Remove existing I/O, clean KSS, etc

• KRC2ed05, running KSS 5.6.10

I'd like to clean out all the existing stuff from the previous owner, removing the grippertech, spottech and all that peripheral treasure that I don't need. They had many plugins but I'm just going to be doing 4 or 5 basic I/O's through a wago 750.

I've been trying to reinstall KSS entirely and start with a blank-ish slate, but I'm stopped by not having a ps2 keyboard (I think? ref [SOLVED] KUKA KRC2 Windows fail) so that's on it's way. I'm not super clear on how exactly to reinstall KSS anyway, is this all it is?:

0) create clone drive, put it somewhere safe

1) hold shift key (on ps2 keyboard)

2) power on controller

3) release shift key after windows screen fully loaded

4) navigate to d:/KRC1_CD and run SETUP.exe

I can't stop Kuka cross / HMI from auto starting, so unless I can safely kill tasks through the task manager I'm waiting for the keyboard.

In the meantime, I'm trying to calibrate the robot (using robodk, I have the wrong robot type at the moment.) but when I start the positions program, I get an error message waiting for an input to turn on:

Any ideas where this is checking for the input? The closest I've gotten is the config.dat file with the error message.

Next idea was to try replacing machine.dat and robcor.dat like this thread suggests: Clean $config, cell.dat and sps.sub, etc. Not sure where cell.src fits in, but I didn't have one in my R1 folder & adding one had no effect.

Here is an archive from this morning before I started fighting too much, any insight would be huge.

ol33100r01.zip

• I copied a very minimalist config.dat from the KRC1_CD folder, and replaced the R1/system dat file (renamed original to ogconfig.dat and moved to a R1/system/backupinfo folder). Cold booted, and surprise, the original config.dat was there again. I tried again in case I had copied the wrong file, same thing.

seems like config.dat would be triggering the issues I'm having but apparently I'm still a level too deep.

• Don't copy files with windows explorer or other windows tools, alway use krc HMI. Or do a boot of the system without starting kuka system (i.e. pressing shift on a real keyboard (not kcp) at the cold start of windows, then you can copy files with windows explorer.

Don't create backup files in subfolders of R1, copy them to a separate folder under C:\ or D:\. All folders under R1 will be copied at bootup of the robot system into the vxworks system of the robot. If you have files with same global variables this will lead to many failures and confusion.

• Thanks hermann, I had done it this way with our other robot and it worked fine so I didn't think anything of it. I'll do as you suggested instead, and see if moving the backup config file to D:\ does the trick.

Although I'm waiting for the ps2 keyboard to arrive, my usb keyboard doesn't have any effect.

• Although I'm waiting for the ps2 keyboard to arrive, my usb keyboard doesn't have any effect.

Odd. Any ed05 KRC2 should have the USB port working 100%.

Protip: before making ANY changes to this robot, CLONE THE HARD DRIVE!!!! I cannot stress this enough. If you manage to break something badly while making mods, recovery could be impossible without getting original install CDs from KUKA. Especially since it sounds like this particular KRC2 might not be entirely standard.

Also, I wouldn't be too aggressive about "cleaning" this robot. Just clearing the /R1/Programs, and commenting out the missing I/O hardware, should be enough. GripperTech and SpotTech shouldn't get in your way.

• Odd. Any ed05 KRC2 should have the USB port working 100%.

Protip: before making ANY changes to this robot, CLONE THE HARD DRIVE!!!!

Our other ed05 had no problems with the KSS reinstall that way, this one really makes me scratch my chin for this and other little things. I've got two clones tucked away, so I'm good to go there.

The plugins I'd like gone are welding ones (including the cover I/O that's stopping my programs), there are 3 pages on the left of the TP home screen with buttons like "dress tip", "measure tip"... things like that. Eventually I'll have an operator running this cell and the fewer buttons they can press, the better. With some thought maybe I'll get to only needing an ext start button, right now I need the pig functional before I can put lipstick on it!

• there also exists usb ps2 adapter dor keyboard and mouse.

I get this adapter as part of my usb key board

and that is the key... adapter was INCLUDED with keyboard.

the thing is that PS2 adapter is just form fitting plug - it has no PS2 aware electronics or anything that would implement PS2 keyboard protocol...

the real PS2 interface is in the keyboard itself - or it does not exist. in other word you cannot use the PS2 adapter and just plug in ANY of the USB keyboards you like. if the keyboard does not speak PS2, then PS2 adapter will just power the keyboard and nothing else. keyboards are cheap so just get the real PS2 keyboard ... or ... get a keyboard that comes with own PS2 adapter. that way you can be sure that keyboard you are getting really does have PS2 support.

Btw KRC2ed05 will work with USB keyboards. I have used it many times.

And please do not post images on external sites. this can really tick off users that are trying follow the topic (or trying to help you) so externally hosted files should really be considered only in emergencies.

About reinstalling KSS... i would say go for it but first make sure that you have proper backups. Ideally don't even touch original HDD, install new KSS from scratch on another media (maybe choose SSD over HDD).

if you want to clean it up some manual work will be needed.

SPS.sub, CELL.src etc. can be deleted and recreated since templates contain clean copy. remove anything added to user section of $CONFIG.DAT

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• And please do not post images on external sites. this can really tick off users that are trying follow the topic (or trying to help you) so externally hosted files should really be considered only in emergencies.

Here I thought I was doing it the right way with the embed thing, I'll change that in the future.

I ended up moving the major files from R1 to a backup folder on D:\, then copying everything from the D:\KRC1_CD\INTERNAT\KRCSETUP\KRC\ROBOTER\KRC\R1 folder back to main R1 folder (in expert mode). Had a bunch of errors pop up with red X programs in other folders under the R1 folder, I deleted all those and now my program is working fine. Some startup errors about missing signals or something, but I can ack them and they disappear until I cold boot again. That's clean enough for now, until I can get KSS freshly installed.

• thank you.

perhaps let me try to put it into perspective for the sake of others:

the files stored at random external servers are always suspect and pose a potential risk.

if link displays this warning, it means site is not white listed and therefore could be unsafe.

this forum allows inserting various files very comfortably so there is no reason to host files externally there is a problem with the forum (in the past we used to run out of space). all should be good now.

about the red X on your programs:

it normally means that something is broke, usually link to some resource or option.

for example INI fold at the top of SRC is not same on all robots. the more tech options are installed, the more initialization code may be inserted here. if the tech option is removed manually, INI fold is not updated and can complain. there are other reasons too but this is one that seem to be common.

another would be that some of the variables declared in $CONFIG.DAT are no longer available.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I'm back on this project again, I've learned it's a Daimler version with kuka.cpc installed, stopping me from installing additional software (orangeapps pointloader).

I'm trying to get a fresh kss now, but getting this error when I hit setup.exe

I'm holding both ctrl buttons when booting, that or both shift keys seem to stop the Krcstart program (holding just one key has no effect) but the error sure is declaring that something is still running.. I should have snapped a picture of the task manager processes too.

• never worked with CPC but from i understand there is no way to deactivate or uninstall it.

if you want to get rid of it, you would need to install XPe, KSS and other options from scratch. Preferably on a clean new HDD.

3) read 1 and 2

• if you want to get rid of it, you would need to install XPe, KSS and other options from scratch. Preferably on a clean new HDD.

While I was waiting for kuka support, I tried a cloned HDD from my other controller, changed the machine data and it's up and running. Kuka did get back to me and can get me the XPe install, but if this works I'll keep going with it for now.

Advertising from our partners