Set up CIP Safety (Ethernet/IP) communication between KR C4 and Schneider M580 safety PLC

• Hello everyone,

We have a brand new KR C4 controller which is to be set up to communicate with a Schneider M580 safety PLC using CIP Safety over Ethernet/IP. We have no prior experience with this.

On the PLC side, it seemed easy enough to set up KR C4 as a DDDT using the DTM browser.

However, the Kuka manuals on Ethernet/IP and CIP Safety are not too clear.

Is there a specific set of manuals we should be following? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

• What kind of KRC4? What is the currently active safety interface on that KRC4? Does KRC4 have Ethernet/IP installed? What kind? Does it have KOP file? If yes, KOP file need to be integrated into WorkVisual (btw same applies to all KOPs).

i would recommend to:

1. make backup (archive, KRCDiag, as well as HDD image). collecting HDD image requires KUKA USB Recovery Stick. it is an option that not everyone buys when getting new robot.

2. have EIP installed. this part is version specific.

3. take working project from KRC. Save it... then save it again with new name.

4. If KRC already has another safety interface, it need to be deactivated. Depending on KRC version that may be software change only or both hardware and software.

5. Modify WoV project according to your network setup. Beware that there are reserved network address ranges. do not use them or if you do - you better have good image and USB Recovery Stick or it is going to be expensive.

6. Deploy and activate new project

7. Activate new safety configuration

at this point, robot side is done (assuming everything went well). the bigger problem is the PLC since this is not type of PLC that KUKA recommends for this and i doubt that anyone else has already used it for CIP Safety with KRC4 so ... you will be on your own.

you need to get key manuals as suggested in pinned topic READ FIRST. Safety signals mapping is documented in manual for SafeOperation (even if you do not have or use SafeOperation). Basically SafeOperation is an extension that adds more functions and interface signals to robot safety. Without SafeOepration you still get Basic safety which is first 2 bytes of safety signals.

Once you have added EDS for KRC4, you need to create safety task and in that task you need to program safety logic. That includes writing code also for reserved bits in the interface since they need to be held as logic 1 state by the PLC safety task.

Good luck

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• What kind of KRC4?

I'm assuming you're referring to the KSS version. We have KSS 8.6.8.

What is the currently active safety interface on that KRC4?

Currently, there is no active safety interface on it, although we requested a configuration for CIP Safety over Ethernet/IP. We want to set up the interface.

Does KRC4 have Ethernet/IP installed? What kind?

Yes, it seems to have Ethernet/IP installed (it shows up in Kuka-configured project loaded from KRC4 on WoV). M/S 4.1 rev 3

Does it have KOP file? If yes, KOP file need to be integrated into WorkVisual (btw same applies to all KOPs).

Sorry, what is KOP file?

I did contact Kuka Customer Support, and they sent a couple document files. I'll have to follow through the instructions and see if it works out.

I might come back here for more tips :smiling_face:

Thanks!

• I'm assuming you're referring to the KSS version. We have KSS 8.6.8.

why would you assume that?

KSS = Kuka System Software

KRC = Kuka Robot controller

KSS is piece of software that runs on KRC.

KRC is piece of hardware and several variants exist.

Currently, there is no active safety interface on it, although we requested a configuration for CIP Safety over Ethernet/IP. We want to set up the interface.

Safety interface is only preconfigured from the factory if it is a hardware safety interface (X11 or X11+X13). some controller variants may include X11 interface all the time.

When you order new robot that uses network based safety, no safety interface is configured. You need to use WorkVisual to create it.

Sorry, what is KOP file?

what is a TXT file? what is a PDF file?

the same naming convention is used for all files and KOP is no different - it gets the name from file name extension (KOP = Kuka Option Package). it is a container file with various degrees of complexity since not all KOP files are equal.

usually they are used to:

a) install some software on KRC

b) install configuration option on your computer (this is what integration of KOP files into WorkVisual is for)

since you need to transfer project from and to KRC, you need WorkVisual.

and if you want the transfers to KRC to work, you better make sure that KOP files you find on robot D: are integrated into WorkVisual on your PC or things can go sideways. Not all options have KOP files. in fact early versions of EtherentIP did not have it either. But things change.

So before you do anything, i would recommend to get familiar with things and pay attention to pitfalls. Check pinned topic READ FIRST for more info.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Our KRC version is KRC4 NA UL SC5.1 X14B/X14B2 X17A-C X51

We copied the KOP files from the controller (KCP) and tried adding the one for EIP V 4.1.4 (the version we purchased). We see the documentation on the right side in WoV.

But we can't seem to be able to add EIP V4.1.4 to the Bus structure. We can only add the default EIP V1.4.3 and configure it. (see attachment).

• Yes, it seems to have Ethernet/IP installed (it shows up in Kuka-configured project loaded from KRC4 on WoV). M/S 4.1 rev 3

In your Screenshot you have 1.4.3 and 4.1.4. Have a look into the help screen on the smartpad where the options are listed.

Wouldn't give that much on those numbers, may be Kuka have some kind mixing up the numbers.

Installing the KOP files in many cases is not necessary, may be it will work anyway.

• version you see in the orange header is version of EIP configuration file

version you see under Options is the KOP version. they are not necessarily the same and that is ok.

if there is a problem with a bus (does not work or fail to configure) simply delete the EIP bus from bus structures then add it again. this will ensure that it uses the current version. an example of bus problems is when it was imported from partial project that was created with different WoV/EIP version, etc.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners