Why is a newly created calibrated BASE upside down?

• Hi,

KSS 8.5

I am starting to work with different BASE systems and shifting frames for palletizing. So far I have managed to avoid using different BASES, I have just calculated new coordinates for the next part to pick and everything was in WORLD coordinates.

Now I have a project where using BASES makes sense.

However when I create a new base using "calibrate" with the 3-point method (touch up the origin, the X axis and the XY plane) the Z axis is pointed downwards. :upside_down_face:

This annoys me because the approach positions for picking are meant to be above the surface... so the Z value should be higher when I go up.

It is illogical to have the approach point at -100mm, this creates many opportunites for typos and crashes.

At first I thought this is dependent on the tool I use to teach this base. If the tool has its Z the other way around, than so might be with the base. But this was not true. I tried both ways and still the C angle was 180 degrees, therefor flipped.

I thought that if I dont mess with the angles myself and use a calibrated tool and a calibrated base using that tool, everything would be as standardized as possible.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Simple answer Yes probably, Now to figure out where it is going wrong you have to check the steps that you follow during measurement.

Step 1. select tool for measurement (tool should be accurately measured for good base measurement)

Step 2. Move to origin of Coordinate system or simply the 0 position of the base you are trying to create.

Step 3. Move to a point on the X-axis in the positive direction (the further away from your origin the better)

Step 4. Move to a point on the Positive X/Y Plane (again the further away from origin the better.)

So if you have followed these steps to the letter your base calculation should be oke. If this is the case i can probably guess where it is going wrong.

If for example your new X-axis is in the same direction as your X-world axis. but your new Y-axis is in the opposite direction of the world Y-axis then your z-axis also flips.

The relation between X,Y and Z is locked so you can not just flip 1 axis and expect the others to be the same. Check this before you measure a Base.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• 3-point method needs Origin, followed by a point on the positive X axis, then a point in the positive XY plane. Getting either the 2nd or 3rd points wrong will invert the entire Base frame.

Looking "down" on a pallet, a Base on the pallet corner should have the Origin at the bottom right, X+ "up", and XY+ in the "upper left".

• Yeah...you guys got me.

At first I was... "order of points matter" ... how can that be, the software asks for the points in a specific order that I follow.

BUT... I wanted the origin to be at the top left corner hence the flipping of the Z.

As this cannot be I have to resort to the origin being at the bottom left corner.

Thank you guys!

• You can still have your point of origin in the top left corner if you want to. In that case you have to rotate your base around the z-axis (if you want to work in X/Y positive plane). If that doesn't matter to you can always work in Y negative.

What i am trying to say that when working with a base the choice is completely yours on how to implement them as long as you understand how they work.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

Advertising from our partners