How to calculate the annual energy consumption of robots

• Hello, community,

:help: I need to calculate how much energy will consume 2 robots for 1 year:

1.YASKAWA MPX2600 - 26280kw/year (please check is right this data is)

2.KUKA KR150 R3100-2 (I can't find this information on KUKA Xpert)

Thanks in advance!

• there is no good or simple way to calculate... same robot could be working on something slow, few hours a week, OR it could be fast pace press transfer. speed (acceleration) makes huge difference. optimization of program and fluidity of motions also makes difference. payload and supplementary load make a difference. programmed paths make a difference....

for example consider same program, same robot, same payload, same path and just running at 50% speed instead of 100% speed makes current draw or power consumption go down by about 70%. It is a square relationship so theoretically it would be 75% (1/4) but there is some overhead....

Next there are external axes etc.

rough estimate is to see how the controller is powered and what the bottle neck is. in case of NA version of controllers one can relate that limit to included transformer (8kVA or for largest units 13kVA).

assuming utilization based on process and number of working hours per year, one can get that estimate. real value would be to actually run robot and measure consumption. As mentioned this would be different for each robot that is used differently (even if the robot is the same).

someone running robot around the clock for say 7000h a year where utilization is 60% and rated power is 8kVA would end up at some 33600kWh. but if programmed speeds are only 75% then that number would be 18900kWh. similarly one would need to assume other variations (load, etc.)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• As SkyeFire and panic mode have eluded to, this is not a simple question, although the person asking you may think differently😉

Fanuc has a pretty display screen under the status menu that shows power consumption. I think they added it right around the same time they began offering their power regen option...

I haven't looked into it, but it may offer a power consumption meter. At the least, there's got to be a system variable associated with it that could be tracked.

Maybe non-yellow robots offer a similar feature.

• KUKA does offer energy monitoring on KRC4, but I have never looked into it or used it. My guess was that question was asked since robot is considered for purchase and not yet available. If one has the robot and it is running some program, one can easily hang a clamp meter on one (or all) phases and see current draw - power is easily computed from that even if device does not offer own means to monitor power or energy... On KRC one should also be able to do that just by using Trace tool that is part of the KSS

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• KUKA does offer energy monitoring on KRC4, but I have never looked into it or used it. My guess was that question was asked since robot is considered for purchase and not yet available. If one has the robot and it is running some program, one can easily hang a clamp meter on one (or all) phases and see current draw - power is easily computed from that even if device does not offer own means to monitor power or energy... On KRC one should also be able to do that just by using Trace tool that is part of the KSS

Now, we are only considering the concept of robotics and calculating the costs. It would be great to get the average and maximum value of the robot consumption for approximate calculations.

Advertising from our partners