Newly acquired Kawasaki UX150 with C-Controller

• I did a quick check of the wire harnessed going to JT4-5-6 and they looked mint. I don't think the issue will be on the robot side since I only moved it slightly in every direction (it's on a pallet).

I wouldn't be too quick to assume all that, that is precisely why I mentioned to carry out the test in my previous post............up to you though.

TB2 looks fine with the jumper configuration.

Whoever terminated them, removed the blue wires (X15).

If you follow them, they will go to that connector.

As mentioned, they are just the field connections:

- External emergency stop

- Safety fence circuit

These are covered in the external IO manual I posted in the C controller manuals section as mentioned previously.

Other wires from the rear of that terminal go to the internal 24V power supply unit (back left).

You may also have a led and a fuse near to the connector on the outside of the cabinet that is also connected to the power supply too.

• Here are the results of my tests so far,

I tried swaping the motors connectors, however I didn't have enough reach on the other cables so I left JT5 unplugged and plugged its harness on JT4 or 6 (the stickers are missing). This resulted in no change at all, the error was still on JT5 and I had no error for the unplugged motor. I tried clearing the error multiple times but it wouldn't clear.

I tested all the wires on the controller plug and harness plug with a DVM and none of them were shorted to ground. Also tested on the motor connector with the same result...

I think this might be an issue on a board or current overload sensor since the motors are not even powered up... I'm going back to the troubleshooting manual .

• I tried swaping the motors connectors, however I didn't have enough reach on the other cables so I left JT5 unplugged and plugged its harness on JT4 or 6 (the stickers are missing)

Strange to hear that, I have done this many times without any issues of reach.

However, if that fault still remained with JT5, then it points to internal harness, umbilical's or power block.

I tested all the wires on the controller plug and harness plug with a DVM and none of them were shorted to ground.

Each harness on the arm is separate and the internal conductors are shrouded with an internal shield.

Using a DVM may not yield any issues due to the low voltage and impedance existing with DVM's.

Not to say a DVM is not a capable tool to cold check with though.

If you want to be 100% with harnesses (especially old ones), the only good method is to use a megger on them by disconnecting them on both ends and shove some HV across the conductors to check for cross conductor leakage.

I have seen many an old robot with internal harness shorting to the internal shield when in certain positions where the harness is compressed/under tension and an internal conductor is damaged.

With you moving the arm successfully prior to this, it is very conceivable that an internal harness to JT5 could have been stretched/compressed causing damage.

I think this might be an issue on a board or current overload sensor since the motors are not even powered up... I'm going back to the troubleshooting manual .

However, it's not for me to determine whether your cables are good or bad......only you can check on them and decide whether they are good or not.

Check the connections to the power block are secured (all Kawasaki have clicked connectors) so if you pull on them, they should not come out.

Then all that leaves is the power block itself, or the AVR supplies may be low - so it's worthwhile checking those using a DVM on the CPU board test pins and make sure they are in spec.

If not, you can use the potentiometers to adjust them so that they are within range.

The AVR supplies and test pins on the CPU board are referenced in the troubleshooting manual.

• Hello again,

I did a bit more testing. since I don't have a megger, I tested the voltage on the 1GA board and everything was perfect.

I tried unplugging the umbilicals again and the JT5 error cleared. I plugged them back in, restarted the robot and got no error. I was able to power up the motors this time and started taking a video. I didn't move the robot and while filming I pushed on the open control box door and the JT5 error popped up again. I was the unable to clear the error.

Since I didn't move the robot and It seems the error popped up again when I pushed the door that moved the umbilical, I'm thinking the issue might indeed be a short in the umbilicals, probably near the connector or inside it.

I'll try unplugging the cables on the robot side to see If the issue is on the robot or in the umbilicals. I'll keep you update !

• Certainly sounds like an intermittent cable issue, which is good news really in comparison to potential hardware failure.

Depending on how the 2nd user umbilicals were used/mounted in the field, areas around the connector gland could have internal damage if they were not located or improper strain reliefs were not used.

Looks like your making progress though....... :top:

• Hello kwakisaki,

I've tried to remove the umbilicals on the robot side and still had the error, so it seems the issue is not on the robot but in the umbilicals or connectors. When removing the connector on the robot side I noticed it is damaged. However the damage seems to be superficial (a corner of the housing is broken off) and I haven't noticed any change plugging and unplugging it.

What I have noticed is that the error seems to be pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it comes back immediately after clearing, sometimes taking a few seconds, sometimes clearing completely (I was even able to move the robot at some point).I've played with the cable near the controller box and it seemed to influence the error. I'll keep playing around with the umbilical and connectors but the signs seem to be pointing to a short in the umbilical housing.

