KRC2 - Multiple Errors - Servo Parameters, Power Module, Drive Bus, DSE

• I have a KRC 140 with a KRC2 controller. Software version V5.2.14

Possibly unrelated, but for the past week, this machine has had intermittent loss of connectivity to the (ethernet) network we use where the ethernet port lights do not come on usually. Once or twice in the past week or so, it connected to the ethernet and the ethernet port lights on the robot computer came on and we established communication.

When I power down the cabinet, the computer turns off immediately, as opposed to doing a shutdown. This is whether I have forced a cold boot or not. The 12V lead-acid batteries tested good, but I replaced them anyway and the problem continues.

On boot-up, I just had the following errors:

28 Drive bus DSE 1 participant no. 1 does not exist.

223 Power module axis A1 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A2 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A3 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A4 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A5 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A6 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis A6 not or wrongly plugged.

223 Power module axis E1 not or wrongly plugged.

1115 Servo parameters not transferred

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 10 incorrect

250 Incorrect servo parameter A1.

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A1 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 10 incorrect

250 Incorrect servo parameter A2.

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A2 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 10 incorrect

250 Incorrect servo parameter A3.

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A3 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 9 incorrect

250 Incorrect servo parameter A4.

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 10 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 17 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 18 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 19 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A4 line 20 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 9 incorrect

250 Incorrect servo parameter A4.

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 10 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 17 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 18 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 19 incorrect

206 Servo-Parameters axis A5 line 20 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 9 incorrect

3 Message buffer overflow

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 10 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 16 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 17 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 18 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 19 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis A6 line 20 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 10 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 11 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 12 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 13 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 14 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 15 incorrect

206 Servo Parameters axis E1 line 16 incorrect

2870 DSE - Boot finished

40 HMI PowerOn finished

• Update:

I have replaced the KPS-600 and the problems persist, including the computer/teach pendant turning off immediately upon turning off power.

A little more background: The issue(s) above came up when it was powered on. The machine was working mostly as expected and was powered down for the night. The next morning, when the operator went to turn it on, the above-listed errors came up.

• likely HDD is corrupt due to non-graceful power down. need to sort the battery backup issue so this does not happen. next i would restore known good hdd image.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks for that, panic mode. I will replace the HDD as soon as I have the power issue worked out.

Regarding the power issue:

When I test the poles (These should be the lines from the battery bank) on the X7 plug feeding into the KPS600, I have 26V. Oddly, when I pull the fuse from the battery bank (fuse FG3 10A), I still have around 8V on these two poles. I am not sure that this is something that I need to worry about at this time, but am including all information.

In parallel with the power line (X961 cable) from the KPS600 to the PC, I see that there is cable 21.1 (RDW) and 26.7 (24Vbuff), each of which is fused (2A for RDW and 2A for 24Vbuff).

I can find fuses FG3, F15 and F16, but I cannot find F17 (24Vbuff) and F18, (feeds AR+ (??)) which may or may not have anything to do with this, but is connected through the same plug.

Any information on F17 or F18 location? After replacing the KPS600 and still having the computer shut off instantly, I am looking for something that would drain the 24V feeding the computer. Though I may be thinking about this wrong.

Alternatively, does the KPS600 get a signal from the computer to disconnect the 24V via some means after shutdown is complete? If so, where should I look to see if that is being maintained before power is cut off?

EDIT 3/16/2023 10:53 CT: moved image to bottom of text because it was somehow placed in the middle of a paragraph.

• Also:

The KPS600 that I currently have in the system has the internal diagnostic LEDs with the following:

1. (Red) off

2. (Green) light blinking around 1.5Hz

3. (Red) blinking extremely fast - fast enough that it just looks like it is on, but dim.

4. (Red) blinking extremely fast - fast enough that it just looks like it is on, but dim.

5. (Green) off

6. (Green) off

1&2 are the internal diagnostic LEDs

3&4 are the ESC diagnosis security LEDs

5&6 are the robot brake diagnosis LEDs

Per the diagnosis page, there is no entry that explains this behavior. The closest that I see is: (Red blinks 1.5 Hz) and (green off / 1.5Hz) meaning intermediate circuit below 60V

On all of the motor drive controllers, I have the green LED blinking slowly and red blinking quickly. There is no entry in the drive control diagnosis table that explains this behavior.

• After some more diagnosing, I have determined some other behavior that may or may not be odd:

I performed four separate tests:

1. I measured voltage at the X961 (power cable into the computer) without it being plugged into the computer. With the main power switch on, this measured 26.9V. For both of the following tests, power was not connected to the computer.
      1. I turned off power after powering it on within 5 – 10 seconds. When I turned off power, the voltage was around 26V and the red flashing lights on the servo drives remained on for 30+ seconds. (I did not measure the time, but it seemed like it was a little while.)
      2. I turned off power after it was on for a few minutes. The voltage dropped to 0V within a second or two and the servo drive lights went out immediately.
    2. I stabbed the back of the X961 plug with my volt meter and with it plugged into the computer. I turned on the power switch and the voltage was around 26.8V. I let the computer boot up fully. When I turned off power, the voltage dropped to 0 within less than a second. The servo motor drive lights also went out immediately.
    3. I pulled fuse FG3 (fuse at the batteries so that no battery power will be connected) and powered it on. I stabbed the back of the X961 plug with my volt meter and with it plugged into the computer. Voltage read 26.9V.

It seems that the KPS600 decides whether or not to supply battery power to the computer (plus RDW and/or anything else as well??) with this decision being some setting that is or is not made by the computer. Is anyone familiar with what decides whether the KPS600 maintains the connection between the battery and the computer after power shutdown and for how long?

