Unable to ping KRC4 controller from my PC over KLI interface

• Hi,

I am having trouble connecting my computer to my new KRC4 controller over the KLI interface. I am not able to ping the robot from my PC.

I set the robot IP and subnet via the HMI and performed several cold reboots with file reload.

I have switched ethernet cables, tried to plug directly into the KLI port inside the control box rather than using the external X66 plug. An amber light and a green light are visible on the ethernet port at the KLI plug.

I have one additional device on the same subnet that I am able to ping from my computer.

Sounds similar to issues unable to ping a robot through KLI port

I also reached out to kuka but no response yet.

Controller Info

KRC4

KSS 8.6.8

Computer

IP: 172.31.1.107

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Robot

IP: 172.31.1.147

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Edited once, last by rshanor: Fixed IP addresses. ().

• they cannot have same IP address.

change one of them to a different IP such as 172.31.1.148

reason is that the IP address is really composed of two fields:

LAN address (most significant block of bits)

Node address (least significant block of bits).

together they are 32-bits in total but it is the subnet mask that tells where the split in IP address is.

and that is also the reason why in subnet mask all set bits are on the left side.

usually we look at network settings in decimal format where 32-bits are divided into four octets.

so the 255 is value where all bits in an octet are set. mask like 255.0.255.0 is not valid since set bits are not grouped together.

so when connecting two nodes:

subnet mask must be the same (you have this, both are 255.255.0.0)

LAN address must be the same (you have this, both are 172.31.x.x)

node address must be unique (you do not have this, both are x.x.1.147 but they need to be unique)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• all right...

are you sure you are using correct physical interface on the KRC?

are you sure IP address on your PC is actually address of the Network interface you are trying to use and not some virtual interface like for vmware or virtualbox?

are you sure that network cable you use is ok?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• are you sure you are using correct physical interface on the KRC?

I tried both the external X66 connection on the outside of the controller and the KLI port on the inside of the controller. I have an identical controller where the X66 connection works.

are you sure IP address on your PC is actually address of the Network interface you are trying to use and not some virtual interface like for vmware or virtualbox?

Yes. I am connected through a switch and have a 3rd device on the same network (172.31.1.120). I am able to talk to that device just fine from my PC.

are you sure that network cable you use is ok?

Yup, switched around cables and able to talk to the 3rd device mentioned above.

Advertising from our partners