PROFINET IO communication between Siemens S7 1512SP PLC and PROFINET FANUC board

• Hi,

I must to make PROFINET IO communication between Siemens S7 1512SP PLC with FANUC Robor R-30iB Plus. The FANUC communication card is PROFINET FANUC board (A05B-2600-S523).

In TIA Portal side, I import GSDML file. I insert PROFINET Stack into Device & Network, and add DI 512 and DO 512 at slot 1 and 2 respectively. By means of TIA Portal I set IP address and PROBINET name to the PROFINET FANUC board.

I connect PROFINET FANUC board to the switch at port 3.

According the manual three files must be created: device1.zip, tic.zip, dev_config.dt

The creation of device1.zip (device1.xml) is clear.

Now I am straggling with creation of tic.zip and dev_config.dt.

For tic.zip you need PLCnext Engineer 2022 software from PHOENIX CONTCT to create file. To do that first you need a .fdcml file, which can be obtained from FANUC file. I made the configuration but in documentation is written that GSDML file for Siemens PLC must be imported. The Siemens PLC is IO Controler and there is no GSDML file! In addition to export GSDML file from TIA Portal, Siemens PLC must be configured as I-Device, but it is not possible, because for that you need to specify another IO Controller.

I also have doubts regarding dev_config.dt. If the .name and .station_id must related to anything from tic.zip configuration?

Any way I did the files, put them in FR:\pnfb folder in system R-30iB Plus, load the configuration into PROFINET FANUC board. There is no errors, but Siemens PLC, shows no communication with R-30iB Plus.

Does anybody make such configuration? Any help will highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Svetozar Yolov

• I guess your robot controller is the Device and your Siemens PLC is the Controller. If you are only using the Device function on the robot side, you only need to create the device1.zip file. tic.zip and dev_condig.dt are only required when the robot controller is also used as a PROFINET Controller.

Did you correctly create the device1.zip? I am asking because one of the examples in the manual is not correct (the numbering of the module slots are incorrect). Could you post your device1.zip? Then I will have a look on it.

• Hi, DS

Thank you very much for the response.

You are right, CPU 1512SP is IO Controller and robot is IO device.

Here is my device1.zip. Creating the file, I follow strictly recommendation in manual. I decide to have 512 inputs and 512 outputs. That is why I configure in TIA Portal:

- Slot 0 - PROFINET Stack

- Slot 1 DI 512

- Slot 2 DO 512

The documentation is not very clear. Especially, when related to the tic.zip.

The files (device1.zip, tic.zip, dev_config.dt) I prepare was copied into FR:\pnfb\ folder. I start profinet card and there is no errors. Unfortunatelly, Siemens PLC reports, error communicating with PROFINET IO Device (PROFINET FANUC board).

In documentation manual B-82864EN_07.pdf, it is considered configuration for IO Controller and I-device (when using Siemens CP1604/1616) but not IO device (which is my case).

You help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Svetozar

• In this case, you don't need the tic.zip and dev_config.dt files. Did you check if the device1.zip file is copied to the correct folder and also updated? Your device1.zip file only has 2 bytes In and Out configured. This is wrong since you want to use 64 bytes In and Out.

That is why I configure in TIA Portal:

- Slot 0 - PROFINET Stack

- Slot 1 DI 512

- Slot 2 DO 512

Please also change the DIs and DOs on the TIA portal side. Use slot 1 for DO512 and slot 2 for DI512. Reason: On the robot side you have slot 1 for DIs and slot 2 for DOs. It has to be the other way round on the PLC side.

What is the system software version of your R-30iB Plus? Is it <= V9.40P/22 or >= V9.40P/25? With this information I can reliably check your device1.zip file. The GSDML files and the device1.zip file are different for these system software versions. Please check if you are using the correct files.

• Dear DS,

Thank you very much for the update.

