Startup error task hpjts -1

Startup error task hif -1

Startup error task his -1

Startup error task hiats -1

Startup error task hip -1

Startup error synchronize task -1

Startup error go task -1

nothing else.....

Does anyone of you robot Gurus have a hint for me as to what happened here? :thinking_face:

We did a service shutdown, installed a surge protector on the transformer, then fired back up about an hour later and the above popped up on the screen.

Thanks for the time.

Drew

• Doing the service shutdown was smart, the image should have been good.

Perhaps the jostling around in the controller has induced a bad connection - I would reseat everything.

If the outcome is the same, then reseat everything inside the computer unit. The M2000A computer unit is very easy to access.

• Skooter , thanks for the reply. I tried all of those things, no dice. I found out that what ended up happening was a corrupt boot image. The reason for this was an old version of the controller battery charger .07. Apparently, chargers before rev 10 had a programmed runtime, after which they will no longer charge the controller battery. When the robot was shut down for maintenance, there was not enough charge to last for the hour or so we were down. Consequently, the SMB lost communication with the controller and also the compact flash drive was corrupted.

To fix this, it was necessary to delete "image.bin" and replace using the com1 port on top of the controller computer, followed by (pretty sure it was) an IStart. After which it was necessary to replace the DSQC 508 unit to a rev 10 or later version, part number 3HAC 5393-2 in the controller and the 3HAC 16831-1 battery in the Robot. Because of the loss of SMB communication, it was also necessary to do a rev counter update which required driving the robot back to (0,0,0,0,0,0,) and updating. This fix although not complicated, required extensive knowledge of the OS (SC4+) and a laptop with specialty software and connections (you will also need your Key. The process took about 3 hours, including testing, and cost about $2000.00 with parts.

Lesson learned? Please do your battery PM yearly! $400 for batteries is a lot less than $2000!

To save you all some time, if you are worried about the status of your batteries, please send your robot to ABSJ (0) before performing your Service Shutdown. It may not save your boot image, but you can be assured that your robot is in it's proper calibration position (if it is not you have bigger problems) when you are ready to get up and going again.

Cheers, and thanks again to this wonderful community of professionals and the great wealth of knowledge you are all willing to share with others as they grow into their robotics careers! :beerchug:

Kindest regards,

Elderwild :winking_face:

• The function of the controller battery pack works like a UPS to provide voltage to the CPU long enough to obtain an image backup after power is removed. Once the image is saved to the 'harddrive', the battery pack is no longer needed. Doing the shutdown in the Service menu creates an image with the controller on, circumventing the power down battery imaging and should have given you a good image. With that said, an image can be corrupted by a harddrive issue, allowing the controller to almost complete booting and then turning off power, turning off power multiple times not allowing a weak battery to charge, etc.

The procedure for deleting the image.bin file is documented on this forum and the difficulty level depends on your experience with using communication software. It's harder to gain this experience in today plug-n-play world.

Whenever you are unsure of the SMB battery pack, moving the robot to cal position before powering down is a good choice to save time if the rev. counters happen to need updating.

• Thanks for confirming that. I thought the image should have been good as well based on how I told them to shut down. I am not saying that they followed all the directions to a T, but they said they did. I guess I'm curious to know how we were able to fix and boot back up if there was a problem with the "hard drive"? Which leads to the second question, Should I be worried about this happening at the next shut down? ... and the Third... Is there anything I can check to see if it is working properly?

• For me, most corruptions are tied to 2 issues regarding shutdown:

1 Shutdown interrupted by powering back on before imaging process is completed.

2 Weak battery pack not giving enough time to complete image process.

After that, it could be almost anything. My preference is to blame decaying particles from a distant supernova flipping a random bit.

You have a new battery pack, I would do a backup, then a Service menu shutdown to get a good image, then reboot. Should be fine. After getting a good Service shutdown, then do a power down and watch the lights on the CPU and make sure the harddrive light flashes for 8-15 seconds and then stops. I always wait for the CPU LEDs to turn off before powering down.

Appreciate your desire to stay ahead of a possible issue but until it can be pinpointed, you're only guessing at a problem that may not exist. You've learned a lot and "IF" it happens again, I think you can follow the instructions on the forum and do it yourself.

Advertising from our partners