FANUC Safety check in Auto Mode with DCS

• Hello everyone,

The Profinet configuration between R-30iB Plus and Siemens PLC is established. Digital I/O checked.

DCS signals connected through Safe I/O Connect Function (CSO connected with SSI and SSO connected with CSI) for comunication with the PLC. Also run properly.

Created a simple program for checking if robot stops when I open the door or press External E-stop ( All signals go through PLC (PLC is master)).

In T1 robot stops, but I cannot run the program in AUTO. Shows Error Syst-011 - Failed to run task.

I tried in config with LOCAL instead of Remote, but doesnt do anything.

As I am new to FANUC, i dont know if i need to configure UOP signals ( I don't have any). I read few places that people use them for AUTO mode.

I would be grateful if somebody can give any pointers/ideas.

Regards,

• There is normally an additional message that comes with the SYST-011 alarm, for example something like "Program not paused", PNStrobe is off", etc. Check the alarms on the TP.

I guess you want to start the robot via PLC?! If yes, you need to properly configure the UOP signals (depending on the start method). Check this blog for some really helpful basic information on how to start a FANUC robot in Auto mode.

• Thanks for the responses, HawkMe and DS186

Yes, I want to start with PLC(all data goes through the PLC - the door, external E stop...)

As I understand from the blog, at first I need to choose Production Start method (In my case UOP) and program select method (Other) from the Config menu, right?

The thing that I don't understand is in order to work with UOPs I need to have them configured first with proper rack number, slot... so that will allow me to communicate with the PLC. The PLC already send/receive IOs digital and DCS safety signals. That's all that it sends/receive, at least thats what the PLC programmer says he needs. So I don't know what/how to connect/configure the UOPs to.

If you have some pointers for this please let me know. Thanks

• So, in my case because of Profinet I have rack 102, slot 1, start 1 and so on... as same as i did for Digital I/Os. If that does the job will be great. Thanks, I will try

• In case you have Molex Dual Channel PROFINET it is rack 102. For Siemens CP16xx it is rack 100 (both for PROFINET Device). Check the blog for the important signals. Do you have the manual for basic operation? All the start methods and signals are described in that manual.

• It is Molex Dual Channel PROFINET, so its 102 rack. I dont have that manual for basic operation. If you can send me the code name for the manual that is on Fanuc Portal (Europe) perhaps i can find it and that would be great. Or if you know some other way of getting it. Thanks anyways.

• I have tried, but only gives B-83284EN -1 named Alarm Code list Operators manual.

The other thing I want to ask, i have in the profinet software from the menu I/O - Profinet(M) that I add safety I/O and DI/DO

I have this:

1. Safety 8 bytes (They connect with CSI/CSO DCS signals, automatically mapped they appeared )

2. DO 32 Bytes ( Digital Outputs mapped on Rack 102 , slot 1, starting from 1 to 256 bit)

3. DI 32 Bytes ( Same as for DO)

And this is same from the PLC side and I can see them all working(blink on PLC/Robot side), but I don't have any more IOs for UOP.

Should I add more signals DO/DI for the UOPs? The PLC project on PLC side require only those, as I understand.

I don't know if I am clear, but logically it should correspond physically with the signals of the PLC for the interaction. Then if i add more DI/DO signals, PLC should add also more and add more logic ?

• Thanks HERMAN, I as soon as I get to the robot, i will try and will write here the result.

DS186, I think I found it, probably is this one B-83284EN/10. Says Operators Manual - Basic Function. I will see. Thanks anyways.

• Now it works, with taking the place of first 20 DI/DOs.

I use PNS method to choose the program from an integer number that I receive from PLC, by combination of 8 bits, and that works fine.

But in order to run the program I must have selected the program first and then PLC can start it.

Is it possible to have like a Cell program or Main program which will consist of only home position for example, which I can select from the beginning. Then the robot can receive job numbers from the PLC without have to select manualy the program?

• Usually we have a Main Program, which consist in do a verifications of program, like what program my PLC is sending to me choose, if robot is home, but always we have a manual intervetion and we want start from beginning we have to select the Main Program manually

• Yes it is possible to automatically start a main program via PLC. In case of program selection method PNS or RSR you have to follow a naming convention for the main programs in order to be able to start them from external. For example:

You want to start a main program 1 from external with the PNS method. For this, you have to create a main program called "PNS0001" (in case the base number is 0, which is default). Then you have to send decimal 1 from your PLC to your PNS inputs.

• Thanks for the reply Dudz. I understand what you tell me, so in my case for example I take PNS0001 as a Main. Inside I can execute different movements, call programs and so on, then I should send the PLC some finished job message, right?

I will give you an example maybe to be more precise: I have worked with Kuka VKR and it has one so called Cell program which is by default always selected when I am in AUTO mode(External). Then the PLC gives different program numbers(depending on task) and robot executes it, then in the end sends back finished job signal and robot goes back to that Cell program. And I never have to turn to manual T1 mode to select the Main. Only of course, if some interruption happens.

I don't know if I am clear, but it would be really helpful if this is possible on Fanuc also.

• Thanks DS186. About choice of main programs, I understand you mean Main program number 1 is PNS0001, Number 2 is PNS0002 and so on... just does it mean that I must manually select the program from Select menu, so that PLC can Start it?

That is how it worked for me only, the PLC couldnt choose the program (PNS0001 or PNS0002) if I havent selected it myself first in the select menu.

• A manual selection of the program you want to start is not necessary. For this you have the PNS signals (PNS1-8).

Please check your settings in the system config menu. Set "START for CONTINUE only" to TRUE and use PROD_START (UI18) instead of START (UI6) to start a program from external. In addition to that, you have to follow a sequence between robot controller and PLC. This is also described in the manual. In my revision 9 of the manual it is chapter 3.8.2.

• Thanks DS186. As you said, I have tried the steps about PNS from the manual, but didn't work for me, the program had to be selected manually still. Maybe its something I don't get for the moment.

I chose one Main program which will be always selected, and from there I will call other programs, movements with Group I\O etc... For the moment that's the only solution it works.

Advertising from our partners