question about setting up KRC4 robot

• I got a KRC4 robot that is missing a harddrive; how hard is it or is it even possible to reconfigure the robot using an image from different robot? Also, according to the datasheet the robot was running version 8.2, but my image has software version 8.3, is that going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

• you can open the cabinet and see on the right wall labels with licensed software versions.

you can contact KUKA, provide your robot info and get installs for the software versions you are entitled to. upgrading KSS and options is expensive unless there is an issue with one of them, then KUKA may offer another version for free. if you just choose to use different software than your controller is supposed to have, you are engaging in software piracy.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• so, I finally got an answer from Kuka and they want to sell me the software. Am I asking wrong questions, isn;t the software already part of the cabinet?

Thanks

• so, I finally got an answer from Kuka and they want to sell me the software. Am I asking wrong questions, isn;t the software already part of the cabinet?

Thanks

Yes, when robot was sold it was delivered with all the software. Asking for copy of the software should be free (or nearly free, depending on region you are in, you may be asked to pay for a small fee to get you this).

If the offered software is a different version from one you already have license for, then software would be sold and that would be expensive (few thousands of $$$). And if the request or KUKA offer is to have KUKA provide some other service, that too can be expensive. An example would be to provide Kuka recovery usb stick, or prepare image matching factory delivered software, or to have KUKA tech on site to perform installs...

Finally, about "are you asking the wrong questions" - that is quite possible...

For example I don't know what you asked or what they offered but - here we are and you are asking those that were not part of communication to comment on that communication.

So if you are to save the money, stay the course, you tell them what you need - software that cabinet was delivered with and exact versions that are listed on the license stickers inside cabinet...

KUKA is a business. They are not in there for fun or charity, they are there to make money. So talking to someone can be much like talking to a car dealer or telemarketer. If you do not know what you want or do not insist on what you actually need, you may as well be offered a tropical vacation and property on the moon.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Also, according to the datasheet the robot was running version 8.2, but my image has software version 8.3, is that going to be a problem?

so, I finally got an answer from Kuka and they want to sell me the software. Am I asking wrong questions, isn;t the software already part of the cabinet?

KSS 8.2 is part of the original sale. KUKA will normally supply a copy of whatever KSS and TPs the robot was originally shipped with for free. They will also normally provide any KSS 8.2 updates (patches, security updates, etc) for free.

However, upgrading from 8.2 to 8.3 is not free. That's a major revision upgrade.

There's also the issue of the installer. Even if KUKA provided an install image for free, you probably still need a KSR USB stick to install whatever image they send you onto the robot hard drive.

You did not say what they are offering to sell you: A KSR stick? A KSS 8.3 image? A KSS 8.2 image?

• after reading the email again, they are offering to upgrade to 8.5 and they are saying this can be done onsite or by me sending in the hard drive.

Question, why can't i use an image from the exact same cabinet to get this one running? Both versions would be 8.2.

• i do not understand what the confusion is. just tell them that you do not want software upgrade - you only want same software that is already licensed.

on second thought... you do need a lot of hand holding and nobody has time for that. so KUKA seem to be taking correct approach...

3) read 1 and 2

• :-), I have been working with KRC2s for years, but I am new to KRC4 and that is why I was asking if anyone would be interested to spend couple hours to help me out. I would pay for your time.

• where are you located? there is likely someone closer by... remote support is possible but you need to be prepared for that:

1. do you have all the software yet? take a picture of the inside of the cabinet where the licenses are, make a list and tell KUKA "i have controller serial number xxxxx with robot arm serial number yyyyy and need following software versions to reinstall :...."

2. do you have USB recovery stick?

3. do you have detailed info of your system? What is connected to it? Any external axes? What hardware is inside cabinet (KPP type, KSP type and locations, SIBs..)

4. what is the exact robot model? picture of the robot label needed.

5. any external RDCs? if there is no external axis chances are there would be two KSPs (same or different) and KPP0.

6. did you try connecting monitor to KPC? Older motherboards did not have any video port, only later they were fitted with something (DVI, VGA, HDMI, DP, whatever). probably not needed but... if it is needed, then installing video card may be the only way forward. for example if CMOS settings are lost and system does not boot any more.

7. what is the safety interface and is it complete? Or at least is it in original (KUKA) condition?

8. how is the cabinet powered? (what voltage/grounding...?) is there a transformer? what kind?

etc.

3) read 1 and 2

• I am located in Dallas, TX

1. do you have all the software yet? take a picture of the inside of the cabinet where the licenses are, make a list and tell KUKA "i have controller serial number xxxxx with robot arm serial number yyyyy and need following software versions to reinstall :...."

