where to start the controlling a robot ?

• Hi everyone!

I'm new to this and I'm getting confused, so I hope someone with more experience can advise me. I have a kuka kr20 r1810 robot with a krc4 8.6.5 control cabinet.

I would like to do a height control using a distance sensor that takes data and then passes it to the robot to correct the trajectory.

I don't know whether to carry out the control using an external program such as matlab, robodk, ROS... there are many tools and I don't know which one is the best to solve the problem I have.

Likewise, is it better to connect the sensor to the control cabinet or to the computer? If someone can guide me, I would appreciate it. :smiling_face:

• For KUKAs (or any major robot brand I'm aware of), "standard" motion cannot be changed during execution. That is, once the motion from Point A to Point B is started, it cannot be changed. It can be stopped, and then continued or cancelled, but not changed.

The KUKA option package to support realtime trajectory control is called "RSI". RSI would allow you to, for example, program a meter-long linear motion from point A to point B, but have the robot do "terrain following" along that trajectory using high-speed data from a height sensor.

• hello!, I'm back to make use of your wisdom.

Since I don't have rsi for now, I have used openshowvar to get variables through python. I have managed to read and write.

My problem is that the robot trajectories are done in g code since we use KUKA.CNC. My python program collects the sensor value and calculates the correction offset to the robot and sends it to it, what I have been able to observe is:

- The robot does not follow a continuous trajectory, it makes small stops

- The python program goes much faster, so it does many more calculations and I don't know which of all of them it sends, I don't know if the cnc takes the first one it receives until it has just reached the point, or as its receiving all the data changes continuously and therefore the stops

- I have thought about putting a flag in each line of g code so that it notifies python when the line has changed and does the calculation once, but I have not succeeded since in g code it seems that it does not allow variables to be entered (or I have not succeeded ).

Do you have any idea to solve the problem?

Thank you very much in advance

Advertising from our partners