Roboguide questions

• Hi all,

Starting my journey with Fanuc robots.

Installed roboguide, created a cell from a robot backup.

Added some obstacles and moved the robot to be in the exact position it should be.

Added a part that will have 4 tools in.

It has 2 clamps and 2 vacuum cups in the same gripper mounted in the flange of the robot.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to teach a user frame in Roboguide without opening the virtual teach pendant?

2. From the backup, how can I know how many digital inputs and outputs the real robot has installed?

3. After reading posts here, Maketp seems to be the easiest way to compile programs, where can I find it? (I have roboguide 9V installed, but it is not in the FANUC/Shared/Utilities folder).

4. How can I stop the selected program execution from a program running in background (Background logic)? (No PLC here, so no PNS). If I use that method, will the program start from the beginning or will it continue from where it was?

5. Are the background logic programs started automatically? Should I start them from the selected program?

Thank you very much for your help!

• AD
    • Helpful

1. Is it possible to teach a user frame in Roboguide without opening the virtual teach pendant?

Yes. You can directly manipulate a user frame from the tree, under the robot controller. One of the useful features of RoboGuide is attaching the frame to an fixture, object, or part, and then RoboGuide will dynamically update the user frame when you move the aforementioned around, or if you move the robot around.

2. From the backup, how can I know how many digital inputs and outputs the real robot has installed?

I'm not really parsing this question too well. Like physical IO? Summary.dg from a backup will have a list of all IO used.

3. After reading posts here, Maketp seems to be the easiest way to compile programs, where can I find it? (I have roboguide 9V installed, but it is not in the FANUC/Shared/Utilities folder).

Looks like it is under the WinOLPC\bin folder. However, invoking maketp directly is pretty clunky If you are running RoboGuide with a real license. You can just load the .ls of the program into the vitrual robot, and it will compile it for you. You can then save the .tp out via the tree.

4. How can I stop the selected program execution from a program running in background (Background logic)? (No PLC here, so no PNS). If I use that method, will the program start from the beginning or will it continue from where it was?

There are several methods, but the easiest I find when running a robot without a PLC is to map the UOPs to flags, and then manipulate the flags via BG logic. Flag mapping is covered in this thread. Depending on the start method you chose, and the state of the program, you can either abort the program and start anew, or resume a paused program.

5. Are the background logic programs started automatically? Should I start them from the selected program?

BG programs defined under the setup menu are started the moment the controller finishes booting (assuming they were started). They are always running, unless stopped manually.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here!

• Quote from Joan Murt

Looks like it is under the WinOLPC\bin folder. However, invoking maketp directly is pretty clunky If you are running RoboGuide with a real license. You can just load the .ls of the program into the vitrual robot, and it will compile it for you. You can then save the .tp out via the tree.

You can also use the built in editor and ls > tp converter in RoboGuide's Cell Browser Tree.

It's under the Files branch. The first thing I do is to set a default folder, for me this is usually a folder I create called source.

From then on, you can just add ls files, and edit them with the built in text editor, which has a build button.

This has a much nicer debug window compared to using the virtual TP to load LS files.

Build debug output:

TP debug output, which must be navigated to manually through the virtual TP:

The built in editor does provide nice syntax highlighting, but lacks other useful features like mass find and replace, searching multiple files without case sensitivity, etc.

I prefer to use an external text editor, save them in the editor, and then switch to RoboGuide and right click on the LS file in the File branch of the cell browser an select "Build". The same debug window will popup, I then go back to my editor, make any changes, and work through any additional errors.

This combined with FileZilla makes for quick offline editing that can then be sent efficiently to the real robot. You need to send the TP output, not the LS.

The final icing on the cake using this method is to then grab the LS file off the real robot, which will pretty up your source file by correcting or adding line numbers and comments.

Don't forget:

• Good stuff about offline editing
      • The TP translator only cares about what is between the ": ;" of each line.
      • Comments for registers and I/O aren't needed.
      • Line numbers don't matter
    • Bad stuff about offline editing
      • Remarks that are too long will be automagically truncated
      • Don't try to build a program that is currently paused
      • Don't try to build a program that is aborted, but still selected
      • If you start to get unknown errors on a robot with a lot of large files (offline generated point programs are a big culprit here), you will run out of virtual memory and the build will stall without an error
    • And last, but certainly not least, always have a blank line after the /END of the LS file, this one will drive you mad when no reason can be found that the build failed :wallbash:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Yes there are some quirks , that's just part of the fun of learning Fanucese ;)

• On newer controllers, I've started using the multi-lang remark (--) instead of the orignal remark (!). You can practically write a novel in those.

I think that's the only reason why anyone would ever use them. I've never tried it myselft, but I've heard truly horrible things about how the "multi-language" feature actually translates things. Most people I've worked with eventually just call them multi-line remarks instead of lang.