KRC4 Safe Operation Reference Switch and Proximity Sensor

• Hi All,

Is there a direct way to monitor the status of the Proximity Switches (part of the KRC4 Safe Operation Reference Switch).without running the Safe Operation programs?

I am assuming the 2 proximity switches must be mapped somewhere to the internal Kuka I/O. I have searched on the TP and Work Visual with no luck.

We have Kuka KRC4 controllers with the option package Safe Operation 3.x installed.

Controllers are KRC4 8.3.x

There is only one Reference Switch connected through X42 to the CCU.

I have examined MasRef_Main.SRC, MasRef_User.SRC and can't seem to find an I/O reference for the 'proximity switch status'.

I see there is a Safe Operation $MASTERINGTEST_SWITCH_OK variable but that's just the condition of the Reference Switch and not the two individual proximity switches.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

• when switch is connected to PLC, one can simply read status of the JR bit.

not sure about it when switch is on X42.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I have examined MasRef_Main.SRC, MasRef_User.SRC and can't seem to find an I/O reference for the 'proximity switch status'.

There isn't one. The MasRef switch isn't mapped to a normal I/O signal, it's wired directly into the safety module (when connected directly on X42). It is, IIRC, possible to see the individual contacts in the SafeOp signal monitor on the pendant, but I'm not aware of any system variable that would allow you to monitor them programatically.

What are you trying to accomplish?

• Hi Panic Mode and Skyefire,

What are you trying to accomplish?

What I am trying to do is find a quick way to see the status of the proximity switch by simply placing a piece of steel over the proximity sensors and checking their status on the KRC4 Smart Pad.

• Mastering reference switch does not connect to SIB. It connects to CCU, more specifically to CIB (CCU=CIB+PBM). so if there is a live status, it will be in diagnostic monitor for CIB and it will refer to JR.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I have tried using the diagnostic monitor see SafeOperation_1.bmp and SafeOperation_3.bmp but can't seem to get a real-time result when placing the steel piece over the proximity sensors.

Please note there is no SIB in this unit.

I also struggle sometimes with the German references in my notes.

Mastering reference switch does not connect to SIB. It connects to CCU, more specifically to CIB (CCU=CIB+PBM). so if there is a live status, it will be in diagnostic monitor for CIB and it will refer to JR.

Thanks. I know the reference switch doesn't connect to SIB - just mentioned that for background. I'll look at the JR bit. Thanks

• Through the CCU (CIB).

Do you mean, it's connected directly to the KRC through the X42 connector?

But I see panic mode suggests monitoring the JR bit - I'll have a look at it.

AFAIK, that's only relevant when the MasRef switch is connected to a Safety PLC, and the Safety PLC program passes the MasRef contact signals to the KRC via the JR bit.

• Do you mean, it's connected directly to the KRC through the X42 connector?

AFAIK, that's only relevant when the MasRef switch is connected to a Safety PLC, and the Safety PLC program passes the MasRef contact signals to the KRC via the JR bit.

Yes - I understood the JR bit was only relevant to a PLC. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes - the Reference Switch is connected directly to the KRC through the X42 to the CCU.

Advertising from our partners