Fastest Linear Speed Robot? 2000mm/s+

• I bought a used cartesian robot for $200 recently and it has a max speed of 2000mm/s. I have an adhesive application where the robot speed is the limitation. I have been checking with ChatGPT/Google for what is the fastest linear speed for a benchtop/scara robot (300mmx200mm coverage area). Haven't been able to find anything faster than 2m/s. Would like to find something that can go 10m/s. Do such robots exist? Are cartesian robots considered the fastest? Is there anything break neck speed?

• what payload? what is your budget? what kind of "bench"?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Delta robots are fastest one I know (round about 5 m/s), except those placement machines in the video posted by panic mode. But they aren't that precise as 'normal' robots.

BUT, reaching 5 m/s in an area of 300 mm with a payload of 0.5kg :hmmm:

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• what payload? what is your budget? what kind of "bench"?

FYI I have 2 of these:

• Delta robots are fastest one I know (round about 5 m/s), except those placement machines in the video posted by panic mode. But they aren't that precise as 'normal' robots.

BUT, reaching 5 m/s in an area of 300 mm with a payload of 0.5kg :hmmm:

I couldn't find deltas that fast but found this one but couldn't figure out its speed:

• That's not a delta robot. But also pretty fast.

They give 185 picks per minute for a cycle of 50mm/300mm/50mm so I calculate something around 4m/s. For a longer distance of 700mm I get 5 m/s.

• that is scara

here is an example of delta:

both scara and delta are lightweight designs meant for high speed. heavy parts like motors and gears are moved away from the moving parts to a stationary "base". motion is then obtained through some lightweight mechanism (therefore low inertia):

in case of scara that is done through belts, which is why construction consists of parallel shafts.

in case of delta, this is done through slender mechanical linkages that are tied at same point.

3) read 1 and 2

• if looking at really high speeds in excess of 3m/s or so, you will have hard time finding product that is not a custom design. linear actuators can be very fast using voice coils. they can easily reach or exceed 10m/s. and that is the thing... high speeds are not impossible but they are harder to achieve when moving something heavy. this is why swords used in fencing are not the bulky pirate sabers. and that is why cement trucks are not used in F1 racing.

the bulky load is a killer and requires huge energy to move. and this is why carefully designed lightweight construction with clear goals known in advance are needed to break any speed records. industrial robots are meant to be strong. and one could get high tcp speed wne if not very fast robot if the tool is long and lightweight. of course there are tradeoffs like positional accuracy. it is one thing to put a pin into a matchstick using hand, it is another thing to do the same if the pin is at the end of long fishing pole.

3) read 1 and 2

• My application is jetting fluids so tool is around 500 grams but covering micron layers in each cycle. The cartesian robot is listed with max speed of 2000mm/s but only 0.6G acceleration. I am trying to understand if acceleration will be an issue going back and forth 300mm.

Cycle times on $2500 cobot scara are estimated to be 46 minutes, has maximum speed of 1500mm/s. I'm hoping to reach cycle times of 8-10 minutes preferably with one head.

• Found this robot but still wanting faster. Its rated at 6.8m/s. Still hoping to reach 10! Does any other manufacturer make something similar?

Advertising from our partners