I've unwound the unbilical and searched for bumps or tears, there is a slight deformation near the connector on the control box side as if the cable was crushed, it doesn't seem that bad but it is the only suspicious place I can see.

I'm thinking about trying to shorten the cable a little myself or finding someone to do it for me.

Hopefully I'll be back with good news soon !

• Visual inspection on umbilicals will not suffice as a categoric check.

To 100% test them, you would be better removing them completely and independently megger each conductor (takes time, but you never know with 2nd user kit).

I wouldn't be so quick to rule them out - X5/X5A

I would check the internal housings for foreign material too, you could be really unlucky and have something wedged in there.

I would also check inside the cabinet, where the umbilicals connect to, it is possible a wire or foreign object is in there (never come across that, but possible).

I would also check the connector to the power block XM3SA to make sure that is connected securely and check for shorts there too.

• A little update on the symptoms:

I started the robot a few times and it seems the error doesn't appear on "cold starts" I managed to move it a few times but the error inevitably pops up after moving it a while. Especially when moving JT5.

I cleaned the controller box with compressed air and insisted on the internal housings. I also cleaned them up with circuit cleaner and toroughly checked all the connections. I noticed the damaged connector has a bit of play but still don't think this is the issue.

I also checked XM3SA and it was plugged in securely, cleaned both sides with compressed air and plugged it back in.

I started the robot without any error but it still poped up a minute later and wouldn't clear again.

I'll try to find someone to megger the umbilical, we'll see...

• I noticed the damaged connector has a bit of play but still don't think this is the issue.

What's this?

If it is an umbilical to the controller, then this needs to be secure with the clasps.

Are you saying this is damaged?

Can you tie wrap it all tight if so and retest?

We're still not in a position to categorically state where this issue lies with the in frequency of just when this error is appearing.

She's being very stubborn, come on lady, flicker those eye lashes for us....

Can you check the 1GB board (under the metal cover mounted to the power block).

Check and confirm all cables are securely connected.

Specifically CN10 as this is directly connected to the current sensing modules for JT4, JT5 and JT6.

Can you also measure the 1GA voltage test pins and report back the actual DC values from them?

My spider senses are still leaning towards the umbilicals or inside the connectors of the umbilicals though.....

• I'm checking the 1GB board and CN10 is plugged in perfect, CN1 was half unplugged tho. I pushed it back in.

The DC voltages were :

-12.05 VDC

12.03 VDC

4.99 VDC

Here is a picture of the 1GB board with error and the LEDs on.

I now have the X5 Umbilical unplugged but the JT5 error keeps coming back.

• Yes the connector damage still looks to have enough purchase on it via the clasping lugs.

The voltages look within spec although the 1GB voltages look a little low to me.

Maybe worth putting some test clips on the 1GB pins and adjust the pots on the front of the AVR for -12 and +5

But they will only need the smallest tweak and I emphasise this not even a segment.

I now have the X5 Umbilical unplugged but the JT5 error keeps coming back.

Yep, you mentioned this and this is where she is throwing in a saucepan................as it is logically pointing to the hardware in the controller as opposed to the umbilicals based on that.

The attached image red circled is CN9 and CN10.

- CN9 is the current sensor feedback from JT1, JT2, JT3 to 1GB.

- CN10 is the current sensor feedback from JT4, JT5, JT6 to 1GB.

Yellow circled is CN1 and it does not appear connected fully - see the open wing, snap that baby in.

As your error is pointing to JT5, then CN10 connection is definitely worth checking by removing it, cleaning it all up and reconnecting it.

Those connectors are not easy to remove - ie impossible to vibrate loose due to a lever on the side.

You will notice a small white lever on the right side of them, which retains them in place.

So be careful when removing it.

I would get some IPA or switch cleaner to clean the pins and plug to remove any crap and reconnect.

See if that helps any.

Other than that, it looks like there is some problem via the current sensor on JT5 in the power block.

The current sensors are hall effect (blue doughnuts where the output phases pass through).

It may be that the sensor itself has a dry joint soldering it to the board.

This is where it's pointing more towards now.

• Ok, thank you !

I'll be checking all that tomorrow. Last update on the symptoms for tonight:

As I finished checking everything, I noticed the TP had blacked out again and restarted the controller. The TP came back to life and I had the Interbus error that cleared immediately and the JT5 error didn't pop up. It's getting pretty confusing...

• I noticed the TP had blacked out again and restarted the controller.

Never heard of that before.

You are aware the TP backlight shuts off after 5 or 10 mins (I can't remember precisely) of inactivity.

When you total all these symptoms up, it's as though there is some power supply issues to the logic side of the electronics.

