KRC4 controller with Profisafe

• Overall Goal:

- Commission cell for robotic milling in my wood shop. If you are interested to see what type of work I do, check it out here.

Hardware and Software:

- Controller: KRC4 8.2.28 (purchased second hand from Mercedes with unique safety setup using Profinet 2.2)

- Robot: KR 210 R 3100 Ultra floor (Purchased second hand separately from controller.)

- PLC: S7 1212 FC DC/DC/DC

- Software: Work Visual 6, STEP 7 Basic TIA Portal V17 with Safety Basic

Reference Documents:

- KRC4 PROFINET 2.2 (Page 14, Section 5.3, "Making GSDML files available for configuring with WorkVisual") Link to document

- KUKA.SafeOperation 3.1 (Currently studying) Link to document

Specific Goal For Questions Below:

- Configure Siemens S7 1212FC PLC as Profisafe device in WorkVisual.

Context for Questions:

- According to the first reference document noted above, I must import a GSDML file into WorkVisual so that I can configure the device, in my case the device is the S7 1212FC. The procedure for "configuration with WorkVisual" says that the GSDML file must be obtained from the manufacturer of the device, in this case Siemens. I searched the Siemens online documentation to find GSDML files for the S7 1212FC and found an article instead of explicit GSDML files for downloading. Link to Siemens FAQ.

Question 1:

- Are the instructions listed in the Siemens FAQ the appropriate and /or correct method for configuring and generating a GSDML file for the S7 1212FC for use in WorkVisual?

Question 2:

- Will setting the S7 1212FC as an "IO device" in TIA Portal V17 cause it to be recognized as the "KRC4 Safety Interface via PROFIsafe" or just a "typical" PLC "IO device"?

Question 3:

- What differentiates the PROFIsafe PLC from the Profinet "non-safe" IO in WorkVisual?

Thank you in advance for any further clarification and/or insights.

Regards,

Benjamin Bigler

• If your robot has X11 interface and the KUKA option is Profinet M/S (as opposed to ProfiNet -/S), then you can make PLC a device...

But this is not going to be the case for robot that was at Mercedes. Robots there are devices, ProfiNet is device only as PLC is the master anyway. So you need to import into step7 software GSDML for KRC, and configure PLC as ProfiNet master.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• You are exactly correct; my KRC4 does not have an X11 interface.

STEP 7 (TIA Portal V17):

I was able to import the KUKA gsdml for KRC into STEP 7 and connect the S7 1212FC PLC module to the KRC gsdml. Conveniently, the kuka gsdml files were readily available in the downloaded WorkVisual 6.0 installer files. KUKA provided many gsdml files located locally on my computer.

KUKA GSDML FILE LOCATION:

-C:\Program Files (x86)\KUKA\WorkVisual 6.0\DeviceDescriptions\GSDML

WorkVisual 6.0:

Unlike KUKA, apparently Siemens does not have "pre-made" gsdml files for the S7 1212fc. I have to generate a gsdml file from within Step 7. However, in order to generate a gsdml of the S7 1212fc, I have to enable the "IO device" button located in the module properties. Once I create and save the gsdml file of the S7 1212fc to a known folder location, I can then follow the steps outlined in the KRC4 Profinet 2.2 document that reads as follows:

Question:

Is enabling the S7 1212fc to be an "IO device" the correct thing to do as a part of configuring it to be the Profinet master? Please see screen shot of my STEP 7 (Properties, Operating Mode, IO Device) for reference:

Regards,

Benjamin Bigler

• Thank you hermann and panic mode.

I will give this all a try tomorrow when I am back at my wood shop and can connect to the KRC4. Hopefully I can get the message ("KSS15008" Profisafe communication error) to clear with the help you both have provided to get me on the right path.

I really appreciate the input and will report my progress.

Regards,

Benjamin Bigler

• PLC as Profinet master also known as IO Controller. Robot is IO device and on your scenario PLC should be in IO Controller Mode.

Other steps:

- You should be check Profisafe address on each side. Robot profisafe address can be set on Workvisual Profinet settings and Safety Related Settings pages.

- You must be use ACK_GL function on PLC. Profisafe communication failures can only be reset by this function. Without acknowledge robot always show Profisafe Communication Error.

-You can try other "compatible modes" for example "8.2, Profinet 2.2" on Workvisual profinet settings page.

• M.Ozkan,

Excellent tips regarding the other steps you have listed, especially the use of ACK_GL function to reset the Profisafe Communication error.

I hope to have something positive to report in the coming day or so.

Regards,

Benjamin Bigler

Advertising from our partners