Mitsubishi axes separate control

• Hello!

I have a question about the implementation of the separate control function with Mitsubishi axes.

There are contradictions between Kawasaki Separate Control Manual and Mitsubishi MR-J4 manual.

In Kawasaki manual it is told that I need to add a magnetic contactor between motor and amplifier (fig. 1), but Mitsibishi manual strictly forbids installing a contactor between the motor and the amplifier (fig. 2)

So, my question is how to make a correct wiring? Should I follow the Kawasaki manual or Mitsubishi manual?

Thank you in advance!

• That could be a misprint, as the external axis addition manual shows the same circuit without the contactor.

However in the separate control manual, this circuit (contactor control) is electrically demonstrated and controlled via a safety relay module and even though UVW is mentioned, they are referring to the supply to the amplifier, not the output to the motor.

You can also see in both manuals, the additional cabinet drawing, only provide 1 contactor per amplifier, for power off which suggests the circuit in the external separate control manual is a misprint.

I know most VFD's, disconnecting the output using contactors is never recommended due to the PWM signals which can cause malfunction within the VFD during normal operation for starting/stopping only.

So they recommend in the event of emergency that power to the VFD is mechanically disconnected as opposed to the motor output being disconnected.

However, some VFD's ae designed to allow for mechanical output disconnection.

I would ask Kawasaki directly about this to confirm/verify as the recommended amplifiers could allow for this mechanical disconnection to be integrated but IMHO I doubt it, I suspect a misprint as the additional cabinet drawing associated with separate control in the same manual, does not show MC1 and MC2.

Well spotted................ :top:

• I've managed to have a one on one discussion with a Kawasaki engineer regarding this and they can see the issue you've raised.

From their perspective, the Kawasaki manual is correct as it details the recommended safety relay to be used to control the MC to disconnect the motor output, brake release, enable signals in the event of emergency.

They cannot comment on the Mitsubishi document you reference to as this is produced outside of Kawasaki, but can appreciate your concerns and at this stage, can only confirm the Kawasaki recommendation outlined in the manual is an applicable design factor.

They are going to contact Japan for clarity over this, but this may take sometime I'm afraid before a definitive answer is received.

• Thank you for asking a Kawasaki for me!

I'm very appreciate your efforts

Advertising from our partners