Regarding the I/Out bytes in device1.zip, it was my mistake. At the beginning, I did right (In of 64 bytes, and Out of 64 bytes). Next I decide to o experiments and by mistake I sent you wrong file.

Now my device1.zip is as the following:

Here are modules description:

<Module Slot="1" ID="17">

<Submodule API="0" Subslot="01" ID="0x00000001" Inputlen="64" Outputlen="0" />

</Module>

<Module Slot="2" ID="18">

<Submodule API="0" Subslot="01" ID="0x00000001" Inputlen="0" Outputlen="64" />

</Module>

Attached is corrected file.

In addition I switched the IO modules in TIA portal:

- Slot 1 is DO 512

- Slot 2 is DI 512

My system software version of R-30iB Plus is V9.40P-20.

Our FANUC representative, send me the following GSDML file:

GSDML-V2.41-Fanuc-A05B2600S523V940P4P-20210921.xml

My PROFINET FANUC board is A05B-2600-S523.

Can you advise me the configuration I must do on 6 SETUP -> PROFINET I/O menu.

My robot is IO device, but at PROFINET I/O General screen there are:

I/O Controller

I-Device

I believe that :

I/O Controller - DISABLED

I-Device - ENABLED

Is that correct?

Next on Setup PROFINET I/O I/O Controller:

1 Error one shot: Disable

2. Number of digital inputs: 512

3. Number of digital outputs: 512

4. Number of analog inputs: 0

5. Number of analog outputs: 0

6. Digital inputs offset address: ???

7. Digital outputs offset address: ???

8. Analog inputs offset address: 0

9. Analog outputs offset address: 0

10 Clear Alarm Storm: Execute

Is that correct?

Next at Setup PROFINET I/O I-Device:

1 Error one shot: Disable

2. Number of digital inputs: 512

3. Number of digital outputs: 512

4. Number of analog inputs: 0

5. Number of analog outputs: 0

Is that correct?

Which rack number I must use for digital inputs/outputs configuration:

- 99 = PROFINET I/O controller

- 100 = PROFINET I/O device?

Best regards,

Svetozar

• GSDML file and device1.zip file seems to be correct for your system software version. I will check it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Regarding the PROFINET IO setup on the robot side:

I believe that :

I/O Controller - DISABLED

I-Device - ENABLED

Is that correct?

IO Controller - DISABLE and I-Device - ENABLE is correct.

Clear all IO assignments for the IO Controller. I-Device settings looks correct. I-Device is using rack 100, slot 1.

Did you correctly set up IP address and PROFINET name (e.g. via PRONETA or another tool) for the FANUC board? Otherweise no connection is possible.

All the changes on the robot side require the FANUC board in STOP mode. After that, set the mode to RUN and perform a power cycle.

• Are you sure that the module description in your device1.zip is correct? At least on my mobile phone it looks like it is in the wrong order (Submodule API, Subslot, etc.). I will check it tomorrow.

Edit:

Sorry, my mistake. Order of description is correct.

• Dear DS,

I follow you advices and have some success - see "TIA - Device & Network - arc-robot01.png",

You advise me to put DO on slot 1 and DI on slot2 (vice versa of the configuration in robot) but when I go online, in TIA portal, the modules are not green. That is why I place DI first slot, DO second slot.

As you see that IO modules are OK, but the port is not right. I am connected to port 3 (as it is described in manual B-82864EN_07.pdf) but TIA Portal diagnostic claim that it is port 1.

I am wondering if it is issue with configuration if digital IO in teach pendant. That is why I did some picture of DI/DO configuration.

Any other ideas what could be wrong?

I hope that you can not get bored from my question/problems!

Best regards,

svetozar

• My system software version of R-30iB Plus is V9.40P-20.

Our FANUC representative, send me the following GSDML file:

GSDML-V2.41-Fanuc-A05B2600S523V940P4P-20210921.xml

My PROFINET FANUC board is A05B-2600-S523.