• not sure about details and info is sketchy but yes, battery management is done in KP600. batteries will not be charged if they are too low. it is also possible that one of them is bad. then it acts as if high resistance is in series with it. so during charging voltage looks great but when switched off, batteries are unable to power KPC, RDC etc for the time needed to shut down gracefully. i would suggest to check batteries individually and under load. a 3.3 Ohm 50W resistor or 12V light bulb is an example of suitable load. then measure voltage - while something is drawing couple of amps from the battery. if the voltage is above 11V under load, battery is ok.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks. I'll check the batteries again and test them under a load.

The first thing that I had done when this whole thing got started a few days ago was to replace the lead acid batteries with new. Both of the old tested good at 13.1V, as do the new ones. I'll check them under a load. Would be a heckuva thing for old and new batteries both to be bad. I also wouldn't be surprised at this point.

• Existing batteries checked out ok under a load. Pulled two batteries out of a robot that is working and put them in the problem machine. Same problems. Powers off immediately and the voltage at the computer power cord dropped to 0V within a second or two.

Note that this is with a second KPS600. It was on a shelf in our tool room and looked to be new. I am leaning towards taking the KPS600 out of a known good robot and seeing if that fixes the problem. Would hate to screw up another KPS600 and have two robots down, though.

Any likelihood that the power issue is caused by something other than a faulty KPS600? Is there a component that tells the KPS600 to turn off after some delay? CI board or computer maybe? Or is the KPS600 aware that it is supposed to stay on for a while before turning off?

• I am beginning to lean away from this being a power supply/distribution issue. Does anyone know a whole lot about the following error?

28 Drive bus DSE 1 participant no. 1 does not exist.

1. When I disconnect the interbus (ethernet) cable from the computer that goes over to the KPS600 and reboot, I get all of the same errors.

2. The current KPS600 came out of a robot that was running a couple of hours ago.

3. I restored the archive from a year ago earlier this morning.

• Thank you for that information. I have not used the DSE-RDW tool before, so I'm not exactly sure what the errors that I am looking at mean. However, I presume that I am not supposed to have the big red blocks.

Does this shed any light on which component I need to send the priest to perform the exorcism on?

• big red blocks are fine for system that only uses one RDW and most robots are. only when using system with more than 8 motors, one would need additional RDW. note that it is motors and not axis because two or more motors could be working as one axis (common on large or powerful axes). and since each motor has own resolver , each need to be monitored. single RDW has inputs for 8 resolvers.

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you for that information. I have not used the DSE-RDW tool before, so I'm not exactly sure what the errors that I am looking at mean. However, I presume that I am not supposed to have the big red blocks.

Does this shed any light on which component I need to send the priest to perform the exorcism on?

Look under DriveBus in the picture shows when things are OK

• panic mode - thanks - yes - I only have 7 axes on this machine, so there is only one RDW. Shoulda realized that earlier.

Danny DJ - It looks like I do not have any motors listed the way that yours does under the Drive Bus menu.

• panic mode - thanks - yes - I only have 7 axes on this machine, so there is only one RDW. Shoulda realized that earlier.

Danny DJ - It looks like I do not have any motors listed the way that yours does under the Drive Bus menu.

You don't even have KPS listed there, at least KPS should be listed there that is odd, communication on DriveBus goes from DSE-KPS-KSD. Did you maybe checked DSE-KPS cable(conductivity, bent pins) i guess nobody unplugged something (DSE-KPS cable) because before the robot was working.

• i guess nobody unplugged something (DSE-KPS cable) because before the robot was working.

This is my presumption, but absolutely anything could have happened. I am told that it was turned off and then failed on startup the next morning, but as with most any story, I have only about 75% confidence in it. There had been a network router issue that was keeping a mapped drive from popping up during the period leading up to this issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if the operator had opened the cabinet and shook some chicken bones over the system along with whatever else he may have done.

I pulled the DSE-KPS cable from another known working robot and installed it. (no change)

I also pulled the DSE card (I'm pretty sure that it's the DSE card) out of the motherboard and installed one from a different robot in the motherboard of the problem system. Still no improvement.

I do feel like we are homing in on the problem, since I don't get any new errors when I disconnect the DSE-KPS cable completely.

There are some ribbon cables that run up to a PCB that has the ports for ST3 (DSE-KPS cable), ST4 cable, and ST6 cable. This is the only component between the motherboard and the KPS that I have not tested.

Outside of the ribbon cables and small board for the ports, is there something software-related that might affect this?

• Hi, i tried to recreate the errors which you have by unplugging the ST3 (DSE-KPS cable) then in the DSE-RDW tool menu no KSD-s nor KPS where present like in your case.

If i unplugged the first cable from KPS to KSD1 for A1 axis, then only KPS was in the DSE-RDW tool menu so that is correct.

After re-connection of the cables i had to do cold boot of the robot to clear the errors. I guess your robot is also not set to hibernate mode. Hibernate mode isn't ok when exchanging hardware stuff KSD, KPS, etc. in the controller

Tomorrow i will try and disconnect the ribbon cables which goes on DSE card, sometimes those ribbon cables can also bent so much so the wires inside can be broken.

Looking to the el. schematic for the controller, last 5 wires in the narrow ribbon cable are for DSE-KPS(DSE(X4)-ST2-A32 card-ST3) interbus communication.

• Update on this issue. It turned out that I had a bad MFC card as well as a bad KPS600. During the testing and messing around with all of this, I presume that in handling, one or the other was damaged by (mis)handling. I think that one went out to cause the shutdown and the other was damaged while we were diagnosing the problem.

In testing one component at a time, the problem never went away. The problem was ultimately discovered when we went to install the questionable parts in a different robot cabinet and one by one, each item was confirmed good or bad.

Thank you to everyone for all of the help on this.

Advertising from our partners