Not yet, working with kuka to get that

2. do you have USB recovery stick?

i do not

3. do you have detailed info of your system? What is connected to it? Any external axes? What hardware is inside cabinet (KPP type, KSP type and locations, SIBs..)

I have 3 cabinet and 2 of them have external axis configured and 1 does not. I am looking to get the one that doesn't have external axis configured. Robot has nothing connected to it and just looking to get the robot moving. KSP: ECMAS3D2224BE531, KPP ECMAP0D3004BE531, I have to get back to you on the SIB, but it is a 2012 cabinet.

4. what is the exact robot model? picture of the robot label needed.

KR270 R2700 ultra year 2012

5. any external RDCs? if there is no external axis chances are there would be two KSPs (same or different) and KPP0.

NO

6. did you try connecting monitor to KPC? Older motherboards did not have any video port, only later they were fitted with something (DVI, VGA, HDMI, DP, whatever). probably not needed but... if it is needed, then installing video card may be the only way forward. for example if CMOS settings are lost and system does not boot any more.

I did connect the monitor to KPC and it loads.

7. what is the safety interface and is it complete? Or at least is it in original (KUKA) condition?

not sure how to answer this one, don't know enough.

8. how is the cabinet powered? (what voltage/grounding...?) is there a transformer? what kind?

etc.

Cabinet is connected to 480V and it does power up.

• Question, why can't i use an image from the exact same cabinet to get this one running? Both versions would be 8.2.

Also, according to the datasheet the robot was running version 8.2, but my image has software version 8.3,

Your original post in this thread said you had an image of a KSS 8.3 robot, that you wanted to clone into the robot that originally shipped with 8.2. I've never seen KUKA charge for providing the same image the robot shipped with, but they will definitely charge for an upgrade.

if you have a working 8.2 HDD image, you might be able to clone the hard drive into the other robot. It can create issues if both robots are on the same network, but I've seen it work before. You're liable to run into issues with differing robot arm models, and you would be limited to whatever options the image-source robot had installed, but it could work.

It wouldn't hurt to try. You'll want a new, blank hard drive to put into the destination robot, and clone the source robot HDD onto it. On first boot, you'll get a HDD/RDC mismatch alarm, and be sure to choose the correct option -- some KSS versions ask which unit is "correct", and others ask which unit was replaced, so read the error message carefully.

That said, this is not necessarily legal. If both robots had the same option set, then you're not technically stealing anything. But if the source robot had options that the destination robot didn't, then you're illegally copying software. This would be the same issue with cloning in the 8.3 image you originally said you had. It might actually work (probably would work, if KUKA says this KRC will accept 8.5), but would definitely be illegal and unethical.

• SkyeFire I am talking to Kuka but they are being super slow, one reply every few days. The part I need help with is to get the robot moving without any attachments and since I am very new to KRC4 I am very lost.

• 1. creating project also requires detailed list of software and exact versions. if you expect help (KUKA ... or me), you need to be more forthcoming. nobody is going to continue pulling info out of you. btw my default limit is is to offer up to 3 replies before i lose interest... and this is already 6th one (possibly last one).

2. that is a prerequisite. if you do not have one and don't want to buy one, ask around if you can borrow it. there is no installing of Windows and KSS on KRC4 without this.

3. that is not detailed. need pictures of things inside the cabinet, connector panel etc. need picture of every label on each component to identify it. need one on each drive in case FSoE address need to be assigned.

4. that is not a picture of robot label

5. ok

6. ok

7. same as 3

8. this is not detailed - not by a long shot. again you did not share photo of the cabinet label. things like this can cause damage and destroy pretty much everything in the controller. first thing is to determine if this is even compatible with the power source (where did these robots come from? are they at least North American version?). and some places use corner grounded delta or other crap. KRC is not compatible with that. standard KRC4 is only to be powered by symmetrical 400VAC 3P 50/60Hz (source must be center grounded wye). Anything else requires an isolation transformer... If the source is not exceeding 480V but it is compatible and properly grounded (as mentioned - must be symmetrical wye), then it is possible to use the system without transformer but .... in this case MADA must be chosen for THAT specific supply voltage. Cabinet configured with standard MADA (400V) will boot on 480V but then when you enable drives, they will usually blow up right away, sometimes later, when you start moving robot. if i am not mistaken each KPP/KSP is some $5k if not more so loosing three such devices in a blink of an eye is not something most people are ready for.

3) read 1 and 2

• 1. I believe the software is 8.2, if I am answering your questions please let me know what else I am missing.

2. I misunderstood your statement, I own many usb sticks, can you tell me what size does it need to be?

Advertising from our partners