20kgs payload on 230V three-phase

• I see several robot manufacturers offer controllers that can run on a domestic electricity supply.

For example the Kuka KR C4 Compact can run low payload Kukas, and it seems the highest payload on offer with that controller is 10kgs.

Also Yaskawa offer the YRC1000micro, which can run their GP7 and GP8, so 8kgs is the limit there.

From there it seems there's a huge jump up to around 400V which will run anything.

But what about the possibilities in between?

I've got a 'B1' three-phase power supply in the building I live in, which is 230V, and I really need between 16kgs and 20kgs payload.

Is there any way to leverage the 230V supply to be able to use a 16kgs or 20kgs payload robot at home?

My interest is 3D Printing, so slow movements and low dynamic forces.

Surely someone offers a solution already or there must be an acceptable work-around, such as using digital phase converters? :thinking_face:

• Why do you need 20kg payload for 3D printing?

digital phase converters that are powered by single phase are available but the power output is limited (as expected). what is the power that you need? 230VAC is voltage. to get power, you also need to know how much current you can draw from such source. you may have better luck with rotary phase converters as they are available for larger power (assuming your source can deliver...).

The other option is to make your own robot. It could be 3-axis Cartesian as is commonly used in 3D printers and CNCs. I am thinking something like LongMill MK2. Just need Z axis that has longer travel.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Since you have 3 phase already, you don't need a phase converter. This is what transformers are for. A three phase step up transformer (or even a step down, wired in reverse (I did this)) will work. Just make sure you get one with the appropriate kVA rating. A used transformer will run about $500-$1000.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• And keep in mind that the KVA will be the same on both sides of the transformer. So the current draw on the 200V side will be double that of the 400V side. So if the robot needs 20A at 400V, your 200V mains supply will need to support 40A (to a first approximation).

• yup. missed the part that 3-phase is already available. ..

transformer will do as long as your 3-phase supply can handle the load. you can use larger transformer than necessary so if opportunity or good deal presents itself,.. cannot be smaller than load. wiring transformer in reverse works for voltages but keep in mind that robot manufacture may expect certain configuration such as same voltage on each phase relative to GND. Normally secondary wired in wye configuration is what one is after.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Have you had a look at Kawasaki E0x, F60 and F0x Controllers?

You may find their range offering fits in with your requirements for your payload requirements.

In fact the F60 version you can get a single phase offering with a 13 Kg payload arm.

• Have you had a look at Kawasaki E0x, F60 and F0x Controllers?

You may find their range offering fits in with your requirements for your payload requirements.

In fact the F60 version you can get a single phase offering with a 13 Kg payload arm.

I am looking at doing the same thing as the OP and I thought the same thing. I am actually considering the Kawasaki 10 KG and 13 KG R series options .

Chris, what 3D printing head are you trying to use that is that heavy? I am guessing the Massive Dimension MD10?

Advertising from our partners