Mechanical axis limitation KUKA

• Hi guys, i wanted to ask you if someone has experience with axis limitation on KUKA Robots.

The thing is, we need to limitate the Axis 1 limit with a mechanical stop. I know from the manual that's posible in some Kuka Robots. I was told that in the model we are using (KR 470-2PA) it is.

But i can't find useful information about how to install it or how to limitate the range of the axis 1 (by software) once the mechanical stop is installed.

Thanks!

• .. But i can't find useful information about how to install it or how to limitate the range of the axis 1 (by software) once the mechanical stop is installed

Where did you search? You can find all relevant documentations on Kuka Xpert.

There should exist a manual for installing end stops.

Software end stops are in variable $softn_end[1],and $softp_end[1]

• Where did you search? You can find all relevant documentations on Kuka Xpert.

There should exist a manual for installing end stops.

Software end stops are in variable $softn_end[1],and $softp_end[1]

Thanks! i found some information in KUKA Xpert.

• The thing is, we need to limitate the Axis 1 limit with a mechanical stop. I know from the manual that's posible in some Kuka Robots. I was told that in the model we are using (KR 470-2PA) it is.

But i can't find useful information about how to install it or how to limitate the range of the axis 1 (by software) once the mechanical stop is installed.

mechanical stops are hardware options that get bolted onto the robot arm. for your robot refer to manual:

KUKA Xpert
    Knowledge Database
    xpert.kuka.com

notice that same hardware can be used on couple of robots since relevant part of the arm is the same (rotating column etc.).

software limits can be updated in WoV project or directly on teach pendant using menu Start-Up>Service>Software limit switch.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The hard stops vary between different robot models. Some models no longer have mounting points for hard stops. But for a KR470, if it supports hard stops for A1, it's between the base casting (part 6) and the A1 casting/rotating column (Part 7)

Normally, on the back of the rotating column, there is a metal tab with a black rubber bumper on each side. These bumpers engage a sliding block mounted in the base frame. The sliding block allows the factory-default hard stop to limit A1 to +/- 180 degrees.

You can check this fairly easily be removing the black sheet metal shroud around the base frame casting. There's a large flexible cable conduit inside, with a coating of grease, so be prepared for that. But the shroud isn't hard to remove or replace, it just takes some care.

On the underside of the rotating column, there should be a mounting surface with bolt holes where an additional hard stop can be mounted. The new hard stop will mount in such a way that it engages the same sliding block in the base frame as the "default" hard stop. The mounting surface may be part of the A1 ring bearing, and require removing specific bolts from the bearing, and replacing them with longer bolts (which should come with the hard stop kit ) that hold the hard stop to the bearing, and the bearing to the rotating column.

If you want to limit A1 in both directions, you will need two hard stops.

The A1 hard stops only mount at specific degrees, limited by the bolt pattern. It's easy to create a situation where the robot needs to move A1 to, for example, 77deg, but the hard stops can only be bolted in locations to limit the robot to 70deg or 80deg, nothing in between. You may need to adjust your cell layout if this becomes in issue.

Advertising from our partners