KUKA SmartHMI closes - How do I restart it?

• UPDATE:

As pointed out by SBDP_4.0 you could use C:\KRC\SmartHMI\SmartHMI.exe to restart the software.

------------------------------------------------

I've got a strange problem on two of the eight robots I have at a clients warehouse.

The SmartPAD would suddenly close or crash the SmartHMI and just leave me with the bare Windows 10 desktop.

Q: Is it possible to boot the SmartHMI again, from the Windows desktop, without restarting the controller?

A: Yes, see update above this.

I've tried unplugging the SmartPAD by pressing the top button and pulling out the cable leaving it for 2 min., but it just boots up with the same screen as attached.

KRC4

KSS 8.6 & 8.7 (Two different robots, running almost same setup.)

• KRC model? KSS version?

The SmartPad isn't crashing, the actual KUKA HMI in the robot controller is. To confirm this, plug a DVI monitor directly into the motherboard of the KRC.

The SmartPad is just running WinCE (or Windows Mobile, or whatever Microsoft changed the name to) in order to run a Remote Desktop session as a "thin client" to the main computer inside the KRC cabinet.

If the KUKA HMI is crashing, this suggests something quite wrong with that robot. I recommend taking a KRCDiag and sending the results to KUKA Tech Support.

• I have that issue regularly since KSS 8.5. I contacted Kuka about it and they are aware of the bug but apparently still not resolved.

You can restart the SmartHMI from running SmartHMI.exe located in C:\KRC\SmartHMI.

• I was by the impression that the SmartPAD was a PC in itself that just had "TAGS" it mirrored from the controller, and would restart when loosing power.

As the robot controller is it's own PC it is running normally without the GUI on the SmartPAD.

ahem.... not exactly....

KPC is a type of industrial PC running its own version of windows. this PC is located inside the KRC. And KPCs is where the HMI application (called smartHMI) resides and runs. This is why you can see HMI using external monitor for example. You can see and use the application even without smartPad connected because smartPad is peripheral node. if the smartHMI is minimized or not running, you can see the desktop of the KPC. You can also use own PC to RDP into KCP and see the same thing. But thanks to some other hardware in smartPad (safety node), smartPad is able to change mode and enable drives if using teach mode - that is something you cannot do using jusr external monitor and mouse or using own computer that connects to KPC via RDP.

smartPad is a separate product, it is a handheld computer attached to KRC via cable. It is running its own version of Windows and own application. that application is not the smartHMI you see on KPC. it has own menu and own functionality (change mode, calibrate touchscreen, calibrate 6D mouse...). Once smartPad connects to controller, it displays image (a remote desktop) of whatever is running on the KPC. unplugging and reconnecting smartPad restarts the smartPad hardware and the smartPad application. but this has no effect on smartHMI that runs on KPC. if the KPC boots but smartHMI is not running, only the local desktop is displayed (KPC desktop). And that is all that smartPad can display when it makes connection to KRC. smartPad does not "read the tags and displays own screen", it actually display copy of the screen as it is shown on the KPC.

Please keep in mind that developers at KUKA do not get the feedback about issues straight from you. There is a layered structure so information they get can be ... 'lost in translation'. Other layers will try to solve the problem with the client, if that does not work, they will pass it on to another level and so on. But title of this very topic is misleading. From what i can tell, it is not the necessarily the smartPad that crashed, in fact chances are that this has nothing to do with the smartPad. Using correct way to describe situation can have dramatic effect on what those trying to help you understand. And if they don't, message that reaches developer could lose meaning or be misinterpreted. In that happens it is likely that solution or bugfix ma not be available for some time...

You can restart the SmartHMI from running SmartHMI.exe located in C:\KRC\SmartHMI.

That is correct.. although depending on real reason that may not work every time. Which is why one should do as SkyeFire suggested - use external monitor, get fresh KRCdiag and send it to KUKA.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• KRC4
    KSS 8.6 & KSS 8.7 (I have had two system do this)

I will make a KRCDiag when possible and send it to KUKA support.

I have that issue regularly since KSS 8.5. I contacted Kuka about it and they are aware of the bug but apparently still not resolved.

Thanks. I'll try that next time, if it happens again.

But I did manage to find StartKRC.exe that did the same thing 10 min. after I created this thread.

I'm unsure which one of the two is the correct way to do it.

Thanks for the description.

As for your last paragraph regarding feedback, I'll try to update this topic, and when I contact KUKA I will have a better understanding of the terms.

It was difficult for me to describe my issue

//Hammer

• MHammer

Changed the title of the thread from “KUKA SmartPAD 2 "crashed"” to “KUKA SmartHMI closes - How do I restart it?”.

Advertising from our partners