SRS 2022 is it worth and stable?

• Hallo everyone,

Wishes for a great 2023!

With the beginning of the new year, I would like to hear your opinions on SRS2022.

I don't have an SRS licence, working with the 2019 free version, and I found someone selling an SRS2022 dongle on eBay.

He told me that he upgraded it from SRS2019 to 2022, but because SRS2022 is very unstable he is trying to sell it and buy an SRS2019 licence.

I know this sound like a scam, but I will collect it in person :grinning_squinting_face:

Also, where can I get the new SRS2022 free version, is no longer publicly available on their web page...

Would you please share with me your experience and opinions?

• Hello EIEsgalho,

Without any licence, SRS2022 working and is stable.

The 3D engine is changing (Use now Directx). In simulation mode, I found some crash but not often (I hope it's some "youth" problems).

To program, no problem.

Between 2019 and 2022 the big new functionnality is the new safety configuration tool.

To download it, I think you need to have and account (technical data).

If you have a good price and work on Stäubli robots, I advise to buy it :smiling_face: and win many times. (The solution to use Filezilla and Notepad++ is Ok but lose safety and time)...

Have a nice new year...

Edited 2 times, last by Galet ().

• Hi,

I use SRS 2022 and I think it's better than it used to be :winking_face: It can be improved (still some little bugs yet) but I think in few years it will be like RobotStudio ABB or equivalent software.

Buy it if you have to work now on staubli robots because you can prepare offLine very easily. If not wait the future version :winking_face:

I hope I helped you camarade

• SRS is update every arround 2 months (free) and every 3 years (not free)

I'm agree with mR.PCX it's actually the best tool to simulate a robot installation...after RobotStudio, but very far before Kuka Sim and If you work with RobotGuide...it's an other world.

• I don't see a massive benefit from the free version to the paid one.

Everything regarding configuration you can do for free on SRS, programming you can do it with notepad++.

SRS free doesn't allow you to save programs but if you do it with notepad++ you are able to simulate as well.

At the end of the day, I can't see it as a good investment... But I admit it would be nice to have it, and not struggle with notepad++ tricks anymore.

Never played with Kuka Sim, but robot studio looks way better than SRS. Also, roboGuide is quite powerful, I can simulate and test vision on roboGuide, the only difference from the real world would be the image quality, but if you want to teach the shape to be recognized, it is very easy on roboGuide.

To be fair is quite cheap compared to others, I wish I had more Staubli work, I would buy SRS if that was the case... It looks like is winning traction but is not there yet.

• Hi ElEsgalho,

I’ve been involved with Staubli robot recently too.

Still struggling to search every information about the robot , ,but the information in my country is very less, until I see you post here.

Could you please suggest or advise where can I download the SRS 2019 or 2022 ? I would also like to have the off-line programmer to study how to use the robots.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon thank you so much!

• Hi ElEsgalho,

Thank you so much for your sharing!!

I've followed your step to create an account and now waiting for the registration.

I'll let you know if everything goes smoothly.

For the "can't download SRS 2019 anymore", does it means that only SRS2022 on Staubli portal?

• Hello,

No, you can download all versions (2022/2019/2016/2013...) but, only if you have already cells simulation in SRS2019, I think it's not a good idea to begin with SRS2019.

But I don't know if you can buy (by Stäubli) a licence for old versions.

For information :

SRS2019 is needed to work with CS9 (First steps with Safety configuration tool)

SRS2022 can upload directly the Safety configuration.

For simulation SRS1019 and 2022 are not compatible. None problem to edit or modifie programs.

If you just want to transfert files (To or from robot controller), you can use the both versions (I don't use again 2016 but I thing it's always possible : If you find an old licence, I can make a small test)

Have a nice day...

• I think SRS is a few years behind robot studio but still a very strong software for development. The newer version has a much better tp interface in my opinion where you can actually use a virtual TP like in Fanuc Roboguide. The simulations also look very good, on par with ABB and better than Fanuc. Galet said this new version of SRS changed to DirectX, and I can defiantly tell a difference in rendering time as well as just moving around.

If you use Staubli a lot, or even just consistently, I recommend the new version for the extra troubleshooting capabilities you have offline just off a backup.

• Galet I had to buy SRS2022 because I often work with Staubli robots.

To be totally honest, the software is graphically better than SRS2019 but is more unstable. Sometimes, it just closes without any warnings, for me, it looks like they released an unfinished or unpolished version just for the scheduled launch.

Example of the component editor, not sure why it exists, but it looks like it sometimes will be added there in the future. For now, I do all my CAD work outside SRS.

The thing that annoys me is the fact that only the robot is animated, anything else is static. I don't do too many simulations, but bits like opening a CNC door so the robot can go inside and take the product is impossible.

Kudos for the constant release of updates, early versions were way worst than the 2022.3 that I have. And as a programming environment, I really like the visual studio-alike approach of the auto-complete, debugging, breakpoints, and so on.

I would like to have the option to change to a dark theme, that white background is killing my eyes, also, programs should be able to return variables instead of relying on global data.

For example, if I want to create a program that returns a number, now I have to create the global num data or pass it as a reference. I would like to have something like this:

Code
    myNum = myProgram(input data)

At the moment is like this:

Code
    call myProgram(input data) -> return on a global data or
    call myProgram(input data, &myNum)

This doesn't make any sense... Even worst, when some of the native VAL3 instructions return data but you can't create your programs to return data!

• Hi Musumeci,

As said here, you can't buy older versions, and these are not supported or maintained anymore. I have seen SRS2016 videos on youtube and SRS2019 looks exactly the same with better graphics. SRS2022, it's different from SRS2019, so any tutorials on youtube won't be valid, I believe the 3D engine is totally different.

• @EIEsgalho,

I'm agree with you.

In Val3, it's missing the function and optionnal parameters.

For the simulation, we can pick or place a part but not really move it. +1 for the "black" mode.

I find problem, too, with the reference Frame when I load a step file or when I make a group, but I think It's a youth issue.

Advertising from our partners