Can you take some voltage readings again tomorrow and also check the incoming supply phases to earth and confirm they are all balanced and also phase to phase to readings.

I would consider tweaking those AVR voltages too, the 1GB values appear quite borderline to specifications.

It may just be something like this that's making her not wanting to play properly or conceivably be the AVR starting to fail.

Pity you don't have access to some spare parts.

I do know a company here in the UK that carries lots of 2nd user parts (as they buy ex jaguar controllers) and I can give you a name and contact email if you require - but they are likely to be expensive due to the obsolete nature of the parts.

• Hello kwakisaki,

I had plugged that baby in yesterday ! I took the measurements on the 1GB board and tweaked them to :

-12.10 VDC

12.10 VDC

5.05 VDC

I didn't know about the TP going sleep mode so that's probably what happened...

I plugged GB-CN10 out cleaned it and plugged it back in.

After that I restarted the robot and it worked for a while again. I played with JT5 as much as I could, then it locked again however the time I had a new error:

1500 JT5 of motor overload

Then it cleared it and started it again then had the error:

1504 position envelope error of JT5

Cleared it and the JT5 over current error popped up and wouldn't clear again...

When running the motor I noticed I heard suspicious noises but when I tried to record them but the JT5 error wouldn't clear again...

• :wallbash: ............................... :bur2: ......................... :censored:

My word she's really throwing her legs out of bed isn't she.

Ok, so let's sum things up........

1. Initially you have this to salvage parts from.

2. Plugged stuff in, and discovered it moved.

3. At this point, no real exercise tests/warm up tests or a full operational check was carried out.

4. Errors may have been there, but no full testing was done, cannot rule this out from the start.

5. Then an issue with the TP screen - which appears to have been resolved with fuse bridge.

6. Since then, regular JT5 Amp overcurrent errors intermittently.

7. Small AVR tweaks made which are good IMHO.

8. Now you are getting JT5 motor overload error, JT5 position envelope error and suspicious noises.

OK, looking at the errors:

JT5 amp overcurrent:

- Current sensor from power block to 1GB, 1GB reports too much current on JT5.

- Possible motor stator shorting to ground.

- Possible power block failure.

- Possible harness failure.

- You say this error can appear on power up of the controller, before you turn on motor power.

- You say this error can appear even though the umbilicals are disconnected.

JT5 motor overload:

- Force acting on the joint preventing motion.

- Possible brake not releasing or mechanical link issue (gear box, motor spline, drive rods).

JT5 position envelope:

- commanded position is different from actual position - possible brake not releasing.

- Possible brake not releasing or mechanical link issue (gear box, motor spline, drive rods).

Amp overcurrent, motor overload, position envelope error is usually related to the arm:

- Motor brake failure.

- Motor failure where stator shorted to ground.

- Internal harness failure.

Motor overload and/or position envelope will never appear unless the robot is attempting to move.

Throwing the suspicious noises into the mix, it maybe the brake was not releasing and the noise was the motor shaft rubbing against the brake plate.

- Check MCB F5 inside the cabinet, cycle it a couple of times/blow some air/switch cleaner.

- Then try and get a buddy, and test each joint using brake release buttons for each joint.

- JT4, JT5 and JT6 may be difficult to move due to back driving through the gearing.

- JT1 is easy enough.

- JT2 and JT3 will drop due to gravity, so suspend the arm FIRST if you are going to test JT2 and JT3

I am hoping the suspicious noise, motor overload and position envelope are the result of the brake not releasing due to F5 (this was a common aging issue on these controllers - MCB becomes crusty).

Next time you power it up and without any errors, instead of trying JT5, can you try the other joints instead?

Do you know what I mean when I say, select Joint Interpolation when trying to move it manually?

• Yes it seems the more we search, the more we have to search...

I'm not seeing MCB F5 nor finding it in the troubleshooting manual. Can you help me locate it ?

I'm guessing It's an other movement mode I can activate by pressing joint interpolation in the teach block menu on the TP ?

I'm having difficulties clearing the error, I'll record a video as soon as the error clears and I manage to move it again

• While trying to clear the error I have unplugged X5 and noticed the error clears then comes back after an inconsistent amount of times (it's not clearing at all with X5 plugged in).

I tried the manual break release and hear them click I'll try to move them with a buddy as soon as I can

• I'm not seeing MCB F5 nor finding it in the troubleshooting manual. Can you help me locate it ?

There are 3 MCB's on the inside left of the controller (resettable breakers) near the big contactors.

F3, F4 and F5.

F5 is for the brake supply.

Just a question to, what voltage are you supplying to the controller?

Advertising from our partners