Reset the current running program

• (Background)

We bought the system from OEM with complicated Vision system with Kuka robot.

Now the OEM is out of the business and this complicated Omron/Cognex vision systems must be exchanged with easier Keyence vision sensors.

(Sequence of operation)

1. Operator select a part from HMI. 2. Operator place a part in tray. 3. The tray slides in and stops. The robot pick a part. 4. Robot presents to vision sensor to verify the o-ring presence.

5. With "pass" from vision, robot places a part to discharge cylinder tray

I need to reset the kuka and start from factory defaults.

I have a Kuka system doing same (exact) operation but different Kuka robot and software versions.

The current system is KR10 R1100 with KRC4 compact. V.8.3.9 with Work Visual version 3.0

The similar operation robot is KR6 R700 with KRC4 compact V.8.3.35 with Work Visual version 5.0

I saw a topic covering my question how to reset.

D drive's KRC setup to reset is not much explained.

Can I overwrite one's archive file into old one. Then fix the error as it appear?

Someone, please give me a correct path to start.

As always, thanks in advance!

• Place your Ad here!
  • Can I overwrite one's archive file into old one.

NO. NEVER DO THIS.

Before going any further, we need to know:

1. Does the "new" vision require any KUKA Tech Packages?

2. What TPs does the KR6 have that the KR10 does not?

3. How doe the KR10 connect to the Omron/Cognex vision system? This connection will need to be removed to avoid communication errors.

4. How does the KR6 connect to the Keyenace vision? This communication config will need to be translated to the KR10.

Before making ANY changes, make Archive backups, and also make KSR hard drive image backups if at all possible.

If we assume no KUKA TPs (KOPs) are required, then the simplest approach is simply to:

1. Delete the Omron/Congnex communications from the I/O config of the KR10

2. Delete the application programs from the KR10

3. Copy the communications config and application programs from the KR6 -- note, this may require modification for different IP addresses or other differences that may exist between the KRCs.

4. It may be necessary to locate any variable dependencies and also copy them across

Completely resetting the robot back to factory stock should not be necessary. The greater concern is the KUKA options -- if one KRC has Ethernet/IP, and the other has ProfiNet, then you have a problem. If the Keyence vision requires any special KUKA options that the KR10 lacks, you will have to buy those options for the KR10 before trying any of this.

• there are multiple vision systems out there by each of Omron/Keyence/Cognex. just like there are many vehicles produced by Ford/Toyota/VW...

so to get any sort of conversion path one need to know exact model to be taken out and one that is to replace it along with any tech options and fieldbus type they may use.

also it is unclear what is the complicated part. post talks about implementing process sequence. of course used robot obtained from someone else would need to be setup to do new process.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• To SkyeFire,

1. Does the "new" vision require any KUKA Tech Packages?

A. Ethernet IP, Gripper Tech

2. What TPs does the KR6 have that the KR10 does not?

A. Both units have same TP, Ethernet IP and Gripper Tech.

3. How doe the KR10 connect to the Omron/Cognex vision system? Ethernet IP

This connection will need to be removed to avoid communication errors.

4. How does the KR6 connect to the Keyence vision? Ethernet IP

This communication config will need to be translated to the KR10.

To Panic Mode.

The complicated part for me, initial project written by KUKA is missing.

When we purchase new, Kuka assign an application engineer to program initial programming per request. (Based calculated for EOAT and travel speed/distances)

So I don't know how to find and change such values.

Both replied, kindly, thank you

• There are many different vision options.

One from KUKA is called VisionTech. It builds on Cognex software called VisionPro (does image processing) and requires computer to run on (Kuka PC). Also it uses external GigE camera (the "camera" here is just a sensor). That is different from integrated industrial vision systems such as Cognex InSight. Cognex insight is complete vision system in one small package and many people refer to it as "camera" but ... this is not just camera, it has image processing device built in - hence vision "system".

And of course there are other options too - plenty of brands and products to choose from.

If the vision system connects to KRC via socket TCP/IP, robot will need EthernetKRL option.

If the vision system connects to KRC via some fieldbus, robot will need that fieldbus option - whatever that may be (DeviceNet, ProfiNet, EthernetIP...).

Some people find fieldbus easier to setup and use. Also it makes sense to use same kind of products and software tools since learning curve can be steep.

Note, that is just what is needed to operate vision system (runtime). To actually make the vision application you need programming software too (development). In general you need to buy both. Capabilities of different products is also different and so is the programming or configuration. It takes time to master one product. It takes more to master two.

If your new robot system (with KR10) does not have EthernetIP, and you want to use vison system that expects EtherentIP you will need to contact KUKA and buy EtherentIP tech optoons. most options will be couple of thousands of $$$.

Btw. KR6 and KR10 are robot arms. They are manipulators. In a sense they are stupid devices. They get options in forms of hardware (wiring, tooling, energy supplies).

Here we are talking about communication and data processing. All of this is software and has nothing to do with the particular robot arm. it has all to do with robot controller and KSS (operating system used by robot controller). You can have same robot system (using same robot arm) and very different set of software options (aka Technology Packages).

Your robot was delivered with several projects. At the very least there is

a) Initial project (an empty shell)

b) Base project (simple but working project as created at factory)

c) working project (on brand new systems this is a copy of base project)

You should take a closer look at camera (or what may look like camera) and identify product by reading the label. If you do not know what you are looking at, take a picture of the label and full view of the product and post it here.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• initial project written by KUKA is missing.

Which initial project? The one you want to replace, you probably don't need. And the one you want to replicate, you should be able to simply copy the applicable program modules, and the Ethernet/IP settings.

Whatever project the robot is running is available from the robot, either by connecting with WorkVisual, or taking an Archive and finding the WorkVisual Project file. The Program modules will be in the Files section of the WorkVisual project, and the Ethernet/IP settings under the I/O Configuration.

• I went brave enough, tried D drive KRC setup.

I was able to wipe clean and restart the system.

Then I copied KOPs and application programming from archive file.

So far so good. Now I'm looking for work visual program upgrade as well as software upgrade.

I see there some error messages regarding safety circuits but I think I can manage.

Thanks all for assist me to correct path.

The current system vision uses Omron with Halcon software.

The product with O-ring is not same size every parts, so OEM made complicated(?) visual C++ programming for part image tolerances for precision robot pick positions. This was the major problems for us. Now, with Keyence IV-500 series camera sensors, it only detect its presence and don't care for part sizes.

• Keyence IV series are just a vision sensors which gives you signal TRUE or FALSE. From robot's point of view it is the same as proxy switch. You need a software from Keyence to setup a condition when sensor returns True on its output. Because it is smarter device you may have multiple conditions and request sensor to change them almost on the fly, but at the end it will give you just TRUE or FALSE.