I have checked the GSDML file you are using. For your R-30iB Plus with system software version V9.40P/20 you have to use another GSDML file. Also the device1.zip file is different for <= V9.40/22. Please find attached the correct GSDML file. I have also written a correct device1.xml for you. Please double-check the device1.xml.

What you should do now:

Exchange the GSDML file in TIA portal. Make sure IP address and PROFINET device name are also correctly configured in TIA Portal. And again, please use the below slot order for DOs and DIs for the robot in TIA portal.

Please also change the DIs and DOs on the TIA portal side. Use slot 1 for DO512 and slot 2 for DI512. Reason: On the robot side you have slot 1 for DIs and slot 2 for DOs. It has to be the other way round on the PLC side.

Also update the device1.zip on the robot controller and check if all settings in the PROFINET IO setup are correct.

• Dear DS,

Many thanks for the files. I did as you advice and now I have got PROFINET IO communication with R-30iB plus, PROFINET card.

For the GSDML file it is clear.

Regarding the device1.xml file, it is very confusing! According the documentation (B-82864EN/07, page 52):

- ID=17 is Input 512 points

- ID=18 is Output 512 points.

In my device1 is set:

-<Module ID="17" Slot="1">

<Submodule ID="0x00000001" Outputlen="0" Inputlen="64" Subslot="01" API="0"/>

</Module>

-<Module ID="18" Slot="2">

<Submodule ID="0x00000001" Outputlen="64" Inputlen="0" Subslot="01" API="0"/>

</Module>

In SETUP, PROFINET, [Other], I-Device, Slot 1 details, it is recognized as:

- Slot 1 – ModId=”0x11” (17), Inputlen="0", Outputlen="64"

- Slot 2 – ModId=”0x12” (18), Inputlen="64", Outputlen="0".

It is vice-versa, to what I put into xml file.

Do you think that it is system behavior or it is mistake of module type ID?

I have difficulties configuring the mapping of logical I/O to physical I/O. Finally, I succeed with the following mapping:

I/O Digital In

1 DI[ 1- 512] RACK=100 SLOT=1 START=1

I/O Digital Out

1 DO[ 1- 512] RACK=100 SLOT=1 START=1

Now there is no errors, and I can change robot’s input from PLC outputs and vice versa.

I want to thank you one more time for your time and good will to help me.

I would bought you a few beers gladly!!!!

Best regards,

Svetozar

• Thank you very much for the feedback.

That is indeed confusing. Unfortunately, I have no real robot at the moment to check it. In a few weeks I have some robots with a FANUC PROFINET board. I will then have a look on it.

• At the moment I have some robots with software version V9.40P/33 and FANUC PROFINET board. I have the same behavior you have described.

It is confusing but it seems to be all correct. The configurartion on the PLC side need to match with the configurartion of the device1.xml. The slot order on the robot side (shown in the I-Device module list) is swapped. I have also checked this with the FANUC tech support and they confirmed that everything is correct.

• hello yolov and ds186,

I also facing the same issue in profinet communication with fanuc board.

i'm performing io device communication not a controller.

for device communication also all three files are required device1,tic ,dev_config.dt ????

• Hey guys,

I need your help. I have a similar problem.

I want to make Profinet IO communication between Siemens PLC S1200 DCDCDC(IO Controller) and Fanuc Robot (IO device-R30iB-Mini Plus).

I am able to see the connection in PRONETA but in Role section it says Not defined ( it should say something like Device or slave)( Image in attachment below) and also I am getting the error in the TP PRIO-621 PNIO(D) device is not running.

I have configured my Fanuc Profinet Card using TIA portal and used this file : GSDML-V2.41-Fanuc-A05B2600S523V940X-20210511.xml

I am ready to provide the documents if anything else is also needed to verify.

Thanks all in advance

Docs in attachment:

- PRONETA software images

- device1.zip

- TIA Portal image

Advertising from our partners