Problem with tool change in safemove??

• Hi Everyone.

I have a existing ABB 8700 robot, which I have to equip with a tool change system.

I have made all the changes to my Safe Zones, and created 2 tools, and a “Tool” to use when I have no tool mounted.

To activate my tools, I need a activation signal, which I have created in “Safe IO Configuration” under global signals (There is no ProfiSafe on the robot). My problem is that I cannot manipulated the 3 “Global safety” signals from rapid code, not even if I try to manipulate by making a cross reference with a “normal” output signal.

I have read the manual, and I know the manual says that “Global Signals” is only for feedback to be read by Rapid.

Is there another way for Safemove to read signal from rapid, so I can change the active tool in Safemove, or do I need Profisafe Option to do this ??

• Is there another way for Safemove to read signal from rapid, so I can change the active tool in Safemove, ..

Changing the safe tool by rapid wouldn't be safe, so there may not exist any way to change the safe tool by rapid. You always need some safety interface to change the active safe tool.

• Changing the safe tool by rapid wouldn't be safe, so there may not exist any way to change the safe tool by rapid. You always need some safety interface to change the active safe tool.

True..

But how would safemove know which tool that is phycically mounted on the robot? It could be a crossreference from a signal i get from each tool, but that still doesnt work?

I could change the question to - How do i tell Safemove, which tool is active??

Edited once, last by KK_Robotics: Changed the question ().

• But how would safemove know which tool that is phycically mounted on the robot?

Common problem. You need a safe signal, f.e. different safe switches on the tool change system that are switched by the attached tool, then a safe connection of those switches to the safe inputs that change the safe tool (normally done by a safe PLC).

Great expense for mental little effort, but it has to be safe, as it can safe lifes.

Easiest way is (if possible) to use biggest possible tool in safe config, and forget about switching the tool.

Advertising from our partners