Frame function

• Hello everybody,

I would like to replicate the function "Frame" on other robots, like Kuka.

SET pallet = FRAME(loc.origin, loc.x.axis, loc.pos.y, loc.origin)

The new frame pallet has a different orientation than loc.origin, loc.x,axis and loc.pos.y (let's suppose these 3 points has the same orientation Rx,Ry,Rz)

This difference can be calculated as: SET dif = INVERSE(pallet) :loc.origin

Then, I can move on the pallet:

SET pick = pallet:TRANS(0*x.distance, 2*y.distance):dif

What I don't understand is why the frame pallet comes out with a different orientation, even though the 3 points have the same orientation between them.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

• Place your Ad here!
  • Hi,

you can find very good and sipmle explanation of FRAME function by Kawasaki Youtube Channel:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The AS language is very similar to V+. Just consider instead of "SET" in V+ it is "POINT" in AS, instead of ":" in V+ it is "+" in AS and instead of "INVERSE" it is "-" (MINUS) in AS.

• It has been many years since I was deep into V+ language, but something doesn't seem correct with your code. Perhaps. Maybe. Possibly.

Your method of calculating and using the INVERSE transform dif bothers me for some reason, and I cannot discern why (too many years ago). :sleeping_face:

Establish a frame (user coord sys) in space with

SET pallet = FRAME(loc.origin, loc.x.axis, loc.y.axis, loc.origin)

This assumes that you taught the three frame locations properly (and taught with an accurate tool):

• loc.origin is at the ORIGIN of the new frame
    • loc.x.axis is ON the X-AXIS of the new frame
    • loc.y.axis is somewhere in the positive X-Y plane of the new frame (not required to be ON the Y-AXIS of the frame, but is nice if it is)
    • fourth argument defines the location of the new frame origin
    • orientation of the three frame location points is irrelevant, only X, Y, Z are used to calculate the frame

Do all of that, then your command to calculate a point relative to the new frame pallet is:

SET pick = pallet:TRANS(x_offset, y_offset, z_offset)

BUT it is critical to recognize that the new point pick has the orientation of the new frame pallet. That is, if your frame pallet Z-AXIS is pointing UP (e.g., towards the ceiling) and you desire to have your gripper Tool Coord Sys Z-AXIS pointing DOWN to the workpiece (e.g, towards the floor), then you must reverse the orientation.

SET pick = pallet:TRANS(x_offset, y_offset, z_offset):TRANS( <either RX = 180, or RY = 180> )

If frame pallet is taught with foresight, then the pallet Z-AXIS is pointed the direction you need for the tool Z-AXIS, you just have to adapt the X, Y, Z offsets to match your physical position.