Tool Frame settings and Z axis rotation

• Hi guys!

Your advices and recommendations will be highly appreciated. The post become quite long so please bear with me.

On my robot, I have gripper as the one attached. Here are my issues/doubts.

The gripper is attached on fastchanger. How to put this? I see that when I place the gripper in home position, the current position value for R (rotation over Z axis) is 105 degrees, which means that there is some turn around J6 at the beginning (not realize this at the beginning). Please see attached Roboguide picture.

I did some programming and experiments, also teach some points into position registers. Now I realize that my tool frame:

- Z axis points down

- X axis points right (when you are at the robot’s back) – also as you can expects it is not parallel to UF X axis, but rotate some degree clockwise

- Y axis points away, when you are at the robot’s back) – also as you can expects it is not parallel to UF Y axis, but rotate some degree clockwise

Here are my questions:

- How to make tool frame first setting (Three point method), when having a gripper as mine? I am afraid about pneumatic pipes and cables, when I need to turn the gripper!

- What are you recommendation regarding the position of Tool Frame axis? In YouTube as see example, where Tool Frame orientation is the same as User Frame and also examples where Z axis is pointing down. The reason for the lather is when you approaching to the point, your Z coordinates to be positive. I bother a lot, because I use Tool_Offset a lot in my programs and find it very useful.

- It is important, when I turn the gripper around Z axis at some angle (90 or 180 degrees) to return it back, but in opposite direction, because of the cables and pipes attached to the gripper. It turns out that depending of the motion type (J or L) of motion instruction, the rotation in one direction is fine, but when I try to return gripper in start position, it continue to rotate clockwise but not counterclockwise as I needed. What are the rules, which control the direction of rotation of the J6 axis?

- Regarding the previous question, the rotation is according the Z axis of tool frame selected, when I use Tool_Offset for rotation – right?

Best reagrds,

Yolov

• Can you post a picture of the tool, I'm not downloading any Zip files.

It sounds like your tool is mounted with a rotation due to the toolchanger.

Teach your 3 point, then go into direct entry, and add your angle to align your tool as desired

• Sure, on the tip of those hooks in open state, for example.

Or at those side track, where the part gets aligned (light blue).

It depends also a bit on the part itself and where the part is picked and placed.

As a rule of thumb: align your tool frame in that manner, that it is easy to jog and easy to teach positions.

For the cable and pneumatics, make sure that your axis movements in 6 and 4 stay minimal and there shouldn't be too much problems. You can do that by checking your configuration. FUT 000 or NUT 000 is mostly seen. This needs some testing.

Edited 4 times, last by Eric ().

• Hi,

because my J6 is turned at some angle (I suppose 105 degrees), can you advise (taking into account the type of the gripper) me, how to configure the tool frame, in order that coordinate system to be oriented the same way as the user frame? Should I use Six Point (XY) or Six Point (XZ)?

My user frame is oriented as the WORLD (it is located on the robot right, a little back (standing behind the robot).

Regards,

Yolov

• Yeah basically Six Point. The way that you align it with user frame, wherever that is. User frame is stationary though. Your tool frame is moveable, so I quite don't understand what exactly you want to achieve.

• OK, I will try to explain.

Let say that I configured UF1. The orientation of UF1 is the same as WORLD coordinate system, but it is placed on robot right (if you are behind the robot). Please have a look on attached picture.

Next I must configure Tool frame 1. As I explain my J6 (because of the fast changer) is turned at some angle.

Can you advise me with the gripper as mine, how to make Six Point (XY) procedure in order to set TCP and TF orientation?

I am feel a little bit uneasy because:

- My gripper do not have a point, which I can move to vertex in order to make first part of TF configuration

- I want to orient tool frame in the same way as User Frame (see attached picture). How to make sure that the gripper is oriented in the same way?

I hope that my uneasiness are clear now :smiling_face: .

regards,

Yolov

• Ask yourself how the gripper exactly is properly aligned, then use those edges or corners as points for the 6point method. It looks like the bottom plate of the gripper is aligned with the boxes you want to grip.

First 4 points on a corner and then point 5-6 to adjacent corners.

Advertising from our partners