KUKA KRC4 8.3.X Ultra VNC & sharing file setup - Guidelines development

• I have been experiencing issues while trying to set up UltraVNC to remotely control my KUKA krc4 with my PC and share files. I have checked all the information in this forum, but it still did not work.

I would like to simplify the process into the minimum number of steps to help others experiencing the same problem.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Follow Rebots tutorial, Rebots tutorial CycleNorts doc

KUKA KRC4 remote desktop UltraVNC and Sharing files on network locations
    #Tutorial In this video we will learn how to connect to our KUKA KRC4 remotely using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) with UltraVNC as an alternative to KUKA Vi...
    www.youtube.com

https://www.robot-forum.com/attachment/29844-ultravnc-setup-on-kuka-krc4-v1-pdf/

1. Set network connection in KRC4:
    • Fixed IP 192.168.
    • DNS 255.255.0.0
    • Open a 5900 port tcp/udp
    • Cold start
    1. Wire between KUKA controller and PC:
    • Connect the Network cable to the port on the door of the Controller.
    • Check if the cable works.
    • Ethernet cable between PC and KUKA controller, or through a LAN network.
    1. Install UltraVNC x86 (same version as PC) on KUKA:
    • RDPmode
    • Set password
    1. Install UltraVNC viewer x64 (same version as KUKA) on PC:
    • Set KUKA IP in network configuration

Alternatively, I also tried to access shared folders. Here are the steps I followed based on Samad35 user:

1. Minimize the Pendant.
    2. Go to File Explorer.
    3. Right-click on the drive you want and go to properties.
    4. In properties, set the driver for sharing.
    5. Go to your computer (on the same network) and open file explorer.
    6. Right-click on a blank part of the file explorer and click add a network location.
    7. When you go through the process, there will be a point where it will ask for an "Internet or network address." You would set it up like: "\192.168.#.#(c or d).
    8. The computer should find it and then it will ask for a username and password.
    9. Username: KukaUser, Password: 68kuka1secpw59. (I use KRC4, 8.3.34). If this is not correct, just Google it. It worked for me to find out the password. The username is what the user is on the computer when you minimize the pendant and look at user accounts.

If anyone could help me identify what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope this summary helps others facing similar issues.

At the end, I will develop a document to future users.

Thanks in advance,

• Place your Ad here!
  • Lemster68

Approved the thread.
  • Thank you for your response.

I will try to create a document with this info and include pictures to illustrate the process. It might help to understand better or to see small details.

Despite this, I wonder whether I am doing something wrong, so I want to ask about little details.

Regarding UltraVNC configuration:

1. Set network connection in the controller:
    • Some recommendations when using an IP direction?
    • DNS -> Something in PC has to be configured?
    1. Wiring
    • LAN cable plugged between the front door port from the KUKA controller to the PC, right? PC identifies it when I did this.
    1. UltraVNC
    • Is a stable version recommended? Or is some version currently working with KSS 8.3.X?

This is what I think I am possibly doing wrong.

Thanks,

• Front port on cabinet door is usually ksi port which has dhcp enabled and to my knowledge is not configurable or rather i've never fiddled with trying to change that, or set a static ip to ksi port. So if you have configured a static ip this should refer to kli port. Some may have both kli and ksi in front door so worth checking.

I would double check that you are connected to kli port and try again.

Regarding UltraVNC configuration:

Set network connection in the controller:

Some recommendations when using an IP direction?

DNS -> Something in PC has to be configured?

you are trying to clarify things but that requires being rather specific and focus discuss on .

for example - WHAT UVNC configuration? UVNC has couple of parts (client and server among other things). which one you are talking about? are you familiar with principles of network addressing (purpose, function and use of IP and subnet mask)?

IP address is group of numbers that tell TWO things - node address, and the network it belongs to...

the subnet mask defines where the split between those two is (need to look at things in binary and understand masking)

DNS stands for Domain Name Server. for convenience one can refer to server by name (an alias) rather than an actual IP address. for example (for humans) names like "google.com" are easier to remember than bunch of numbers. so WHEN computer is trying to find something (google server), it first needs to contact someone or comething to get the real IP address of that server (replace name with IP address). and THEN it can try connecting to the IP address of that server. but this switcheroo is meant for large networks(internet) so one can easily find some node. in local network with handful of nodes, doing this is not needed - when only few nodes are present, one may as well just memorize them and use IP address directly. in that case DNS is not importantand can stay 0.0.0.0

Wiring

LAN cable plugged between the front door port from the KUKA controller to the PC, right? PC identifies it when I did this.

again, this is very OPPOSITE of being specific....

"KUKA controller" is a very broad term and can refer to many things... (KRC1, KRC2, KRC4, KRC5, Sunrise). but even if we narrow it down to one of those like KRC4, there are still many variants (standard, extended, compact, small, small size 2, slim, panel mount...) and they may have connectors in different places (front door, bellow the door, side...), sometimes with different labels, sometimes multiple connectors for same interface... (X66, X67.1, X67.2,...)

if you are talking about CPS, this is an option found on certain variants only (standard and extended). and function of ethernet port is also not fixed, this could be KSI or KLI for example. KRC4 can have MANY ethernet ports but all of them have name and function. one you need is called KLI. to see where KLI is on your system you need to look around and check documentation.

the most direct way to KLI is to use port on the KPC itself.

btw. assigning IP address to KLI is a delicate process - check documentation to avoid addresses that fall into reserved ranges. on KSS8.3 there is no protection, one can assign unsupported IP address and if one uses one anyway, after reboot KRC will no longer work. make sure to take HDD image before messing with KLI settings.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks all for the support!

