Stopping distance with a 7th axis robot (Kuka & General)

• Hello,

I have a little question and hope someone can help me.

The Situation:

I have to simulate/plan the stopping distance of a Kuka-Robot which is with its bottom on a 7th axis.

The Robot itself is no problem with the specification but the linear unit is a little bit more complicated...

The engine of the linear unit is from Kuka but the other parts are from a other manufacturer.

I have an actual Backup and the safety-data in WorkVisual.

Do you have any idea how it is posssible for me to calculate the stopping distances or to find out about them in another way?

Is there a way to find this information in WorkVisual?

I am very grateful for any kind of help or idea how I can solve this problem.

Have a nice day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• Certainly not in WorkVisual. Stopping Distance depends on:

1. What type of stop?
    2. Mass of the robot and shuttle
      1. inertia of same
    3. Stopping from what speed?
    4. mechanical Max speed of:
      1. The motor
      2. the gearbox
      3. the shuttle linear motion
    5. Does the linear axis have secondary braking?
  • Thank for your replay

Certainly not in WorkVisual. Stopping Distance depends on:

1. What type of stop?
    2. Mass of the robot and shuttle
      1. inertia of same
    3. Stopping from what speed?
    4. mechanical Max speed of:
      1. The motor
      2. the gearbox
      3. the shuttle linear motion
    5. Does the linear axis have secondary braking?

First thanks for your reply!

At this moment I have not the right informations to answer your questions but that sounds like you know a formula or something like that ... even it´s only a approximate value ?

1. Type: category 0

• 1. Type: category 0

So, an E-Stop stop, not a programmed stop.

No, there's no "generic" formula for this. You essentially need a physics simulation, or a mechanical designer who can determine the stopping distance. For example, a Stop 0 slams the motor brakes shut, but if that destroys the drive shaft between the motor and the shuttle, then the shuttle will just drift to a stop.

You may have to use SafeOperation to limit the speed of the shuttle to something manageable.

If the robot's carried payload changes, that will also potentially effect the shuttle stopping distance.

• Btw on KUKA controllers programmed stop is Stop2, system tripped by functional safety circuit triggers Stop1, Malfunctions trigger Stop0. Some other robot brands only do Stop2 and Stop0.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners