How to do a perfect backup?

• Hello everyone.

What files should I save besides the usrapp folder to be completely safe in case something happens?

This week our robot crashed and somehow all the points got deviated like 30mm on the Z axis.

Not even transferring the usrapp backup folder I had solved the issue, as the points continued in the wrong place.

What did I miss?

Best regards and thanks in advance

• Hi,

When you make a backup (on the pendant or with SRS), You save /UsrApp (all the applications) + the folder /Config (all the configurations files) + the log folder.

If all the points are wrong after a crash, i'ts probably a geometry problem : The robot was not good calibrated at the learning point step, or now, the robot need to be calibrated...or perhaps the both !

Other causes :

- Your tool is wrong

- You backup is too old.

Best regards,

• Hi Galet.

Does the config folder include arm and drives configurations?

I figured it might not be enough to save only usrapp as the arm configuration should also influence everything.

Another question. Is there anyway to edit a point through his coordinates on the pendant?

Eg: Point A ( 10,10,10,20,20,20) change to (15,10,10,20,20,20). Is there a simpler way to edit it other than manually moving the robot to the point?

I know through SRS I can do it, I just dont know if its possible on the pendant.

Best regards

• Hi,

In the folder "Usrapp", you find only the applications. The file where the controller memorize the calibration datas is in the folder "Configs". It's the reason why, in the backup, the controller save 3 folders (Sys = System (Configuration)), UsrApp(applications), and Log (Logger).

The IO confgurations are also in Configs.

You can directly, on the robot, modifie all the datas (notably the points), if a pendant is connected to the controller.

What type of controller do you have ?

Best regards

Edited once, last by Galet ().

• To add some information up,

If you have a CS9 controller with any safety configuration, you also need to backup the binary file of the safety configuration.

You need to connect with SafePMT and get the safety binary file.

Also, I would strongly recommend in the future to create some calibration reference positions, so you can easily calibrate the robot. As it was said here, having the positional information from the application is not enough to recover, you need as well to make sure the robot is running with the same calibration as before.

• The usrapp is inside the USR folder.

There's 2 "configs" folders. One in USR, other in SYS, with similiar files, despite different values for configurations. Which one is the correct one?

Our controller is a CS8.

Also, I would strongly recommend in the future to create some calibration reference positions, so you can easily calibrate the robot. As it was said here, having the positional information from the application is not enough to recover, you need as well to make sure the robot is running with the same calibration as before.

What do you mean?

The robot has it's marks used for calibration, which is what we normally use when we want to calibrate it

Best regards

• What do you mean?

The robot has it's marks used for calibration, which is what we normally use when we want to calibrate it

Best regards

I mean, those are good enough to calibrate the robot itself.

But if for some reason you replace the robot arm, there is no guarantee that the replacement will be placed in the exact same position, even if it's well-calibrated.

It's possible to create your own calibration references on your cell, so you could check the robot's calibration against those. Our cells had that in the past but now we have a global frame to check the robot after calibration and to do small adjustments if needed.

This could be quite good especially if you replace it with a different robot size, just teach the same frame and you should be good to go.

Again, trusting only the robot calibration could not be enough to recover, especially if you move the robot's position within the cell, either for maintenance or replacement.

• It's possible to create your own calibration references on your cell, so you could check the robot's calibration against those. Our cells had that in the past but now we have a global frame to check the robot after calibration and to do small adjustments if needed.

This could be quite good especially if you replace it with a different robot size, just teach the same frame and you should be good to go.

Again, trusting only the robot calibration could not be enough to recover, especially if you move the robot's position within the cell, either for maintenance or replacement.

Got it!

We also have calibration references in the cell but we never needed to use it.

Our only priority right now is ensuring the correct position of the points in case something happens. There's no future plans of changing the robot mechanically

Best regards

The usrapp is inside the USR folder.

Yes...

There's 2 "configs" folders. One in USR, other in SYS, with similiar files, despite different values for configurations. Which one is the correct one?

The file is \usr\configs\arm.old or \usr\configs\arm.xxxx.cfx (where xxxx is the robot's serial number).

Edit the file and control the "OrderNumber"

+1 for EIEsgalho : To have a recent backup is a very good idea ! :smiling_face:

• Hi

Another question. Is there anyway to edit a point through his coordinates on the pendant?

Eg: Point A ( 10,10,10,20,20,20) change to (15,10,10,20,20,20). Is there a simpler way to edit it other than manually moving the robot to the point?

I know through SRS I can do it, I just dont know if its possible on the pendant.

On CS8 / SP1 :

MENU / Application Manager/Val3 Applications/"Your Application"/Global Datas/"Type of Data"...

Your points are in "Joint" for all the Joint positions and in "World" for all cartesian positions and frames.

Select your Data then "Edit=F3" key...

Be carreful when you change directly one point : Any safety for collision :smiling_face:

"Save=F8" when the modification is tested.

... a little backup after that.

Have a good day !

Advertising from our partners