I will try to respond to both comments:

Totally agree, I will try to be more specific this time.

UVNC server x86 on KUKA controller

UVNC viewer x64 on Windows PC

I want to define network configuration on KUKA controller KRC4 standard used for a KR210 KUKA

Thing to do:

- Explore a valid IP adress

- DNS 0.0.0.0

KRC4 standard. Info from Operating and Intructions manual:

KSI - X43 on Cabinet control unit nº17 (in use)

KLI - on door port

Checking KUKA System Software 8.3 manual:

- KLI Configuration section

- Configuring the Windows interface (without PROFINET)

- Is this the configuration that I need? This section talks about adress range to avoid, etc

- No DNS as you mentioned. Example fix IP:

 IP address: 172.31.1.147
     Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Thanks,

• sorry, but i am having quite hard time following.

if you are trying to set network address of your KLI interface there are few things to note:

a) What else is using KLI? (RSI, EKI, ProfiNet, EthernetIP,...). it is possible that several of them are using just one network address but they also can be separate.

b) How many addresses are assigned to KLI? by default it is one (it is setup as virtual5) but there can be few more. Only one of them can be used as "Windows interface" and that is the one you should be looking for in this case.

c) can the address be static or dynamic? in most cases it is static (and that is default for any new robot you receive). Some options like ProfiNet require that address is static.

etc.

this is long and complex topic, there is no way to cover everything in forum thread.

About KLI addresses - manual for KS8.3 only listed 3 of the 4 reserved ranges so here is complete list from more recent manual:

KRC4 standard. Info from Operating and Instructions manual:

KSI - X43 on Cabinet control unit nº17 (in use)

KLI - on door port

again... that is one of possibilities but not necessarily applicable to every KRC4. other possibilities exist...

yes...

but also check the READ FIRST topic and warnings mentioned above if you want to change network address. you need to know what you are doing and you need to plan on making full image of the robot harddisk. this is done with KUKA USB Recovery stick. In KSS8.3 and older there is nothing preventing user from entering incompatible network settings and this could end up bad. and it is not enough to simply backup file

C:\KRC\ROBOTER\Config\User\Common\KliConfig.xml

So if you do not need to change KLI address, why not keep it as is and just open port so that VNC can be used (if that is your modus operandi). One option is to use Remote Desktop and that requires no software installed, but - that would require your computer to have professional version of Windows. home editions etc do not have Remote Desktop enabled.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• a) What else is using KLI? (RSI, EKI, ProfiNet, EthernetIP,...). it is possible that several of them are using just one network address but they also can be separate.

b) How many addresses are assigned to KLI? by default it is one (it is setup as virtual5) but there can be few more. Only one of them can be used as "Windows interface" and that is the one you should be looking for in this case.

c) can the address be static or dynamic? in most cases it is static (and that is default for any new robot you receive). Some options like ProfiNet require that address is static.

etc.

a) Nothing else

b) Just Virtual 5

c) Static

Quote from panic mode

So if you do not need to change KLI address, why not keep it as is and just open port so that VNC can be used (if that is your modus operandi). One option is to use Remote Desktop and that requires no software installed, but - that would require your computer to have professional version of Windows. home editions etc do not have Remote Desktop enabled.

My point is to configure the remote control as easy as possible.

I guess that I should not modify KLI config but just creating a port does not work.

My issue root could be IP, sub-net mask wrong definition or the port assigned.

I was wondering whether there is some common way to do it or at least identify common mistakes but I can not.

If there is some extra idea to help me or others, please let me know!

Thank you again,

• can you ping KLI from your computer?

what is the network setting of your computer port that connects to KLI?

if not familiar with networking, try to make change as small as possible.

for example:

leave KLI as is (in your case IP 172.31.1.147, subnet mask 255.255.0.0)

make your computer port the same but only change the last octet of the IP address (for example 172.31.1.100). note that the subnet mask must be the same (255.255.0.0) and the first few octets also must be the same as on KLI IP. how many octets must be the same is determined by subnet mask.

in this case mask is 255.255.0.0, meaning that first two octets MUST be the same as on robot (your computer IP address must begin with "172.31." because this is LAN address and you want want both robot and your computer to be part of same LAN). the remaining part of the IP address can and need to change because it must be unique on the LAN. since robot already has IP that ends with "1.147" this is taken so you need to try something else - something that is not used (such as "1.100" or "155.147" or "100.100" etc.)

note that each octet can only have value 0-255. so using something like "172.340,885,39" is unacceptable.

also first and last value are reserved for some special things so avoid 0 and 255 in IP address unless you know what you are doing.

the simplest tip is keep your computer network settings as close as robot settings - just change the last octet in IP address and use next free value between 0 and 255. beyond that, spend some time learning about computer networking.

if your computer already uses network card for other things (like internet access or accessing storage etc.) and you do not want to keep switching IP address every time you want to use VNC, and you do not feel comfortable messing with robot IP., you still have option - add another network setting to your network card. one network card can have multiple settings (just like KLI interface on the robot). and if your NIC is setup for DHCP, you can enable coexistence of DHCP and static addresses.

finally... when you can ping robot, you know that networking path exists. then you can read WoV project from the robot etc. but to use VNC you still need to open the port 5900 as shown in instructions.

3) read 1 and 2