Looking for a fair sized tracked vehicle chassis

• My first post to the robotics forum. I am an older but still current/functioning Electronics Engineer. I'm probably way older than those that mostly post here so please have patience.

I am looking for a tracked chassis that is somewhat more powerful than those that would carry an Raspberry pi with a single 9V battery. I have a Xilinx zcu104 board as well as an ultra-96 and, yes, a Raspberry pi. My power requirements would mean that I would have to carry a substantial battery pack as well as the boards themselves, and a camera, etc.

I have the software and mathematical knowledge to make the image processing portion of the design work. Have not used ROS yet but that seems like a good place to start for the tracker control.

Can someone recommend a tracked chassis that is more substantial than a "toy" that I might find on Amazon but certainly is not industrial A couple of hundred dollars for a motorized chassis powerful enough to carry a fair battery pack (not chosen yet) and the PCB hardware needed for the control

Thank You

Tom

• without numbers it is anyone's guess...

what size of tracks we are talking about (LxWxH)? what rated payload? What is expected travel speed what is the battery pack voltage?

[Hot Item] Tracked Chassis with 200kg Load Bearing for Robot Customization
    Type: Crawler Application: Small Robot Certification: ISO9001: 2000 Condition: New Length: 900mm Width: 600mm
    puyitracks.en.made-in-china.com

500kg Payload Crawler Rubber Chassis Heavy Duty Track Robot - Buy Heavy Duty Track Robot,Tarcked Chassis,Robot Chassis Product on Alibaba.com
    500kg Payload Crawler Rubber Chassis Heavy Duty Track Robot , Find Complete Details about 500kg Payload Crawler Rubber Chassis Heavy Duty Track Robot,Heavy…
    www.alibaba.com

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Panic Mode,

Thank you for your reply. Evidently I need to be more specific. Truthfully, I don't really need a tracked chassis for my demo. Any wheeled chassis of sufficient size will do. Having looked at various chassis that are like "toys" (and I don't want to insult anyone here), they were very light duty as one would expect for something that carried a nine volt batter pack and an Arduino.

What I really am looking for is a selection. I need to carry a zcu104, an ULTRA96 and a Raspberry pi. Yes, I know that is quite a load. Yes, I know that the power requirements are heavy and for autonomous operation which means that the first version of this robot will be attached via cable to power. Power and autonomous behavior are not my primary concerns on stage one so I don't need to account for battery size or weight. My primary development is for machine vision and movement based on object detection.

Thank You

Tom :smiling_face:

• well, from an engineer to an engineer, why not define requirements in a more conventional way? that is what numbers are for (size, payload...).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Panic Mode,

Thank you again for your response. I did find a larger platform to work with on Amazon and I think that I am going to purchase it for $200 USD. The specifications state a weight max of 10-15 KG, which seems high but that gives me an upper limit for the weight on the project.

Again, thank you for your help.

Tom

Advertising from our partners