documentation I could present ?

Just wanted to have a quick discussion and get some direction here.

Thank you.

• Lemster68

Approved the thread.
  • As far as I know, a Cobot does not need a stopping distance, as long as it is properly configured.

"Properly Configured" mostly applies to the "Power and Force Limitation" -- as long as the Cobot is sufficiently limited in this regard, it can be counted on to stop on contact before doing harm. Note: Some Cobots can have their "Collaborative" Mode turned on/off from inside their program, and when Collab Mode is inactive, the robot needs to be treated like a "big iron" robot.

Also, whatever the robot is carrying must be part of the risk assessment, using the guidelines in RIA 15.06. In previous experience, putting a screwdriver on a Cobot made the robot no longer "Collaborative", b/c the P&F Limit could not be set low enough to get below the force/area ratio allowed under the RIA spec.

So, if any human contact is covered by PFL, after performing the risk assessment, then stopping distance should be irrelevant.

Advertising from our partners