Finding Distance between two positions with probe.

• I am looking for a way to calculate the distance between two points. I have an EOAT that has a spring-loaded probe whose position can be sensed with a proximity switch. I want to use it to measure the distance between two surfaces.

My current procedure is to skip jump to a reference surface moving along the tool's Z axis, pushing the probe end against the surface until the proximity sensor turns on. The robot stops and records the position to a Position Register using LPOS. I then offset the position about 5mm along the tool's X and then skip jump to the second surface. When the proximity sensor turns on the robot stops and records the second reference point to another position register.

I currently subtract the Z part of the coordinates to find the distance. This works great if the tool's Z axis is parallel to the World Z axis. Unfortunately, I need to measure the distance regardless of the tool's orientation. Many of the surfaces are at angles to any of the X, Y, or Z axes. Is there a way to save the position relative to the tool head? Or is there an easier way to calculate this distance? I am using tool offsets to advance the tool head is there a way to leverage this?

I am using TP on an LRMate200ic with an R-30ia controller, it is about 15 years old and does not have any advanced math functions installed.

I am currently leaning towards using the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance but with no square root function, it seems annoyingly difficult. I may resort to using Newton's approximation. I was thinking that there has to be a function to compare two points but so far my search has come up short.

• You can write your own square root function in Karel.

One more thought:

In first measuring point create a new uframe with the actual tcp position in respect to world, store the actual position in respect to this new user frame (should be zero on all coordinates).

Measure the next position with old uframe, switch to the new created uframe, now you have the distance in the actual Z coordinate.

• Thank you hermann!

Your solution was much easier than anything I was going to come up with.

This is what I ended up with. No matter the orientation of the tool I just read the z position of the second point.

First Point

PR[20:SCRATCH] = LPOS

UFRAME[6]=PR[20]

Second point

UFRAME_NUM=6

PR[20:SCRATCH] = LPOS

R[200]=PR[20,3]

UFRAME_NUM=0

Advertising from our partners